Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (14 Viewers)

Sky Blue Pete

96 deaths of those having positive test in the last 28 days. Wonder when Boris gets twitchy? They were probably all over 80 or already Ill though so it doesn’t really matter

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
96 deaths of those having positive test in the last 28 days. Wonder when Boris gets twitchy? They were probably all over 80 or already I’ll though so it doesn’t really matter
Deaths FROM covid or just deaths where they were positive in the last 28 days?

CCFCSteve

I am getting pretty tired of this attempt to pin things more on younger people, whether that’s how you mean it to come across or not.

I’m not pining it on young people at all. Read through any of my historical posts and I’ve been clear the younger generations been disproportionately disadvantaged by the pandemic and lockdowns. My post was in response to people querying my comment about taking the vaccine is people’s own choice. The facts are the the facts though, I understand currently that 30% of 18-30 year olds are unvaccinated. I’ve said it’s their choice, and if I was a healthy 20 year old I might make the same one, but my preference would be for more to get vaccinated. It’s up to government/NHS/PHE to educate them as to why it’s best for them and others.

Brighton Sky Blue

I’m not pining it on young people at all. Read through any of my historical posts and I’ve been clear the younger generations been disproportionately disadvantaged by the pandemic and lockdowns. My post was in response to people querying my comment about taking the vaccine is people’s own choice. The facts are the the facts though, I understand currently that 30% of 18-30 year olds are unvaccinated. I’ve said it’s their choice, and if I was a healthy 20 year old I might make the same one, but my preference would be for more to get vaccinated. It’s up to government/NHS/PHE to educate them as to why it’s best for them and others.
Considering that this group was the last to get invited and has been told for months that the AZ jab was a bigger risk to them than COVID, 70% take up and lots of cases of students queuing in their hundreds to get jabbed is impressive. The PM has in any case decided to mass infect all of them anyway so the point seems redundant now

Philosorapter

Probably going to be a big increase in the figures today.

I'm going for around 65,000 covid infections in the UK for today. It is a bit danse macabre but can see today being where we hammer the top of the January wave by a good 10,000.

Philosorapter

The higher the number of patients admitted to the hospital, the more activities will be limited by the Gov by the vaccine passport whenever that is due to start.

Whilst the vaccine has been good at cutting down the number of deaths and hospitalisations, if there isn't a slowing down of the infection rates over the next couple of weeks then their whole strategy is screwed.

robbiekeane

Whilst the vaccine has been good at cutting down the number of deaths and hospitalisations, if there isn't a slowing down of the infection rates over the next couple of weeks then their whole strategy is screwed.
Not sure I can see this happening for a bit. What’s the herd immunity %…supposed to be 75%~80% or something?

We are at 54% of total population double jabbed. 69% first jabbed. I guess when those second jabs roll out we will be close, when you take into account people who’ve hadthe virus too so get natural immunity.

5.5m total UK cases so far. Any way of separating out those from the vaccine numbers? I.e. how many of those 5.5m are not in the vax numbers captured above

Sky Blue Pete

Not sure I can see this happening for a bit. What’s the herd immunity %…supposed to be 75%~80% or something?

We are at 54% of total population double jabbed. 69% first jabbed. I guess when those second jabs roll out we will be close, when you take into account people who’ve hadthe virus too so get natural immunity.

5.5m total UK cases so far. Any way of separating out those from the vaccine numbers? I.e. how many of those 5.5m are not in the vax numbers captured above
I can’t get my head around why we are not certain of repeated infection

skybluetony176

There’s a growing alarm amongst scientists that the Delta variant might require 94% of the total population to acquire herd immunity. You’re wrong on the percentage of population jabbed and double jabbed too. It’s not a percentage of total population it’s the percentage of of over 18’s. Under 18’s account for about 21% of the U.K. population so it’s going to basically require 100% of the adult population to be double jabbed before we reach current estimates on herd immunity and we need to keep our fingers crossed that concerns regarding the delta variant and herd immunity turns out to be incorrect.

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
There’s a growing alarm amongst scientists that the Delta variant might require 94% of the total population to acquire herd immunity. You’re wrong on the percentage of population jabbed and double jabbed too. It’s not a percentage of total population it’s the percentage of of over 18’s. Under 18’s account for about 21% of the U.K. population so it’s going to basically require 100% of the adult population to be double jabbed before we reach current estimates on herd immunity and we need to keep our fingers crossed that concerns regarding the delta variant and herd immunity turns out to be incorrect.
How many under 18's do you think have already had it?

skybluetony176

How many under 18's do you think have already had it?
No idea. But given it’s estimated that you hold onto antibodies an average of 5-7 months after catching it it’s an inefficient way of achieving herd immunity as your basically relying on anyone who hasn’t had the vaccine catching Covid at least twice a year.

robbiekeane

You’re wrong on the percentage of population jabbed and double jabbed too. It’s not a percentage of total population it’s the percentage of of over 18’s. Under 18’s account for about 21% of the U.K.
How am I wrong?
46.3m first doses, 36.2m of which have had second doses.

UK population 66.7m.

Not really sure what you’re on about?

MusicDating

Euro 2016 Prediction League Champion!!
No idea. But given it’s estimated that you hold onto antibodies an average of 5-7 months after catching it it’s an inefficient way of achieving herd immunity as your basically relying on anyone who hasn’t had the vaccine catching Covid at least twice a year.
So herd immunity is impossible as you'll always have a significant percentage whose antibodies have dropped off (be it jabbed or having caught it previously).

The current approach is the correct one then, let's just get on with it?

Sky Blue Pete

So herd immunity is impossible as you'll always have a significant percentage whose antibodies have dropped off (be it jabbed or having caught it previously).

The current approach is the correct one then, let's just get on with it?
But be aware of the consequences and seek to be cautious where appropriate masks indoor activity etc

Sky Blue Pete

We must know though. We’ve definitely been studying it for over a year, as I’ve said my missus was having regular antibody tests in 2020 as part of a trial.
Have you seen anything? Anecdotally ive been told very few people catch it again and Boris self isolating even though he had it bad!!

Confused

shmmeee

Have you seen anything? Anecdotally ive been told very few people catch it again and Boris self isolating even though he had it bad!!

Confused

Nothing. It’s weird because it seems like vital info but I never see it mentioned. Maybe variants change everything? I am not a virologist.

shmmeee

Found this from last month. Answer seems to be: definitely for 6-9 months, probably longer but we don’t have the data to know:

fernandopartridge

Found this from last month. Answer seems to be: definitely for 6-9 months, probably longer but we don’t have the data to know:

Some of the stuff I've read suggests a belief that while antibodies diminish over time, t-cell memory does not so subsequent infections will be less severe. Added to vaccines it should hopefully be relatively benign.

Users who are viewing this thread