Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

Competitions etc, Who's won anything good?

Nick

Administrator
Joined
Feb 25, 2008
Messages
159,400
Reaction score
77,042
Just entered one of those raffles where people raffle a car off rather than sell it. Just a fiver so the same as a pint.

Realised I never win anything, anybody ever won anything decent?
 
Not recently, but I entered a competition on Talksport about 15 years ago and the prize was one of those meet a legend weekends at some hotel/country club.
In the end the event didn’t go ahead, so got given a trip to the Bernabeu to watch Real Madrid vs Valencia with flights and hotels chucked in… which was probably better in the end.
 
Won a Scalextric from the Peugeot garage when I was a kid, a pretty funky Guns N Roses promotional CD from back in the days CWR, or maybe WM, had a rock show, load of sci-fi books from a magazine that did one of those retweet to win things and I've got a signed ball in the loft (I think, it may have gone when I moved) from probably 10 years ago that was a twitter thing as well.

When I lived in London you could 'win' tickets to all sorts of shows but that was just them getting rid of unsold tickets so it didn't look empty.
 
In 2012 I was just out of Uni and with no job. I went on a competition entering spree.

I dread to think how many over 2 months I entered I Won 3 prizes

a Bottle of rum
2 tickets to the Olympic closing ceremony with Hotel and spending money.
A 1 week trip to San Diego. staying in 2 stupidly expensive hotels, flights $500 spending money and tickets to some big named attractions.


Since then I have won f all !
 
I have won....

£1,000

A Fender electric guitar

A satellite dish

A hotel weekend


That's just in the last few days. I can't remember past that. 🤪
 
Never won a thing. Have a friend in the states who obsessively enters things and has won loads.
 
In 2012 I was just out of Uni and with no job. I went on a competition entering spree.

I dread to think how many over 2 months I entered I Won 3 prizes

a Bottle of rum
2 tickets to the Olympic closing ceremony with Hotel and spending money.
A 1 week trip to San Diego. staying in 2 stupidly expensive hotels, flights $500 spending money and tickets to some big named attractions.


Since then I have won f all !

that's a very decent prize that.
 
Never won a thing. Have a friend in the states who obsessively enters things and has won loads.

read a book about it, some people regularly win some really good stuff. Apparently the trick is to concentrate on competitions which aren't just draws but require some modicum of though, which is me snookered.
 
read a book about it, some people regularly win some really good stuff. Apparently the trick is to concentrate on competitions which aren't just draws but require some modicum of though, which is me snookered.

I was put off draws after I had an ex who worked at Cov Tel and used to ring me up if a prize looked good and magically always managed to pull my name from the hat.
 
read a book about it, some people regularly win some really good stuff. Apparently the trick is to concentrate on competitions which aren't just draws but require some modicum of though, which is me snookered.

......."Just text the correct spelling of "thought" to 54321 to win a manfred mann album"
 
I won a Cameroon shirt for the Guardian football email's letter of the week despite not sending them one. Speaks well for the letters they did receive that week
 
Won a 25 pound voucher for Taylors butchers in earsldon from the raffle at the kids school Christmas party
 
We won the school raffle once when I was a kid, which was great for me and my brother as it was a 14” portable colour TV and it ended up in our bedroom. Just remember our mates being jealous as this would have been late 70’s very early 80’s maybe and we literally didn’t know anyone who had 2 TV‘s in the house let alone 1 in their bedroom. Different times.
 
Won a Dominos pizza once. My best mate has just won a Taylormade golf bag and full club set worth £3,500.
 
In the 1970s not long after marvel comic had come out I entered a competition in it and won 3rd prize which was an airfix type kit for a lunar module, Apollo 11 I think .
More important, my name was in Marvel.
40 odd years later I wish I'd kept that particular issue.
 
I won* the competition in Game in town for scoring the most points on ‘Goal’ on the Amiga which put me through to the regional finals in Manchester playing against all of the other finalists across the country.

I got my arse handed to me but as the game was supported by Adidas I got a whole bag of goodies including an Adidas watch, horrid purple Adidas bag, an even worse lime green tank top and a few other bits and bobs as well as mine and my Dad’s train fares up there and back!

*I didn’t actually win as my mate got a higher score than me but for some reason they rang me instead! 🕺
 
Christ, thats not a bad prize.

Who was the legend?
Alan Mullery was one of them - can’t think of the others… think there were about 3 in total.
 
When David Busst ran the JSB holiday football I didn't win anything but broke my ankle. He made me sit behind the goal and my busted ankle got hit a few more times by some wayward shots.

Dude's got a taste for pain
 
Won a City shirt signed by the whole squad...


...the season we got relegated from the Championship.
I have one too, I'm unsure on the season but could work it out from the shirt. Don't think it's a vintage one but not a relegation one at least.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
 
I won a board game from a crossword in the ccfc programme and Dietmar Bruck (I admit I had no idea who he was) delivered it I guess I was about 10
 
I had the scoop 6 up one Saturday on channel4 racing, it was a good amount but missed out on the bonus the week after as the horse I picked in the race lost by a short head for big money.
Not bad for a £2 bet though!!
 
Won £100 on the kick 4 cash against Swansea in 2009. I was the first to do so, everyone else to get that far prior to me gambled for the £1000 and lost.

Spent it on an iPod nano.
 
I also won Castle Greyskull (from He-Man) from a kids TV show when I was 6. It was in the days you had to post an entry on a envelope or post card so they didn’t announce the winners until about 6 weeks later. Didn’t even know I’d won until it turned up at the house.
 
I won a competition on Mercia Sound in the 80’s, the prize was a three day Bobby Charlton Soccer School camp held at Moor Green FC.
 
Won a fiver on the Myton hospice raffle last week. I was wondering whether I'd feel bad banking it as paid via cheque, but I do spend 3 x that a month on the tickets and first win in about 5 years :)
 
10 bottles or Jamesons off a quid raffle is as good as it’s got for me. I drank one at a work party about 5 years ago and started drinking it from a hipflask mid afternoon.
Woke up face down on the kitchen floor with my GF shouting at me at 5am - the other 9 bottles have been in my parents’ garage since then.
 
Last edited:
I phoned up the radio once and won a competition where the answer was something to do with Black Beauty. I can't remember even what the prize was. I was about 9

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
 
I won a competition in the evening telegraph in 1983 about music and had the choice of two LP’s.
The Crossing by Big Country or Fantastic by Wham.
I chose Big country still love that album.
 
Won 2 VIP Tickets to the British GP in 2003 and Met Michael Schumacher. Being 13 at the time that was unreal


Tell you what though that Free Radio cash register competition is definitely a fix. No way can they afford to throw hundreds of grands a week out every week.

Also the 'winners'

'Steve, you've just won 100 thousand pounds!!!'

Steves just like 'oh brilliant thanks thays great news thank you so much thats made my week cheers'

If any normal person won 100k they would be screaming profanities and promising to shag the radio host whilst crying tears of joy
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom