Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (28 Viewers)

shmmeee

So. What do we reckon today? School closures? Money for people as well as businesses?

Cant see UBI or anything big like rent/utilities freezes. Increase in SSP and benefits maybe?

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

How many are from coronavirus?

The 45 year old who had motor neuron disease was told 2 years ago when he was diagnosed that he had 2 years to live.

Yet the story is 45 year old dies from coronavirus. Proper scare mongering.

Obviously it's sad people are dying, of course it is.
If you read the article he was given 2 months in June 2018. It isn't June yet. People often outlive these estimates. His wife said his "fight with MND was not ready to be over". Yes, he was clearly ill already, but the illness has caused a premature death from an already limited lifespan, so it has killed him. It's not scaremongering. Most of us will be fine, but plenty of people with underlying health issues will die before they should. One of my mates is diabetic, and this is perfectly treatable, however, without his medication he would be dead. God forbid, as a vulnerable person if he was to succumb to this illness despite being otherwise healthy, you would say 'scaremongering'.

Sick Boy

I usually work at home a day a week, this is my third day at home in a row for probably the first time.

I've never been so productive in all my working life. Even communicating is easier because I can do it as and when I have relevant updates which are worth sharing, which aren't diluted with other less relevant messages.
Yeah in an old job I worked from home a couple of days per week. I find it much, much more productive, especially if you have an element of flexi-time, I would start working at 7am and finish around 14:30.

Flying Fokker

Because he did Nick. When they tell you you've got x time to live, it doesn't set a timer. He died of coronavirus ultimately but had underlying health conditions.
When you die of MND you die a death far worse than Coronavirus.

Your muscles waste away your diaphragm gets pushed up to your shoulders and you cannot breathe. It happened to my stepfather anyway. He died gasping for air because his lungs were the size of fists. I suppose they could have put Pneumonia on his death certificate. I wouldn’t believe a word of it.

CCFCSteve

Probably the most important figures currently (confirmed cases are pretty useless as we know there are tens of thousands or more carrying it) are available hospital beds and those in intensive care/on ventilators (and therefore available ventilators)

Grendel

So. What do we reckon today? School closures? Money for people as well as businesses?

Cant see UBI or anything big like rent/utilities freezes. Increase in SSP and benefits maybe?

Schools will have to be closed. I’d assume we will see packed pubs in the media on Mother’s Day and then the full lockdown will occur

London I guess will be totally locked down by the weekend

fernandopartridge

A lot of arguing over graphs and axes and how to display the data. I took the data (confirmed cases) and plotted it linearly. If you then offset our data by 15 days we are on exactly the same curve as Italy, presumably why the government are so keen to increase mitigation measures now to slow it down (Vallance said we're three weeks behind the other day though). Also our rate of growth has been higher than theirs for almost every day in March.

I think I shared a graph the other day where instead of cases it was cases per 100,000 which looks a bit better as we have a bit of a higher population.

How does our rate of growth compare with their rate of growth as it was 15 days ago?

Sky Blue Pete

Probably the most important figures currently (confirmed cases are pretty useless as we know there are tens of thousands or more carrying it) are available hospital beds and those in intensive care/on ventilators (and therefore available ventilators)
Was thinking the same about numbers in hospital

fernandopartridge

Yeah, confirmed cases though suggests a lot of demand on the health service already given that we're testing people on admission to hospital

djr8369

I'm guessing they won't put money in our hands until we're at the door with pitchforks. Will be QE type stuff as much as possible.

shmmeee

NHS capacity is absolutely the key figure. Will determine both mortality rate and when we are likely to come in/out of lockdown. I assume it’s not published anywhere though?

shmmeee

Lockdown is rumoured to be this weekend

Im guessing we wanted to try asking nicely first and have looked at traffic/footfall data and seen it’s not working if so. No one seems to be taking it seriously.

Might be London only at first. I’ve heard that rumour.

clint van damme

Im guessing we wanted to try asking nicely first and have looked at traffic/footfall data and seen it’s not working if so. No one seems to be taking it seriously.

Might be London only at first. I’ve heard that rumour.

What makes you say no one is taking it seriously?
Roads seem fairly empty? I'm going out for a walk shortly. I'll let you know my observations!

Nick

Administrator
All of them Nick. They wouldn’t have died if they didn’t have coronoavirus. You’ve got a life expectancy as well, doesn’t mean if you get hit by a bus tomorrow you died of natural causes.

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, it is more the way it is put across. "It's not just old people now as he was 45" as the headlines.

He was 45 and he had a fucking awful disease the poor bloke.

shmmeee

What makes you say no one is taking it seriously?
Roads seem fairly empty? I'm going out for a walk shortly. I'll let you know my observations!

Just from conversations yesterday and general traffic and stuff. Though to be fair it’s changing daily.

David O'Day

Been told by a friend who has sources in Government. It could be worse case planning. But I think we are getting close to lock down.
I was told by a friend who has sources at the local unicorn farm.

You may see greater restrictions in London though.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I didn't mean to sound unsympathetic, it is more the way it is put across. "It's not just old people now as he was 45" as the headlines.

He was 45 and he had a fucking awful disease the poor bloke.

Yeah, same with that 21 year old lad in Spain who was immunocompromised.

covmark

Just from conversations yesterday and general traffic and stuff. Though to be fair it’s changing daily.
I was working in Brighton yesterday, roads were noticeably quieter, but not deserted by any means.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I was working in Brighton yesterday, roads were noticeably quieter, but not deserted by any means.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Office car park was about half full yesterday to be fair. Maybe I’m being harsh.

David O'Day

Some people seem to not get what happens during a lock down.

Even in lockdown someone people will be leaving their houses legitimately.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Ok. I know a lot of people who have started working from home and my driving routes, (to work, dropping my son to work), have been very quiet, but that's just my little bubble.

CCFCSteve

NI also closing schools with immediate effect

Think Williamson (can’t stand him) will announce something later. Reckon England will be closing as well

Users who are viewing this thread