Charlie Wakefield (1 Viewer)

Otis

Low confidence or a desperation to score means you snatch at chances. You can't snatch at a free kick as it's controlled by the referee. It isn't difficult.
Ditto. Just what I was trying to post.

Brighton Sky Blue

Doesn't that show that he has some technical ability about him and as it's a dead ball there isn't the immediate, instant pressure of a snap chance in the area.

Free-kick = time to think and get your balance and stance right and to assess where you are going to put it.

Never remember you being so cynical before, Brighton.

I wouldn't be stepping up and having a go from that distance if my confidence was shot. It's not the impression you get from him off the field either. It is clearly more a case of poor composure, technique or both.

These are well paid professionals Otis, if anything I'm surprised at how forgiving some of us are on the same players costing us points every week because they can't do the fundamentals. It's frustrating, but what's more frustrating is that he keeps getting picked week in week out and the same things keep happening. If his confidence is genuinely low how is this going to help? He isn't the only one, Hiwulla's against AFC took the biscuit and JCH missed hatfuls of glorious chances too.

They all get criticism from me but because Robins insists on putting Chaplin there every week it's him in the spotlight right now. Nothing personal.

Brighton Sky Blue

Low confidence or a desperation to score means you snatch at chances. You can't snatch at a free kick as it's controlled by the referee. It isn't difficult.

Yet you also risk looking like a tool when the kick goes miles over the bar as it often does for players at this level.

Otis

I wouldn't be stepping up and having a go from that distance if my confidence was shot. It's not the impression you get from him off the field either. It is clearly more a case of poor composure, technique or both.

These are well paid professionals Otis, if anything I'm surprised at how forgiving some of us are on the same players costing us points every week because they can't do the fundamentals. It's frustrating, but what's more frustrating is that he keeps getting picked week in week out and the same things keep happening. If his confidence is genuinely low how is this going to help? He isn't the only one, Hiwulla's against AFC took the biscuit and JCH missed hatfuls of glorious chances too.

They all get criticism from me but because Robins insists on putting Chaplin there every week it's him in the spotlight right now. Nothing personal.
He scored 3 in 4 though, so it is quite obvious why Robins kept him in isn't it?

He is still only 21. Crazy to write him off just yet.

Otis

Yet you also risk looking like a tool when the kick goes miles over the bar as it often does for players at this level.
But surely he so wants to prove himself and taking the free kick is surely the best way to do that isn't it?

His teammates must see him do that in training and be happy for him to take the kick.

Grendel

We're both being sarcastic yet just 1 of us has a point

WATCH: Conor Chaplin's dreadful miss for Coventry

Coventry's Conor Chaplin squandered a superb chance as he headed wide from six yards in their defeat to Blackpool.

Chaplin seemingly could not miss after the ball was put on a plate for him in the box, but somehow he managed to waste the opportunity at the Ricoh Arena.

One a week from the golden boy

He works his socks off

capel & collindridge

Good players often miss a hatful of chances, but score a few too. Top players miss a fair number of chances, but bury one or two every other couple of games. Poor players miss fewer chances, because they don't get into good positions on the pitch at the right time. Chaplin could still prove himself a top striker before the season is out. Particularly, if our fans get right behind him.

As for Charlie Wakefield, the omens are not good. He's even gone missing in this thread. What a waste of space!

Magwitch

Chaplin is there to miss chances, for me that’s a positive, yes he should have more goals in his locker but he has three in the last four so he’s going the right way. There are players being bought for millions nowadays with not much more than the eight Chaplin has to his credit. Apologise to Charlie Wakefield by the way for nicking his thread.

Sky Blue Pete

Charlie Chaplin is a good player looking forward to the two of them working together.

My issue with Chaplin is his lack of pace and intuition. He seems to think slowly. I’m with Otis though time will tell

Otis

Charlie Chaplin is a good player looking forward to the two of them working together.

My issue with Chaplin is his lack of pace and intuition. He seems to think slowly. I’m with Otis though time will tell
I don't think he does think slowly, Pete, to be honest. I just think he is unsure at times of which option he should take.

That comes naturally to a striker when they are bang on form.

Nick

Administrator
He is pretty slow to react to things. There was one where somebody played a ball through for him to tap in and it took him a couple of seconds to react to it

letsallsingtogether

He is pretty slow to react to things. There was one where somebody played a ball through for him to tap in and it took him a couple of seconds to react to it
Problem is the players he is playing with are the same as him they don't know what the next move is so every ball seems a surprise.
To him to me to you to him to me shit where you gone, and that's just from a throw in in our own half.

smileycov

Facebook User
it is because no guarantees a goalscorer hits ground running, also they cost money and we have a budget and like i said if one of our current strikers hit form then new striker not needed anyway

a new signing would mean less gametime for current strikers
Still confident in our current strikers, still think people are naive in wanting a goal scorer brought in? Another game thrown away because we can not finish the simplest of chances. My opinion when Doyle ogogo and jch were being released bunch the wages together and pay sparky what ever he wanted and get him in. I’m convinced he would have come. Again we should have been easily 2/3 goals up before Willis shocker

covcity4life

Still confident in our current strikers, still think people are naive in wanting a goal scorer brought in? Another game thrown away because we can not finish the simplest of chances. My opinion when Doyle ogogo and jch were being released bunch the wages together and pay sparky what ever he wanted and get him in. I’m convinced he would have come. Again we should have been easily 2/3 goals up before Willis shocker
Thrown away becausw of defence. We havnt lost a game since window closed

Unbeaten

Sky Blue Harry H

Why anyone would be convinced Sparky would come back here rather than head to Hibs I'm unclear on. Yes he loved it here, but it would have been an admission of failure. More chance of a Scotland call up now too. I love CCFC above all,but don't see why he would have chosen us over them.

Nick

Administrator
Why anyone would be convinced Sparky would come back here rather than head to Hibs I'm unclear on. Yes he loved it here, but it would have been an admission of failure. More chance of a Scotland call up now too. I love CCFC above all,but don't see why he would have chosen us over them.

The same as people obsessed about McSheffrey last time.

smileycov

Facebook User
Would have been nice to frigging try at least though

smileycov

Facebook User
Thrown away becausw of defence. We havnt lost a game since window closed

Unbeaten
So not the fact we held on to a 1 goal lead which ultimately cost us in yet another game where we should have been 2-3 up? You really are special

cc84cov

We’re into feb I admire your optimism mate I think their dead wood

smileycov

Facebook User
We’re into feb I admire your optimism mate I think their dead wood
It was a question to cc4life not a statement. He thinks people were naive to want a goalscorer brought in!! I didn’t, as proved again yesterday

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread