Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (39 Viewers)

Ring Of Steel

And the way it's been reported is that Branson is backing Peter Norris' s call for a bail out by lobbying the government.

I can give you other reasons why he's a walk if you want?
Is this the same Peter Norris who oversaw the collapse of Barings?

CCFCSteve

It’s not been for nothing mate. You know that. It’s about more than the grade at the end and 4/5 of your classes will be back next year.

If I were you I’d go full bad supply teacher for the next two days, get the DVDs and games on, then get plastered, don’t even think about marking or planning until Monday morning.

Spot on, they’ve learned and grown throughout the year no doubt.

dancers lance

I always make an effort of having a chat and thanking them in the tills (used to work on the provisions/deli at Asda as a kid) and made a special point of saying it’s really appreciated to the lady serving me yesterday.....as I wedged my 24th pack of bogroll back into the trolley
(Last bits a joke, no shitroll left yesterday !)
Likewise mate, I was brought up to treat the cleaner with the same respect you would afford the C.E.O, and I have brought my kids up the same.

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s not been for nothing mate. You know that. It’s about more than the grade at the end and 4/5 of your classes will be back next year.

If I were you I’d go full bad supply teacher for the next two days, get the DVDs and games on, then get plastered, don’t even think about marking or planning until Monday morning.

Haha the thought has crossed my mind but wouldn't have anything to send to the kids at home. Will do the plastering part though.

shmmeee

Haha the thought has crossed my mind but wouldn't have anything to send to the kids at home. Will do the plastering part though.

On a serious note, have you seen the BBC are planning to put out more educational content aimed at year groups? Hope it can take at least some of the strain. Everyone’s in the same boat and what’s the point of a national curriculum if you can’t have shared resources. Hope everyone in school leadership (and the parents) have sensible expectations here.

Brighton Sky Blue

On a serious note, have you seen the BBC are planning to put out more educational content aimed at year groups? Hope it can take at least some of the strain. Everyone’s in the same boat and what’s the point of a national curriculum if you can’t have shared resources. Hope everyone in school leadership (and the parents) have sensible expectations here.

Bitesize is now considerably better than what it used to be but for practical subjects it can only do so much.

djr8369

Yes! And warehouse workers. The real backbone of this country are a host of hard working people with little workplace protections. I really hope they’re remembered in the aftermath of this.

I'm sure they'll be quickly forgotten about and we'll be hearing how we need to cut work place protections to help businesses get up and running again.

Liquid Gold

I really think that if and when this pandemic is contained, there will be a fundamental rethink about how we organise the economy
Fuck all will happen. We'll be told that there is no money left and any attempt to afford people even a few more right will be denounced as far left while the cabinet's mates continue to stash our accumulated wealth in tax havens.

Sky Blue Pete

Yup-sorry for your daughter there Pete. Boris can't even provide indications of how grades will be awarded and will likely leave it up to Ofqual to make something up
Hey mate she doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Thank you so much for all you do!! The work you’ve done hasn’t been wasted you must know that

dancers lance

Professor of global health at UCL on Sky News saying he thinks there are well over 100,000 cases in London alone!

Brighton Sky Blue

Hey mate she doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Thank you so much for all you do!! The work you’ve done hasn’t been wasted you must know that

It's very hard to convince students of that, I know most of mine will be disillusioned or pissed off. Getting a grade by default is not the same as going the whole hog. Anyway I really have to get working so need to sod off the forum!

Nick

Administrator
Daughter has a work from home timetable, hour in the morning, hour in afternoon and half hour reading is the minimum.

dancers lance

Every resource should be used to continue education in some form, parents who are unable to work could access some learning resources provided by education authorities to assist children at home maybe? lay out work and objectives, etc.

shmmeee

Bitesize is now considerably better than what it used to be but for practical subjects it can only do so much.

Yeah I appreciate that. While I know it’s not much comfort to the person who will still have to get them through exams next year and the years after that, I fully expect there to be very little expectation of high quality work produced before September at the earliest.

shmmeee

Every resource should be used to continue education in some form, parents who are unable to work could access some learning resources provided by education authorities to assist children at home maybe? lay out work and objectives, etc.

Ive already offered in my local FB group to do some free online tutoring where I can. I said in another thread that it’ll be a good paid option for posh parents in need but I hope people step up to offer for free as well (retired teachers stuck in isolation?) to take the load from parents, teachers and ensure kids don’t miss out.

(on a side note, like many other areas (health!!) I suspect were about to find out removing centralised control from education wasn’t the genius idea we thought it was)

dancers lance

I'm sure they'll be quickly forgotten about and we'll be hearing how we need to cut work place protections to help businesses get up and running again.
We are just at the start of this and It looks like the worst is yet to come, those people in jobs who work through it, keeping essential supplies flowing are some of the lowest paid in society. Perhaps, out of this tragedy, it will be shown just how valuable they are, and things will change, it will be up to all of us to make sure this happens.

shmmeee

Shit. I’ve just thought: is the Internet going to cope? Infrastructure is already over subscribed in a lot of places on the assumption everyone won’t be online at once. Are we going to get rationed? Back to dial up :D

Walsgrave

Fuck all will happen. We'll be told that there is no money left and any attempt to afford people even a few more right will be denounced as far left while the cabinet's mates continue to stash our accumulated wealth in tax havens.
I do agree with you but I was referring more to ordinary people. I think (well, we all know) that those with power (or more accurately, money) will do their utmost to protect their cronies but all of us ordinary folk, I think and hope will realise what on earth the monied have sucked us into believing.

Liquid Gold

I do agree with you but I was referring more to ordinary people. I think (well, we all know) that those with power (or more accurately, money) will do their utmost to protect their cronies but all of us ordinary folk, I think and hope will realise what on earth the monied have sucked us into believing.
The same grasping morons that are currently stockpiling will remain the same grasping morons when asked to pay a little more tax to give people a reasonable standard of life.

dancers lance

Ive already offered in my local FB group to do some free online tutoring where I can. I said in another thread that it’ll be a good paid option for posh parents in need but I hope people step up to offer for free as well (retired teachers stuck in isolation?) to take the load from parents, teachers and ensure kids don’t miss out.

(on a side note, like many other areas (health!!) I suspect were about to find out removing centralised control from education wasn’t the genius idea we thought it was)
Great idea Shmeee, I think you will find many retired teachers and many who moved professions will offer help, I have a few friends that are teachers/lecturers and they are educators front and foremost, it was never about the money and i'm sure they will be doing anything they can to help.

David O'Day

The same grasping morons that are currently stockpiling will remain the same grasping morons when asked to pay a little more tax to give people a reasonable standard of life.
On a few months people will go back to.their love island etc and will sneer at the warehouse workers and delivery drivers that fulfill the order of xxl sweatpants from sports direct.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I am pretty furious with having all the work I have put in to my Year 11 and 13 classes basically getting tossed. All of their work too.

I also have no idea how we are going to simultaneously cater for the small number of children coming in and for the vast majority who will be at home. We are getting shat on from a great height.

I agree - it seems even the government now consider schools a glorified childminding service

Users who are viewing this thread