Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (36 Viewers)

Brylowes

Then they should be in the same lunatic asylum as the government, it’s been a total fiasco from the start.
Agreed, I honestly can’t work it out but in the eyes of many ‘whatever they do, they can do no wrong’
Brexit has unleashed a political beast in the form of a new army of working class Torys.

LastGarrison

My Old Man rang me earlier to say he has had the call to go and get his vaccine on Saturday.

He’s 71 so definitely looks like the roll out of the next tiers is in full swing.

Have to say this was great news on two fronts. The first obviously being that he’s getting the vaccine and very soon, which was actually a bigger relief than I expected so clearly I was worrying more than I thought I had been, but secondly it’s showed me that there is a real and clear way out of this thing. Proper light at the end of the tunnel moment.

Today, even after watching that earlier, has been a good day.

LastGarrison

Not to put a downer on anything but the single vaccine strategy being pursued is high stakes

Lockdown necessary for a long time yet
Of course but it does form a line of defence so even if someone gets it after having the first shot then they shouldn’t get it as severe as without one.

They are also still administering the second shots aren’t they? But just delaying them till 12 weeks after the first.

Brighton Sky Blue

Not to put a downer on anything but the single vaccine strategy being pursued is high stakes

Lockdown necessary for a long time yet

We are only in trouble if the booster jab is negated by an extended gap since the prime one. What’s clearer than ever is that we are in a race to get double vaccinations finished

Sick Boy

Of course but it does form a line of defence so even if someone gets it after having the first shot then they shouldn’t get it as severe as without one.

They are also still administering the second shots aren’t they? But just delaying them till 12 weeks after the first.
No other country is giving the 2nd shot 3 months later and tests haven’t been done to show whether it’s effective.

clint van damme

We are only in trouble if the booster jab is negated by an extended gap since the prime one. What’s clearer than ever is that we are in a race to get double vaccinations finished

There's going to be a massive drop off in the rates of first time vaccinations when the second vaccinations are due.
The rate has already starting to drop off in the last few days. Hopefully they can overcome these issues.

Grendel

No other country is giving the 2nd shot 3 months later and tests haven’t been done to show whether it’s effective.

Most other countries have hardly given a first shot yet to many - the biotech supposedly gives 90% on injection 1 doesn’t it?

chiefdave

There's going to be a massive drop off in the rates of first time vaccinations when the second vaccinations are due.
The rate has already starting to drop off in the last few days. Hopefully they can overcome these issues.
Fingers crossed they can bring more vaccination centres online before we get to the second doses.

My doctors are getting through 800 - 900 people a day and are already onto the over 70s group which they're booking in for this Friday and Saturday. No idea what the numbers are for each group but there's another 8 or 9 weeks before they'll need to be doing large numbers of second doses based on the 12 week gap.

Could they maybe get the rest of the first doeses for the top 9 priority groups done in that time or am I being wildly optimistic? Maybe someone actually thought it through and that's why it was changed to 12 weeks.

Brighton Sky Blue

Hopefully we have the improved staffing and infrastructure by that point to be able to absorb both.

Sick Boy

Most other countries have hardly given a first shot yet to many - the biotech supposedly gives 90% on injection 1 doesn’t it?
What’s the percentage of Biotech vaccines being done in the UK?
Just because a lot of other countries haven’t done the first shot is irrelevant - ultimately they’re taking a risk with it.

Brighton Sky Blue

What’s the percentage of Biotech vaccines being done in the UK?
Just because a lot of other countries haven’t done the first shot is irrelevant - ultimately they’re taking a risk with it.

As said before, some protection to more is probably better than higher protection to fewer. Though of course that is just in the short term if more lose their protection a few months later.

clint van damme

Fingers crossed they can bring more vaccination centres online before we get to the second doses.

My doctors are getting through 800 - 900 people a day and are already onto the over 70s group which they're booking in for this Friday and Saturday. No idea what the numbers are for each group but there's another 8 or 9 weeks before they'll need to be doing large numbers of second doses based on the 12 week gap.

Could they maybe get the rest of the first doeses for the top 9 priority groups done in that time or am I being wildly optimistic? Maybe someone actually thought it through and that's why it was changed to 12 weeks.

Hopefully we have the improved staffing and infrastructure by that point to be able to absorb both.

Reading between the lines of Patels interview this morning (Another car crash) supply is the issue

Grendel

I agree, it makes me very nervous. It does actually seem driven by the medical advisors however, so ultimately have to trust them.

There’s a risk to everything - a very small number of people have died taking the biotech vaccine

NorthernWisdom

There’s a risk to everything - a very small number of people have died taking the biotech vaccine
There is of course a risk, and ultimately the point of vaccinations is to damp down the risk of Covid, not to eliminate it. To diverge from the trials is... brave, however.

Ultimately we've no way of seeing if it's the right choice or not until later, but it's taking a risk with a risk.

Sky Blue Pete

Ok but it’s essentially a trial/study on the population. My concern is also the government’s track record on this.
I think that’s fair enough. A lot of this is not political, I know the government will make it political but fundamentally we are good at using science to improve public health in the uk

CCFCSteve

Reading between the lines of Patels interview this morning (Another car crash) supply is the issue

Yeah I thought the same, what doesnt quite stack up is that there was apparently 20m doses in the UK last week. As BSB indicates though, maybe they are having to save back a large proportion of those for second doses (especially for those that have had AZ jab, which from memory has a lower first dose efficacy - I think !)

NorthernWisdom

Yeah I thought the same, what doesnt quite stack up is that there was apparently 20m doses in the UK last week. As BSB indicates though, maybe they are having to save back a large proportion of those for second doses (especially for those that have had AZ jab, which from memory has a lower first dose efficacy - I think !)
Again, tbh I have no real problem if things move (relatively) slowly, as long as they're done right. Would rather no corners cut, tbh so, if supply is the issue, then so be it.

Imagine being the person in 12 weeks who's told they have no second dose for you, after all!

covmark

Ok but it’s essentially a trial/study on the population. My concern is also the government’s track record in general is abysmal.
This isn't Johnson and Hancock just plucking an idea from thin air. Every scientist I've seen talk about this, has said it's the way to go. Like Brighton said, give more people a certain amount of protection, rather than less people more protection.

Father in law had his first jab and has been given a date for his second, around 10 weeks after his first. I presume everyone has been issued a second appointment.
For my wife it has been a massive comfort to know her dad has at least had the first jab and is more protected than before.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Again, tbh I have no real problem if things move (relatively) slowly, as long as they're done right. Would rather no corners cut, tbh so, if supply is the issue, then so be it.

Imagine being the person in 12 weeks who's told they have no second dose for you, after all!

But as is often the way with th is mob why don't they just come out and say that and keep the public in the picture?

Everyone can see the vaccination rates are going down and it's worrying. Explain why, keep the public informed and keep them on board.

Sick Boy

This isn't Johnson and Hancock just plucking an idea from thin air. Every scientist I've seen talk about this, has said it's the way to go. Like Brighton said, give more people a certain amount of protection, rather than less people more protection.

Father in law had his first jab and has been given a date for his second, around 10 weeks after his first. I presume everyone has been issued a second appointment.
For my wife it has been a massive comfort to know her dad has at least had the first jab and is more protected than before.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
If it works out for the best then it’ll be excellent, it’s going to mean extended lockdowns though and the right messaging to ensure that people don’t get the first short and then go and start mixing with others. My concern is the government’s incompetence so far.

Sky Blue Pete

There is of course a risk, and ultimately the point of vaccinations is to damp down the risk of Covid, not to eliminate it. To diverge from the trials is... brave, however.

Ultimately we've no way of seeing if it's the right choice or not until later, but it's taking a risk with a risk.
Might be why we’ve gone for the first one for lots of people if there’s a supply issue

Brighton Sky Blue

If it works out for the best then it’ll be excellent, it’s going to mean extended lockdowns though and the right messaging to ensure that people don’t get the first short and then go and start mixing with others. My concern is the government’s incompetence so far.

Honesty is the best policy with things like this, if things are slowing down just be open about the reasons. It’s a bigger weakness for them to continue pretending it’s all fine if it’s not.

NorthernWisdom

Honesty is the best policy with things like this, if things are slowing down just be open about the reasons. It’s a bigger weakness for them to continue pretending it’s all fine if it’s not.
Most normal people understand delivering a vaccine to the population won't happen quickly, anyway. We can look at the issues they had with the flu vaccine last autumn to see that... and frankly we're doing better with this one, than we did then.

Terry Gibson's perm

We just have to hope people turn up for the second jab and also don’t think they are indestructible after having the first.

SBT

The counter-argument to this is that people can (and should!) be able to change their behaviour once they’ve been vaccinated, and telling them otherwise only discourages them from getting it. These vaccines seem to be effective to an unprecedented degree, so telling people their lives won’t change if they take them is just wasting the amazing opportunity the scientists have given us.

The idea that you can still transmit the virus once vaccinated hasn’t been disproven, but there isn’t a huge amount of evidence that it’s ever been a problem with other major vaccines either. So again - are we looking a gift horse in the mouth by being ultra cautious?

(One word of caution for all of the above - Israel has vaccinated more of its population than anyone. And right now they also have the highest new case rates in the world too. So the science isn’t settled, and clearly the un-vaccinated can’t let their guard down at all)

Users who are viewing this thread