chris Anderson (1 Viewer)

Godiva

And this clarity comes from where exactly?

SW set up a meeting with ACL/Wasps next week. Then announce this to the CT.
Gone the next day.
Replacement drafted in within 24h.

Of course there's a chance SW resigned himself and waited to depart till replacement was found, but it rarely happens that way, and when it does the new and the old CEO attend a mutual press conference shaking hands and smiles to the cameras.

J

Jack Griffin

Is Fisher actually involved in anything these days? He got shunted off to work on his imaginary ground, is that all he's doing. If it is I hope we aren't paying him!

Would not be shocked if he was pushed out soon.

In fact I would be delighted.

chinamans view

You must think waggot, fisher, orange ken, etc. etc. did what they wanted ,without reporting to joy . for the ok. and Mowbray met with joy to get what he wanted first, she gave him the ok first before he would join. This man has been brought in to tighten the purse and cut out any waste, which is what joy wants that's his brief.
Just like yes man Mowbray!!!!!!!!!

Sba180

BTW what the hell is going on with SISU - this last 18 months they seem to be appointing some great people - I am finding it hard to hate them with as much passion as I did. This really goes against the grain!

maybe Joy is now being advised properly, instead of by Fisher, who lets face it, was hellbent on ruining Coventry City

Ian1779

maybe Joy is now being advised properly, instead of by Fisher, who lets face it, was hellbent on ruining Coventry City

He's probably just really shit at his job.... rather than being hellbent on destroying us.

Unless of course he's a Sunderland fan and he's still not over 1977

ajsccfc

You must think waggot, fisher, orange ken, etc. etc. did what they wanted ,without reporting to joy . for the ok. and Mowbray met with joy to get what he wanted first, she gave him the ok first before he would join. This man has been brought in to tighten the purse and cut out any waste, which is what joy wants that's his brief.

So he's not a 'puppit' but an employee then.

Philosorapter

Just had a quick look around. He looks the real deal folks. Definitely a good appointment not just for the club but it may look like SISU may be toying with the idea of investment with this sort of appointment.

oldskyblue58

CCFC Finance Director
Chris Anderson is a pioneer of soccer analytics and a sought-after football industry advisor. A former semi-professional player in his native Germany, Anderson is passionate about using rigorous and appropriate analysis to acquire, manage, and build and sustain clubs in the context of global competition for talent and success.Some of his past projects have involved bespoke football club acquisition due diligence and advice. Others have produced econometric models and algorithms useful for understanding, predicting, and improving team performance and valuing clubs’ player assets. Chris’ work can be used to build more effective teams while maximizing the impact of club expenditures.

Before co-founding Anderson Sally, Chris was a professor at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, a member of the famous Ivy League consortium of universities and one of the world’s leading research institutions, where he taught political economy and political sociology. In addition to his duties with Anderson Sally, Chris is currently a Visiting Fellow at the London School of Economics. Through his academic research, Anderson has developed a global reputation as an expert on the application of multilevel statistical models to explain how economic and political structures shape citizens’ judgments and voting behaviors. This and other work has been recognized by peers, garnering Anderson a variety of scientific awards.

Anderson has held appointments at a number of elite universities, including Oxford University and Stanford’s Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences. He also has taught management strategy at prominent business schools, including Cornell’s Johnson School of Management and Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, and he has extensive management experience in academic settings.

Anderson has been a frequent commentator on the use of analytics in football and Big Data in high performing organizations. He also has been a speaker at a number of industry events, including the prestigious Sports Analytics Conference held annually in Boston by MIT’s Sloan Business School

All sounds very grand and important but what has he been brought in to do exactly?

J

Jack Griffin

All sounds very grand and important but what has he been brought in to do exactly?

Well at least him & his oppo Sally are smart guys, but can't find any ref to concrete results, it is all theoretical.

Sally: “Liverpool have recently appointed Ian Graham as their new Director of Research. He’s a mathematician, the guy who developed the Castrol Index [a player rating system used in World Cup 2010 and other major tournaments, O.D]. A football-stats blogger named Ravi Ramineni started working with the Seattle Sounders last year. By the way, we’re also open for offers from clubs [laughs]“.
http://www.soccerissue.com/2013/08/25/soccerissue-interview-with-david-sally-and-chris-anderson/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2013/03/06/the-ssac-interview-of-chris-anderson-david-sally/

Last edited by a moderator:

wingy

Chris Anderson is a pioneer of soccer analytics and a sought-after football industry advisor. A former semi-professional player in his native Germany, Anderson is passionate about using rigorous and appropriate analysis to acquire, manage, and build and sustain clubs in the context of global competition for talent and success.Some of his past projects have involved bespoke football club acquisition due diligence and advice. Others have produced econometric models and algorithms useful for understanding, predicting, and improving team performance and valuing clubs’ player assets. Chris’ work can be used to build more effective teams while maximizing the impact of club expenditures.

Before co-founding Anderson Sally, Chris was a professor at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York, a member of the famous Ivy League consortium of universities and one of the world’s leading research institutions, where he taught political economy and political sociology. In addition to his duties with Anderson Sally, Chris is currently a Visiting Fellow at the London School of Economics. Through his academic research, Anderson has developed a global reputation as an expert on the application of multilevel statistical models to explain how economic and political structures shape citizens’ judgments and voting behaviors. This and other work has been recognized by peers, garnering Anderson a variety of scientific awards.

Anderson has held appointments at a number of elite universities, including Oxford University and Stanford’s Center for Advanced Studies in the Behavioral Sciences. He also has taught management strategy at prominent business schools, including Cornell’s Johnson School of Management and Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management, and he has extensive management experience in academic settings.

Anderson has been a frequent commentator on the use of analytics in football and Big Data in high performing organizations. He also has been a speaker at a number of industry events, including the prestigious Sports Analytics Conference held annually in Boston by MIT’s Sloan Business School

Does he sound a little from the same school as that Brentford owner/Chairman?

oldfiver

SW set up a meeting with ACL/Wasps next week. Then announce this to the CT.
Gone the next day.
Replacement drafted in within 24h.

Of course there's a chance SW resigned himself and waited to depart till replacement was found, but it rarely happens that way, and when it does the new and the old CEO attend a mutual press conference shaking hands and smiles to the cameras.

The meeting next week is a normal ACL management one. Not a meeting to discuss rent or the lease

CEO's leaving are not always announced on the day it is agreed

Replacement drafted in within 24 hrs of announcement supports the premise the decision was made earlier

"Rarely happens" - means it some times does!

wingy

The meeting next week is a normal ACL management one. Not a meeting to discuss rent or the lease

CEO's leaving are not always announced on the day it is agreed

Replacement drafted in within 24 hrs of announcement supports the premise the decision was made earlier

"Rarely happens" - means it some times does!
Where's Simon
We need to kick his as for misquoting the chap who's gone.

wingy

Is It conceivable this guy's already proffered his expertise earlier on In the season on a consultancy basisand now It's been formalised?

wingy

Certainly appears as if he is from that school of thought, can't say I'm a massive fan of that approach.

Maybe he's bumped into Leonard Body somewhere.
Ooh there's a name almost forgotten, Is he still a share holder?

AFCCOVENTRY

I still don't understand what the role of Mr Anderson is...what's his main priorities and why is there so little on the Waggott departure?

Philosorapter

Its a good question OSB and naturally I don't have an answer. I can only speak from my own experience. We've been using algorithms in chess for decades now. They're commonly known as chess engines and are spatially aware, if not better then most Humans now.

Here is an example of an engine grunting it out.

[video=youtube;tGX6erOSb2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGX6erOSb2U[/video]

To show what the engine is actually grunting out, the best programme I can show you is Thinking Machine 4. A nice little GUI placed on top of an engine to show its thought processes. This toured some exhibitions and art galleries a few years back.

http://www.bewitched.com/chess.html
http://archive.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqM8zmdaU6o

If he has been brought in to apply the same principles to a soccer pitch then I would say this may be a very progressive move for CCFC.

Longford

He's probably just really shit at his job.... rather than being hellbent on destroying us.

Unless of course he's a Sunderland fan and he's still not over 1977

No...he is hellbent on destroying us.....hates Coventry.

thewards5579

"Anderson Sally partners with clients to help them acquire and manage sports properties. We help our partners determine the right valuation for football clubs and club assets. Once acquired, we help our partners manage them by making better decisions, translating those decisions into actions, and delivering the success they desire. We help connect the dots between sport, strategy, and performance. We are passionate about achieving better results for our clients – results that are uniquely tailored, pragmatic, and have lasting impact."

Sounds to me like he's someone with the right attributes to get the club ready to sell.
Tony or could be he has contacts to build a stadium then lease it to us so sisu or otium entertainments continue to bleed us dry

Sent from my Harrier Mini from EE using Tapatalk

Terry Gibson's perm

For me he has two importnant jobs raise the money for the manager and then keep out of his way while he manages the club.

rupert_bear

When interviewed by our media in the coming weeks as managing director he needs to be asked one direct question with a yes or no answer, are we still looking for land to build a new stadium on.

shmmeee

Its a good question OSB and naturally I don't have an answer. I can only speak from my own experience. We've been using algorithms in chess for decades now. They're commonly known as chess engines and are spatially aware, if not better then most Humans now.

Here is an example of an engine grunting it out.

[video=youtube;tGX6erOSb2U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGX6erOSb2U[/video]

To show what the engine is actually grunting out, the best programme I can show you is Thinking Machine 4. A nice little GUI placed on top of an engine to show its thought processes. This toured some exhibitions and art galleries a few years back.

http://www.bewitched.com/chess.html
http://archive.turbulence.org/spotlight/thinking/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqM8zmdaU6o

If he has been brought in to apply the same principles to a soccer pitch then I would say this may be a very progressive move for CCFC.

Chess is a very very different proposition to football. It's a rules based game that can be solved through brute force alone.

The best football simulation we have is probably Football Manager, and that's miles and miles off.

Big data analysis can be useful, but generally only if you already know what you are looking for. It's often not good at separating correlation from causation and the data you feed it has to be relevant. We're making some progress with automated hypotheses, but we're not there yet and an algorithm is only as good as it's maker. I seriously doubt we're going down the recurrent neural net path for deep learning, but again even if we were unsupervised models are nowhere near being able to take on something like football, far too many inputs.

Football is more like economics than chess in that it's very fuzzy. We have literally the best and the brightest working flat out on financial and economic modelling and it's not much better than the weather forecast at the moment.

I'm very wary of making big conclusions based on messy data, classical economics is full of theories that don't match up to reality but make sense mathematically.

As the saying goes: all models are wrong, some models are useful.

To be clear, I wish the guy well and I approve of his methods, but I hope he and others realises their limitations.

(Anyway, came in to say that he's tweeting City fans now, I hope he knows what he's letting himself in for.)

mechaishida

Whatever's afoot at CCFC, this appointment speaks volumes; as some have suggested, Andersen's task could simply be to 'prime' the club for sale. It ties in with SISU/Otium's long-term strategy for the club, but how they could even conceive that the club would garner interested buyers is beyond me - even with Andersen's expertise.

Perhaps this is why Waggot left; he knew what the plan was, and knew he had to vacate hastily because a ruthless, grade A businessman was being lined up for his job.

Whatever's afoot, it doesn't smell positive. Fisher is conducting something quite underhanded methinks. For a change.

SlowerThanPlatt

This guy has a top reputation. All the big UK journalists are tweeting him and saying its a 'magnificent appointment' for the club

SlowerThanPlatt

@soccerquant: Look fwd to talking about priorities over the coming weeks & months. Meantime, I can think of only one key priority today! #PUSB

skybluetony176

There's a video of him on youtube being interviewed prior to the world cup (sorry on my phone so can't do a link) and he comes across very well.

I suspect that I'm like most CCFC fans in that it's going to take more than a good communication skills (although he's ahead of Fisher already), some good statistical knowledge (he's just lapped Fisher) and a smile and a handshake before I start cooing over him as some sort of a saviour.

He can certainly talk the talk but I'm yet to find anything on him that proves that he has the real-time experience to do walk the walk.

I welcome his appointment and naturally wish him the best but lets see what happens next.

Users who are viewing this thread