Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (10 Viewers)

ccfc92

Either keep them open or shut them entirely. This half way proposal with schools struggling for staffing as it is, is going to leave us unable to adequately cater for both groups of children. I fully get the difficulties involved for childcare arrangements but I am already being asked to provide digital lessons from home and to do that alongside in school provision is nearly impossible. It isn't fair, sorry to sound fussy or for those on here who are in the health service and have kids at school.

We want to do the best by our students and we will really struggle to do that with these arrangements.

Completely understand and agree, that's why we now need total lock down or carry on as normal. Half in, Half out isn't helping anyone.

Nick

Administrator
I dont get how it will work with exams cancelled.

Will kids have to sit another year now and take them next year?

CCFCSteve

Guessing mocks and course work (had a migraine in my gcse maths...result as I’d flukes an A in my mock ! That was a long time ago though so times might’ve changed)

shmmeee

I see Gary Neville has announced that his hotel company are handing over their hotels to the NHS from Sunday.
Also announced no hotel staff will be losing their jobs or asked to take unpaid leave.
Amazing gesture. Hang your head in shame Branson you money grabbing wank.

Fucks sake. First Jeremy Hunt, now Gary Neville. I’ll have no one left to dislike by the end of this.

In all seriousness. Outstanding gesture.

I am pretty furious with having all the work I have put in to my Year 11 and 13 classes basically getting tossed. All of their work too.

I also have no idea how we are going to simultaneously cater for the small number of children coming in and for the vast majority who will be at home. We are getting shat on from a great height.

Veil is coming off, you’re just there for childcare, education is secondary. Feel for you guys man. Any word on the ground of how it’s going to work or is this as new to you as it is to us?

shmmeee

Are exams definitely cancelled? There goes my exam marking work and with it the holiday with the kids (not that it was likely to happen anyway but still). Maybe I should tell them now while they’re still happy about no school (unless children of teachers are in? Have they done a list of key workers?)

fernandopartridge

Either keep them open or shut them entirely. This half way proposal with schools struggling for staffing as it is, is going to leave us unable to adequately cater for both groups of children. I fully get the difficulties involved for childcare arrangements but I am already being asked to provide digital lessons from home and to do that alongside in school provision is nearly impossible. It isn't fair, sorry to sound fussy or for those on here who are in the health service and have kids at school.

We want to do the best by our students and we will really struggle to do that with these arrangements.

Nah, i've done webinars with people in the room and people on the phone / web, piece of piss. That said, it was only talking somebody through how to evaluate a tender.

Gynnsthetonic

Yes- I had a text from my sister saying loads of army lorries were going up the M69 but I though it was just scaremongering & doesn't really mean anything
My wife just come home from work I'm not going to say where but they are going to deploy the army and have a total shutdown from tomorrow night!

shmmeee

Yeah but they have said they will still get the qualifications they need?

Let’s be blunt here. No one gives a shit once you’re on to your next step. Could give out official estimates grades based on mocks/completed work whatever for CVs and application forms.

Nick

Administrator
Let’s be blunt here. No one gives a shit once you’re on to your next step. Could give out official estimates grades based on mocks/completed work whatever for CVs and application forms.
Speak for yourself, I still take my record of achievement everywhere.

Grendel

Even for trainee medics? Wow

shmmeee

Even for trainee medics? Wow

Why wouldn’t you? Frankly 2/3 through Y11/13 you’ve got enough data to make a reasonable guess. Applications will have been in for medical school long ago and offers made based on predictions.

Brighton Sky Blue

Veil is coming off, you’re just there for childcare, education is secondary. Feel for you guys man. Any word on the ground of how it’s going to work or is this as new to you as it is to us?

Senior management were expecting full closures or none at all, this wasn't really expected. It's also kind of them to ignore teachers' children from the exemption. My missus and I are both teachers and if we had children we'd be stuffed.

Grendel

Why wouldn’t you? Frankly 2/3 through Y11/13 you’ve got enough data to make a reasonable guess. Applications will have been in for medical school long ago and offers made based on predictions.

I know of schools that have given of predictive grades of straight A grades and they ended up with D and E grades. There is no barometer and parents will take legal action if they believe their child is being unfairly graded

shmmeee

I know of schools that have given of predictive grades of straight A grades and they ended up with D and E grades. There is no barometer and parents will take legal action if they believe their child is being unfairly graded

Predicted grades are just one data point though. For Uni apps yes it’s just teachers guessing (though that kind of change without the kid shitting all over his exam paper is pretty unlikely, at least back when the grading system was letters like you’re saying), but you’ve got mocks, FFT data, exam prep and class work that can be more forensically marked. There’s all sorts of ways around it and in these circumstances and it happening to everyone I doubt very much the sharp elbowed parents will get anywhere.

Brighton Sky Blue

This policy is bonkers

Exams cancelled but no indication of whether or not they'll take place eventually or how grades will be awarded. Half in half out for schools so that teachers can be run into the ground and their children stay at home in the process.

djr8369

Was there any mention of parents who can't work as they need to look after their children? Are you expected to rely on SSP? Don't have kids myself but got colleagues who are panicking.

shmmeee

Senior management were expecting full closures or none at all, this wasn't really expected. It's also kind of them to ignore teachers' children from the exemption. My missus and I are both teachers and if we had children we'd be stuffed.

Are teachers children exempt? That’s some pure bullshit. Amazon drivers yes, the people running the “babysitting” (as BBC called it), no.

And yes this is mostly because I don’t want to have to watch them and work from home. There goes my productivity.

EalingSB

EFL media update this morning: Given the unprecedented situation both the country and football industry finds itself in at this current time, I appreciate that everyone is keen to understand what happens next. The EFL and its member Clubs are too.

As you may know the EFL Board is meeting later today. Clearly, it is unknown what the outcome of those discussions will be as there remain many unknowns and challenges to overcome in the weeks and months ahead.

To that end, I commit to update you with any appropriate information at the earliest possible convenience but this is likely to be late afternoon and potentially early evening for any planning purposes.

shmmeee

Exams cancelled but no indication of whether or not they'll take place eventually or how grades will be awarded. Half in half out for schools so that teachers can be run into the ground and their children stay at home in the process.

But they did cancel Ofsted, that’s nice of them. :p

Nick

Administrator
Are teachers children exempt? That’s some pure bullshit. Amazon drivers yes, the people running the “babysitting” (as BBC called it), no.

And yes this is mostly because I don’t want to have to watch them and work from home. There goes my productivity.
You would have thought teachers kids would need to go in if teachers are working?

Brighton Sky Blue

Really hope I'm wrong for my colleagues' sakes but I didn't hear any mention.

Nick

Administrator
Letter from the school saying they will use ms teams and update it every week with a week's worth!

Doesn't sound very short term

Users who are viewing this thread