Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (42 Viewers)

skybluetony176

Well it wasn't really. I said last year that he was a convenient pantomime villain, a distraction. The Tory members of the cabinet are and were in charge. They are accountable for the lot.
That’s a fair point. I keep making the same observation regarding SAGE. Advisors advise, government governs.

shmmeee

As much as I like that straw haired, Eton educated twat get a kicking...I can't get on board with anything Cummings says. He's a grade A narcissist.

He’s an absolute melon, but if he can back himself up with evidence I see no reason to disbelieve him.

Mostly though it’s fun to watch two twats tear lumps out of each other.

David O'Day

He’s an absolute melon, but if he can back himself up with evidence I see no reason to disbelieve him.

Mostly though it’s fun to watch two twats tear lumps out of each other.

He does seem to have kept the whatsapp messages which kind of ruins whatsapp's latest add campaign

JAM See

Probably. Also shows he's either stupid or deliberately misleading quoting the median age rather than the mean.
I always struggle with median and mean. I know the difference but am unsure which is most appropriate for any given dataset.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I always struggle with median and mean. I know the difference but am unsure which is most appropriate for any given dataset.

It can be annoying and in economics I get annoyed they used the mean and ignore the median (and modal) which would give a better indication of the 'average' person as just a small number of very wealthy people massively skew the mean average up, and often wage/income growth is again massively weighted towards the top.

In this case because so many people dying are elderly it pushes the median age up. For example, lets say 5 people die. They are 90, 82, 76, 64 and 32 the median age would be 76. The mean age is 68. So basically the young people that do die are largely discounted because of the huge numbers of elderly massively outweigh them. Of course it would never take into account health problems and life expectancy as a young person could be terminally ill but an elderly one may have had another 10 or 20 years left in them.

Personally I like to have all the averages available (and the SD)

Ian1779

It can be annoying and in economics I get annoyed they used the mean and ignore the median (and modal) which would give a better indication of the 'average' person as just a small number of very wealthy people massively skew the mean average up, and often wage/income growth is again massively weighted towards the top.

In this case because so many people dying are elderly it pushes the median age up. For example, lets say 5 people die. They are 90, 82, 76, 64 and 32 the median age would be 76. The mean age is 68. So basically the young people that do die are largely discounted because of the huge numbers of elderly massively outweigh them. Of course it would never take into account health problems and life expectancy as a young person could be terminally ill but an elderly one may have had another 10 or 20 years left in them.

Personally I like to have all the averages available (and the SD)
We need more Maths teachers 👍

CCFCSteve

Do you think seatbelts are a matter of personal choice?

When I go around a roundabout I always indicate the opposite direction to what I’m about to go. Personal choice.

Well, you could do both of those things if you wanted to but it would be pretty idiotic and against the law.

My point was we live in a democracy (ish) and there is freedom of choice which I think is ok as long as people aren’t spreading anti vax nonsense on the net to encourage others to follow their decision

I chose to have both jabs as soon as I could, as much for others as myself and I chose to do a number of voluntary shifts in vaccine centres to help people who needed/wanted to get theirs. Of course I’d want everyone to get vaccinated but currently the lower the age, the less the benefit on a personal level, especially if the individual is healthy. Youd hope younger people understand the wider benefits to society but until it’s mandatory it remains their choice*

I honestly think if there was a more certain/accurate testing option ie not submitting your own LF result ! that this should be made available for event entrance as an alternative to double jab. We’ve seen plenty of double jabbed get covid still, especially recently. If you’re negative from an accurate recent test I’d imagine it’s probably less likely that you’ve got it than double jabbed person.

*I’m a frustrated as the next person, as this is aiding the spread, especially in places like Birmingham where take up is lower.

Last edited:

Brighton Sky Blue

Well, you could do both of those things if you wanted to but it would be pretty idiotic and against the law.

My point was we live in a democracy (ish) and there is freedom of choice which I think is ok as long as people aren’t spreading anti vax nonsense on the net to encourage others to follow their decision

I chose to have both jabs as soon as I could, as much for others as myself and I chose to do a number of voluntary shifts in vaccine centres to help people who needed/wanted to get theirs. Of course I’d want everyone to get vaccinated but currently the lower the age, the less the benefit on a personal level, especially if the individual is healthy. Youd hope younger people understand the wider benefits to society but until it’s mandatory it remains their choice*

I honestly think if there was a more certain/accurate testing option ie not submitting your own LF result ! that this should be made available for event entrance as an alternative to double jab. We’ve seen plenty of double jabbed get covid still, especially recently. If you’re negative from an accurate recent test I’d imagine it’s probably less likely that you’ve got it than double jabbed person.

*I’m a frustrated as the next person, as this is aiding the spread, especially in places like Birmingham where take up is lower.

I am getting pretty tired of this attempt to pin things more on younger people, whether that’s how you mean it to come across or not.

Torquay Sky Blue

I had my first vaccine on April 4. I had a heart attack on April 8. I won't be having another jab that's for sure. My cardiologist refuses to link the two but advised me not to have the astrazeneca for my second jab. Bit of a mixed message there which I have in writing.

robbiekeane

And Laurence Fox was at the protests today , he says “we are at war”. Saw some pics of the crowds, bizarrely there were quite a few “Trump 2024” flags in evidence

When Right Said Fred and Laurence Fox declare war, I can’t see their enemy (whoever it actually is) being too concerned.

I’m still not sure what they were protesting against

Who would be a police officer hey. What a bunch of fucking scumbags we have in our country. Love the use of the video camera there, they should do that more often if they don't already - i guess they should all have bodycams but you could see how less willing the trash were to be aggressive when they had a camera in their face.

Brighton Sky Blue

I had my first vaccine on April 4. I had a heart attack on April 8. I won't be having another jab that's for sure. My cardiologist refuses to link the two but advised me not to have the astrazeneca for my second jab. Bit of a mixed message there which I have in writing.

Would you not get Pfizer?

Tommo1993

Have just been pinged and told to take a test, after being in the same place as a positive case. No isolation needed, hope it stays that way.

NorthernWisdom

That's what he advised but shit scared of another heart problem. Really nervous about it .
That's fair enough, and of course it's easy for me to say that you'd be unlucky, harder for you to think the same, I appreciate.

I know we've all turned into doctors around here but, wouldn't the advice to not have AZ for the second be because of risks associated, that may now be an issue because of your medical history because of your heart attack, rather than it being the cause of your heart attack?

Anyway, I hope you're feeling somewhat better now physically, at least!

Torquay Sky Blue

That's fair enough, and of course it's easy for me to say that you'd be unlucky, harder for you to think the same, I appreciate.

I know we've all turned into doctors around here but, wouldn't the advice to not have AZ for the second be because of risks associated, that may now be an issue because of your medical history because of your heart attack, rather than it being the cause of your heart attack?

Anyway, I hope you're feeling somewhat better now physically, at least!
All stented up and fit again thanks mate but anyone with heart history should really think twice before AZ because no ones going to tell you.

Philosorapter

All stented up and fit again thanks mate but anyone with heart history should really think twice before AZ because no ones going to tell you.

Had a cardiac arrest as well and therefore I had the Pfizer one instead of the AZ. They say the AZ one can lead to blood clotting in certain conditions.

Would recommend.

Good to hear you are okay.

clint van damme

Fucking hell. Hope you're on the way to a full recovery mate.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Really sorry to hear that mate, wishing you the best recovery.

Make the right decision for yourself going forwards, but if I were in your shoes I would do exactly the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread