Championship 21/22 (1 Viewer)

covcity4life

Cov and Mowbrary double promotion still on
giphy.gif

SkyblueTexan

Love the article and I've seen many like this over the last few weeks. Hard to stay under the radar for much longer. Hope the team stays humble, hungry and most importantly, together.

Bugsy

Love the article and I've seen many like this over the last few weeks. Hard to stay under the radar for much longer. Hope the team stays humble, hungry and most importantly, together.

That's one of the best write-ups I've read so far and for me the comment below makes me so proud to be a Coventry city supporter.......PUSB

"Coventry City have so many things that football clubs crave and money can’t buy, and it’s making for truly unbelievable viewing".

procdoc

My favourite part:

The modern rebirth of Coventry City is a long and arduous story yet it spans only as long as Robins’ four-and-a-half year tenure at the club. What he’s achieved in such a short space of time and against such highly-stacked odds is without doubt a folklore tale of English football and the main character in it is rightfully gaining more and more plaudits by the day. Robins is a messiah among the people of Coventry not only for what he’s done for the football club itself, but for what the team’s success has done for the city too and what’s more is that he’s being hailed among some of the best tactical managers in the entire country.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

As someone who’s faith waned in Robins last season, it is truly remarkable what he’s doing. It’s nice to see that the football world is now taking notice of us. Although thinking about it…maybe not that great… Robins is ours

Bugsy

Screenshot_20210928-130500.jpg

....PUSB

Happy_Martian

A short thread for amusement

Didn't some jokers on here do this to the Cov squad a couple of years ago ? IIRC Ms. Godden and Ms. Shipperz would have scored with some of this forums members (??!! ;) ) But Mdm. Adi Viveash didn't come out of the experiment strongly :D

<<edit>> Found the thread....

Last edited:

Frostie

Whilst it's pleasing to see Moore saving plenty it's just about the most pointless stat there is, takes no consideration of the amount of shots or their difficulty.

For example, to achieve 81.5% he could have just saved 5 out of 6 shots that trickled at 2mph from 30 yards out.
(He's actually saved 21 out of 27 shots on target but you get my point)

Much better is this (which he's also doing brilliantly at):

Last edited:

Sick Boy

Didn't some jokers on here do this to the Cov squad a couple of years ago ? IIRC Ms. Godden and Ms. Shipperz would have scored with some of this forums members (??!! ;) ) But Mdm. Adi Viveash didn't come out of the experiment strongly :D

<<edit>> Found the thread....

That was one of the surrealist threads on here ever and that’s saying something.

shmmeee

Whilst it's pleasing to see Moore saving plenty it's just about the most pointless stat there is, takes no consideration of the amount of shots or their difficulty.

For example, to achieve 81.5% he could have just saved 5 out of 6 shots that trickled at 2mph from 30 yards out.

What you actually want is this (which he's also doing brilliantly at):

AB95EEAE-4D0B-4DB0-B1FE-56F140E73D13.jpeg
4873C959-B356-4742-B71E-345CE23A62C1.jpeg
ECC54D95-F1F8-4A7B-9A25-9ED61FE35013.jpeg

Told you he was crap!!

(jokes)

Happy_Martian

What you actually want is this (which he's also doing brilliantly at):

Some of those stats seem contradictory. Moore is placed highly in the Goals Prevented stat, together with Blackburn and 'Uddersfields keepers. All teams in the top 8. But in the same analysis, you have the Hull, Derby and Barnsley keepers who's teams are all in the bottom 6.

Frostie

Some of those stats seem contradictory. Moore is placed highly in the Goals Prevented stat, together with Blackburn and 'Uddersfields keepers. All teams in the top 8. But in the same analysis, you have the Hull, Derby and Barnsley keepers who's teams are all in the bottom 6.

That's right, but why's that contradictory?
If you look at the Expected Goals Against (xGA), Derby & Barnsley would have been expected to concede more than they actually have (less so Hull now, that's swung a little since the data was gathered for this).

It is a little crude & there are better methods (Post Shot xG or PSxG) but it is a decent enough barometer over an extended period of time & a far better indicator than simply Clean Sheets or Save %.

Liquid Gold

I don't like that FiveThirtyEight one, it just feels wildly inaccurate as it changes drastically every week.

Last season it had us likely to go down then likely to stay up week to week. As a long range forecast the figures shouldn't change too much week on week.

shmmeee

That's right, but why's that contradictory?
If you look at the Expected Goals Against (xGA), Derby & Barnsley would have been expected to concede more than they actually have (less so Hull now, that's swung a little since the data was gathered for this).

It is a little crude & there are better methods (Post Shot xG or PSxG) but it is a decent enough barometer over an extended period of time & a far better indicator than simply Clean Sheets or Save %.

Serious question. Moore’s triple save, would that have got triple xGA/whatever or would the fact it happened in quick succession have modified the stat at all? Obviously he could only have conceded one of the three shots.

Frostie

Serious question. Moore’s triple save, would that have got triple xGA/whatever or would the fact it happened in quick succession have modified the stat at all? Obviously he could only have conceded one of the three shots.

No, for exactly the reason you suspect, as the second & third shots come about as an outcome of the first.

In this scenario you instead calculate the chance that a goal wouldn't be scored.

Let's say as an example (I'm making these xG numbers up) the first shot (Ikpeazu?) has an xG of 0.15 then the first rebound is a really tight angle so let's say 0.10 then the 3rd is a really good look at goal (although Moore is positioned well) say 0.50.
Then we'd multiply the chance of each i.e. (1.0 - 0.15) x (1.0 - 0.10) x (1.0 - 0.50)
0.85 x 0.90 x 0.50 = 0.3825 i.e. only a 38% chance that 'Boro don't score from that sequence.

Middlesbrough's xG would then be 0.6175 or, in layman's terms, we'd expect a goal to be scored from that scenario approx 62% of the time.

Make sense?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

No, for exactly the reason you suspect, as the second & third shots come about as an outcome of the first.

In this scenario you instead calculate the chance that a goal wouldn't be scored.

Let's say as an example (I'm making these xG numbers up) the first shot (Ikpeazu?) has an xG of 0.15 then the first rebound is a really tight angle so let's say 0.10 then the 3rd is a really good look at goal (although Moore is positioned well) say 0.50.
Then we'd multiply the chance of each i.e. (1.0 - 0.15) x (1.0 - 0.10) x (1.0 - 0.50)
0.85 x 0.90 x 0.50 = 0.3825 i.e. only a 38% chance that 'Boro don't score from that sequence.

Middlesbrough's xG would then be 0.6175 or, in layman's terms, we'd expect a goal to be scored from that scenario approx 62% of the time.

Make sense?
Wow

Evo1883

Make sense?

giphy.gif

shmmeee

Make sense?

Perfect sense. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread