Coronavirus Thread (Off Topic, Politics) (18 Viewers)

Grendel

Grendel

I’m not talking about whether you need to sometimes travel for work, I’m talking about whether you can stay home rather than go in. Is it impossible for you to do that?

yes it’s impossible

NorthernWisdom

Was an interesting way of phrasing it the first time! And presumably it’s impossible to do the job from home?
tbf, there are also some middle ground cases. At Mrs Wisdom's workplace, some have been furloughed. If not and they'd been sent in, however, then management had decided they were going in as well, as how could they ask somebody to do something they weren't prepared to do themselves? Now, technically that would be against the regs but, even disregarding the moral argument (able to be argued either way) in terms of team morale and, more to the point, ensuring as good compliance with regulations as possible, management going in would seem half sensible, and could actually help keep things under control at that workplace, even if technically government were saying one rule for one...

Empathy and understanding all through this is the challenge for us all. Everybody has different views, different stress points etc. Bar the loons, most people are doing their best with a bad lot.

Brighton Sky Blue

tbf, there are also some middle ground cases. At Mrs Wisdom's workplace, some have been furloughed. If not and they'd been sent in, however, then management had decided they were going in as well, as how could they ask somebody to do something they weren't prepared to do themselves? Now, technically that would be against the regs but, even disregarding the moral argument (able to be argued either way) in terms of team morale and, more to the point, ensuring as good compliance with regulations as possible, management going in would seem half sensible, and could actually help keep things under control at that workplace, even if technically government were saying one rule for one...

Empathy and understanding all through this is the challenge for us all. Everybody has different views, different stress points etc. Bar the loons, most people are doing their best with a bad lot.

Pretty much. I haven’t left the house since the start of term except to put the bins out

Grendel

Thank you for your service, then I guess. In fairness, I didn’t know McDonald’s was still even open.

Yes that’s clearly why one week I was in 3 other parts of the country

LastGarrison

For those that have had the jab, or have friends / relatives that have ... do you get any paperwork to say you've had a vaccine? I can imagine a stage where you can travel to other countries, or perhaps across tiers, if you can provide evidence.
It’s all logged on the chip that they put in to you at the same time.

I believed Apple will be releasing their Covid control app shortly.

clint van damme

It’s all logged on the chip that they put in to you at the same time.

I believed Apple will be releasing their Covid control app shortly.

If it means getting back to normal I'm prepared to run the risk of Bill Gates directing me to the Roost when I actually want to go to the old Crown

CCFCSteve

If only we hadn’t had enough of experts

What on earth have pretty much every country in the western world been playing at ?! Seriously though, the comparison with NZ is crazy. Here’s some stats as to why (I’m dull I know but humour me)

NZ population 5m
UK population 67m

Top 10 airports passengers per annum
NZ - around 40m
UK - around 250m

If you add up all the rest the airports gap continues to significant increase. To put into context Bristol would comfortably be NZs second largest airport, Luton, not far off the busiest.

40% of tourist arrivals to NZ are from Australia, who also had low numbers. Ours will come from all over Europe and the world.’, some which would’ve had far higher rates than we/they would’ve known in the early stages.

UK will have far greater numbers of families from a all over Europe (and world) so I’d imagine far greater comings and goings of family members even if you stop tourists. ie if you close borders how do you safely repatriate hundreds of thousands of people from various countries without virus getting back into UK ?!

NZ (and Australia) closed borders on 19 March. If we’d done the same it would’ve been far too late as tens or possibly even hundreds of thousands already had Covid. Sage were also still advising against this, saying little value (see previous attached article)

Should the government have had far better control at borders by now, yes, 100%. Would it make a huge amount of difference when our rates are so high, new strains aside, no. I’d agree though that now there is a real possibility to have far better control of the borders going forward; testing capacity is in place, better (although far from perfect !) tracing and Id imagine significantly less international travel currently so less numbers to trace/ensure isolate. so if/when are numbers drop hopefully we can/should do this a lot better. But comparisons with NZ are pretty irrelevant

ps If we and the rest of the world hadn’t produced vaccines what would NZ have done then ?! Stay closed forever ???!!

Last edited:

tisza

Govt here buying large amounts of the Chinese vaccine (having used Pfizer for themselves). Problem is no-one wants to use the Chinese vaccine.

Brighton Sky Blue

What on earth have pretty much every country in the western world been playing at ?! Seriously though, the comparison with NZ is crazy. Here’s some stats as to why (I’m dull I know but humour me)

NZ population 5m
UK population 67m

Top 10 airports passengers per annum
NZ - around 40m
UK - around 250m

If you add up all the rest the airports gap continues to significant increase. To put into context Bristol would comfortably be NZs second largest airport, Luton, not far off the busiest.

40% of tourist arrivals to NZ are from Australia, who also had low numbers. Ours will come from all over Europe and the world.’, some which would’ve had far higher rates than we/they would’ve known in the early stages.

UK will have far greater numbers of families from a all over Europe (and world) so I’d imagine far greater comings and goings of family members even if you stop tourists. ie if you close borders how do you safely repatriate hundreds of thousands of people from various countries without virus getting back into UK ?!

NZ (and Australia) closed borders on 19 March. If we’d done the same it would’ve been far too late as tens or possibly even hundreds of thousands already had Covid. Sage were also still advising against this, saying little value (see previous attached article)

Should the government have had far better control at borders by now, yes, 100%. Would it make a huge amount of difference when our rates are so high, new strains aside, no. I’d agree though that now there is a real possibility to have far better control of the borders going forward; testing capacity is in place, better (although far from perfect !) tracing and Id imagine significantly less international travel currently so less numbers to trace/ensure isolate. so if/when are numbers drop hopefully we can/should do this a lot better. But comparisons with NZ are pretty irrelevant

ps If we and the rest of the world hadn’t produced vaccines what would NZ have done then ?! Stay closed forever ???!!

Oh boy loads I could say about this

tisza

sure I read recently it was only 50% efficacy from recent studies
we've seen 54%. And apparently much more expensive than Pfizer, Moderna etc
My wife is high-risk so I'll be paying for the whole family to go private as soon as possible - not taking any chances.

CCFCSteve

I will later on!

Be gentle ! The comparison isn’t about doing more regarding control at borders now (of course we should) but back in March/April (little test, tracing infrastructure to deal with repatriation of citizens etc). I attached an article on SAGE advice around time this morning (some of which was subsequently found to be incorrect), it’s a page or two earlier

shmmeee

For those that have had the jab, or have friends / relatives that have ... do you get any paperwork to say you've had a vaccine? I can imagine a stage where you can travel to other countries, or perhaps across tiers, if you can provide evidence.

You definitely get a stick but I doubt it’s accepted at customs.

cowboy1850

Why hasn't the EU approved the Oxford vaccine and why aren't other countries using it? I thought it was better in the sense that it didn't have to be stored at freezing temperatures.

hill83

Why hasn't the EU approved the Oxford vaccine and why aren't other countries using it? I thought it was better in the sense that it didn't have to be stored at freezing temperatures.

The EU opted for a more rigorous licensing procedure in which the companies, rather than taxpayers, accept liability if there are problems than the UK. Extremely short version of why. Plus other bits.

Also other countries are using it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread