Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (60 Viewers)

shmmeee

The 1k cases per day seems a bit arbitrary, I am all for not unlocking sooner than is safe, but I think you could probably tolerate a higher number of cases per day, particularly if, as more and more people are vaccinated, cases are milder.

I think one thing to consider is new variants and tracking and tracing them. I’d be happier going as low as possible both to reduce the chance of new variants and to ensure TnT works effectively (lol)

NorthernWisdom

I think one thing to consider is new variants and tracking and tracing them. I’d be happier going as low as possible both to reduce the chance of new variants and to ensure TnT works effectively (lol)
I'd also think when we're so close to cracking it, it's better to crush it and be able to let up a little almost permanently, rather than the cycle of lockdown-open-lockdown we've been in. The latter (forget the deaths and illnesses) creates uncertainty, and doesn't help recovery.

clint van damme

The 1k cases per day seems a bit arbitrary, I am all for not unlocking sooner than is safe, but I think you could probably tolerate a higher number of cases per day, particularly if, as more and more people are vaccinated, cases are milder.

I think putting an arbitrary number on cases is a lot more sensible than setting an arbitrary date but you're probably right about it being too low.
Especially given the early data on the effects of the vaccinated groups.

covmark

Mrs has just gone to get hers. Almost all of her colleagues have taken it up too. Seems like almost everyone I know, or the wife knows are going to have it. The take up has surprised me. I thought more people would be sceptical.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

Mrs has just gone to get hers. Almost all of her colleagues have taken it up too. Seems like almost everyone I know, or the wife knows are going to have it. The take up has surprised me. I thought more people would be sceptical.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Skepticism is pretty low but clustered in the young and ethnic communities it seems.

clint van damme

the reduction in daily new cases seems to be really slowing down. Perhaps that's just because the actual numbers are getting lower. Would be intersting to see a graph displaying the drops as a percentage.

1613582340173.png

Ccfcisparks

the reduction in daily new cases seems to be really slowing down. Perhaps that's just because the actual numbers are getting lower. Would be intersting to see a graph displaying the drops as a percentage.

View attachment 18737
Thats my fear with the quoted 1000 daily cases to reduce lockdown. If it keeps slowing the way it is currently, is it likely we even get to 1000 daily cases this year?

clint van damme

Thats my fear with the quoted 1000 daily cases to reduce lockdown. If it keeps slowing the way it is currently, is it likely we even get to 1000 daily cases this year?

as FP said in his earlier post it does seem a bit low. I think they may change the target if the hospitalisations and deaths drop to a level that's, for want of a better word, acceptable.

Ccfcisparks

Still haven't got the test results after I did the test yesterday at 10am. How long have people, who have had the test typically waited for results?

Sbarcher

interesting. Imagine if they'd tried this here?

Since last March they have had 3 alcohol bans and also curfews. Citizens in townships have been beaten and even killed by police and security forces for just having an alcoholic drink.

Township resident Sibusio Amos was another victim of police brutality after he was found drinking in an informal bar, violating government regulations. Police used rubber bullets to remove him and other patrons from the shebeen, then allegedly followed him home and fatally shot him on his veranda. Several children were caught in the crossfire and had to be taken to the hospital. While Khosa’s death and the clearing of the involved SANDF officers are the subject of ongoing investigations into police brutality by the Independent Police Investigation Directorate (IPID), other deaths including Amos’ remain uninvestigated. The South African government has issued a statement condemning the alleged police misconduct.

Brylowes

Since last March they have had 3 alcohol bans and also curfews. Citizens in townships have been beaten and even killed by police and security forces for just having an alcoholic drink.

Township resident Sibusio Amos was another victim of police brutality after he was found drinking in an informal bar, violating government regulations. Police used rubber bullets to remove him and other patrons from the shebeen, then allegedly followed him home and fatally shot him on his veranda. Several children were caught in the crossfire and had to be taken to the hospital. While Khosa’s death and the clearing of the involved SANDF officers are the subject of ongoing investigations into police brutality by the Independent Police Investigation Directorate (IPID), other deaths including Amos’ remain uninvestigated. The South African government has issued a statement condemning the alleged police misconduct.
I wonder how the police have gone about enforcing the ban in the wealthy Joberg and Cape Town suburbs.

tom88

Still haven't got the test results after I did the test yesterday at 10am. How long have people, who have had the test typically waited for results?

last Friday I went for a lateral test and tested negative within the hour. I decided to got for PCR test Saturday morning and my test came back positive Saturday evening

clint van damme

last Friday I went for a lateral test and tested negative within the hour. I decided to got for PCR test Saturday morning and my test came back positive Saturday evening

hope you're okay, the PCR tests are far more reliable.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

They can always just test more people to keep us in lockdown anyway.

Announcement on Monday is it? God, we need some good news.

CCFCSteve

They can always just test more people to keep us in lockdown anyway.

Announcement on Monday is it? God, we need some good news.

That’s a good point ESB and the data has been manipulated in the past. It’s always worth checking number of daily tests alongside the confirmed cases (over a few days) to give a true picture of situation (and hopefully decline). I think the community sample testing would have to be taken into consideration as well as that picks up asymptomatic cases but more importantly the need to consider hospital cases*.

Basically that 1k per day comment (on its own) is nonsense, for example if its a relatively stable 3k per day (from 750k tests) and nobodys ending up serious ill due to a successful vaccine roll out, then that’s surely a lot better than 1k per day (from 200k tests) and 300 ending up in hospital.

There’s plenty for them to consider. Let’s just all hope that it’s done sensibly and the numbers across the board keep coming down at a decent rate

*in four weeks PHE Covid inpatients has dropped from 34k to 15.5k which is great news

clint van damme

government lose court case regarding transparency of contracts handed out during pandemic, (squandering even more public money in the process).
Let's see how much MSM coverage this get.

Users who are viewing this thread