Championship 21/22 (3 Viewers)

Evo1883

Perfect sense. Thanks.

giphy.gif

Terry_dactyl

I was invited to go and watch Cardiff v West Brom tonight. I turned it down on the basis that Cardiff are really dull to watch. Glad I did as I’d be sat next to a moaning, shouting father in law…in the rain.

hill83

No, for exactly the reason you suspect, as the second & third shots come about as an outcome of the first.

In this scenario you instead calculate the chance that a goal wouldn't be scored.

Let's say as an example (I'm making these xG numbers up) the first shot (Ikpeazu?) has an xG of 0.15 then the first rebound is a really tight angle so let's say 0.10 then the 3rd is a really good look at goal (although Moore is positioned well) say 0.50.
Then we'd multiply the chance of each i.e. (1.0 - 0.15) x (1.0 - 0.10) x (1.0 - 0.50)
0.85 x 0.90 x 0.50 = 0.3825 i.e. only a 38% chance that 'Boro don't score from that sequence.

Middlesbrough's xG would then be 0.6175 or, in layman's terms, we'd expect a goal to be scored from that scenario approx 62% of the time.

Make sense?

04c.gif

Sky Blue Harry H

PNE equalise v Stoke. M'Boro 2-0 up v Sheff Utd (happy with that). Blackburn losing. Results going ok so far this evening. Not fussed about WBA, as they are likely to win a lot, and I don't mind them taking points off other mid-table teams.

Hull 1-0 down at home to Blackpool. Reckon McCann will be gone if they lose this?

Happy_Martian

Have left my Sky screen on the 6 matches in play so I can watch the action on all 6 and just hear one commentary. Bluntly, apart from QPR, I can't see one team tonight that has anything compared to our buzz and energy. Most of the 12 sides playing are the stereotypical blood and thunder teams with little to no idea how to string 3 passes together. Boredom is starting to set in watching these games.

Tried the Luton forum earlier and after my migraine receded (I left that style of post threading when Usenet stopped being popular), they definitely think they're going to win at a canter. Can't wait for 24 hrs time.

Sky Blue Pete

PNE equalise v Stoke. M'Boro 2-0 up v Sheff Utd (happy with that). Blackburn losing. Results going ok so far this evening. Not fussed about WBA, as they are likely to win a lot, and I don't mind them taking points off other mid-table teams.

Hull 1-0 down at home to Blackpool. Reckon McCann will be gone if they lose this?
Blackpool flying

Happy_Martian

Cracking own goal just scored by Cardiff. Couldn't have been 2 yards out and looks like he smashed the ball into the goal :) 0-2 WBA leading

Sky Blue Harry H

Brereton-Diaz again! Glad he'll be missing for the game against us!

then Blackburn concede, and Brereton gets a second for 2-2

Where was this player last season. 9 goals in 10 games?!? They'll sell him for as much as Armstrong at this rate !!

Last edited:

Happy_Martian

Brereton-Diaz again! Glad he'll be missing for the game against us!

His transformation since he found he had Chilean blood (and added -Diaz) to his name has been remarkable. Good last season alongside Armstrong but this season, he's scoring for fun.

Happy_Martian

And he does it again. Huddersfield 2-2 Blackburn, Brereton-Diaz from the penalty spot.

TomRad85

I can’t really get excited at other results are yet as I haven’t got a clue who our rivals for positions are.
Only Stoke or Blackburn could take us tonight I think, so would be good if they didn't and we went into the next game still 3rd.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Hull are doomed is one fairly confident prediction, as will Derby be if they are hit with a second points penalty (and maybe even without) That leaves one place which I think will be Peterborough (although I'd prefer another bigger club to fall.

no_loyalty

Looks like Mick McCarthy is under pressure, Cardiff now 3-0 down at home to West Brom.

Happy_Martian

WBA now 4-0 up. McCarthy will not be happy. Cardiff haven't really challenged Albion at all.

Happy_Martian

I can’t really get excited at other results are yet as I haven’t got a clue who our rivals for positions are.

Fair comment. I said before the season started that I'd be happy with a mid table finish, an improvement on last season. Our start is exceptional this year so it's interesting to see who is beating who and where we can pick up points. I have no doubts that we won't be challenging for the auto spots and we'd have to be lucky to pick up a playoff place. But the season is long and we're only just a quarter through. Anything can happen....

Happy_Martian

Huddersfield 3-2 Blackburn.

mark82

Fair comment. I said before the season started that I'd be happy with a mid table finish, an improvement on last season. Our start is exceptional this year so it's interesting to see who is beating who and where we can pick up points. I have no doubts that we won't be challenging for the auto spots and we'd have to be lucky to pick up a playoff place. But the season is long and we're only just a quarter through. Anything can happen....

Fifth of the way through. Not a quarter for a couple of games yet.

Users who are viewing this thread