Burton Albion (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

Only 2 wins in 9 now I think. Need to put 2 or 3 wins together in the next 5 or we'll be clinging onto a play off spot by a point or 2

sw88

Chief Commentator!
MOTM for me was Vincelot.

Murphy poor, Lameiras poor, dreadful mistake by Phillips when we were very much in the ascendancy and once that goal went in we were always going to struggle.

Walsall a better team for me than Burton, but seemingly Burton keep finding a way to win.

Have thought our defence has needed sorting out for some time. Phillips and Haynes for me are not good enough for what we need, with Phillips especially being responsible for a number of goals this season alone.

Really cross my fingers that Lorentzson is fit very soon.

Agree with all of that! Even when Vincelot went into defence he was giving it his all, although his lack of pace did show in that position

SkyBlue_Bear83

That was September. We are now in the business end of the season where automatic promotion starts to be defined.
Its January, not the business end yet. Turning over a 4 point deficit with 19 games left to play is easily doable, if we're 9 points off with say 6 or 7 games left then maybe I would say its time to settle for the play offs but automatics is still very much on the table at this point in time.

SkyBlue_Bear83

We kept passing the ball out left to Stokes and then just left him there with ball and every time he therefore just had to keep passing the ball backwards.

As you say, zero support.
Not sure if we purposely changed the shape to have no one on the left flank, or whether people were just out of position. Stokes had bags of space every time but we know Stokes is not going to isolate the opposition full back and dribble past him 1 v 1 as he doesn't have the pace or skill to do so.

Otis

Not sure if we purposely changed the shape to have no one on the left flank, or whether people were just out of position. Stokes had bags of space every time but we know Stokes is not going to isolate the opposition full back and dribble past him 1 v 1 as he doesn't have the pace or skill to do so.
Nope. And the more and more I see him, the more I view him as a centre back in the future rather than a fullback.

He's not the quickest and crossing isn't his strong point, but at centre back he is steady and commanding and calm too.

If we're not looking now, I would be looking in the summer for a left back with a view to Stokes in the centre.

covcity4life

Stokes is great at cb usually. Today he wasn't running to by line and whole team so reluctant to cross. All want to pass backwards. Same with corners

Hobo

Stokes is great at cb usually. Today he wasn't running to by line and whole team so reluctant to cross. All want to pass backwards. Same with corners

We were forced to pass backwards due to Burton's good shape behind the ball, plus Armstrong is the only one offering movement ahead of the ball. Corners to Burton is bread and butter they completely had the measure of us in that department. That is why we were trying to play it short and shift it.

covcity4life

Bigi came in and played fwd passes and we looked better for it

But once again I stress Phillips idiotic mistake meant we couldn't keep up patient approach

At half time it was nil nil and we better team. We may have got break through if we could remain patient around box

W

westcountry_skyblue

Very impressed by their keeper today,Great saves and caught everything and commands his area,I'd sign him tomorrow !!!

Hobo

Agree thought Bigi passed it well when he came on and helped beat some good moves.

Hobo

Westcountry agree their keepers was solid.

Grendel

kdrinkell

Big getting match fit is a good sign,the fck ups for the goals need to be forgotten and we need to stand together and support our team
pusb

stupot07

I thought Bigi was pretty average when he came on, not sure why everyone is "Bigi-ing" him up. He was 5 at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Nick

Administrator
Yeah he was offside when the ball was played. Don't know how it works after Phillips touched it, but surely should be off from the first as he went for the ball?

Grendel

Big getting match fit is a good sign,the fck ups for the goals need to be forgotten and we need to stand together and support our team
pusb

He's rubbish.

stupot07

Poor keeping by RCC at hit near post as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

stupot07

Yeah he was offside when the ball was played. Don't know how it works after Phillips touched it, but surely should be off from the first as he went for the ball?

Yeah should have been offside.

Grendel

Yeah should have been offside.

And they had a blatant penalty in the first few minutes.

Hobo

He's rubbish.

Bigi with his pass and move actually started to bring Murphy into the game 2nd half which was actually some achievement because Murphy had looked determined to stay out of it.

But we all know certain players are dead in the water before they kicks ball with you.

covcity4life

I thought Bigi was pretty average when he came on, not sure why everyone is "Bigi-ing" him up. He was 5 at best.

If Bigi was a 5 Fleck was a 4. Either way he improved the midfield from what it was.

Grendel

Bigi with his pass and move actually started to bring Murphy into the game 2nd half which was actually some achievement because Murphy had looked determined to stay out of it.

But we all know certain players are dead in the water before they kicks ball with you.

He has no movement and if his passing range extends to one foot in front of him.

If his name was Connor Thomas he'd be slaughtered.

He's not the answer and he never will be. As stated his only possible use is if the team is winning and under pressure - then his trundle around the middle may be ok.

I actually thought he may have come on just to play right back. I would guess he'd be ok there as well.

However, to suggest when losing a game he's a player you'd bring in ahead of say JOB us frankly dilusional.

covcity4life

Don't think you went game today g

Bigi tried a few long balls soon as he came on. And most reached their destination too

Londonccfcfan

Why does every keeper in this league seem so much better and assured than ours??

Said it many times before RCC is always on his heels, never on his toes.
Which I thought is a pre requisite for any keeper. His weight always seems to be going back.

Stand up tall for both Burtons goals and they don't go in.

His anticipation is non existant, he's so hesitant, his first option is always back track(on his heels). He's a very poor judge of anything his defence are attempting. Now I'm not saying he should have anticipated that chest back. But at least be on his toes....look carefully he's always on his heels!

It was Calamity Phillips howler. But still, their striker shot straight at RCC, RCC should have done so much better, leaning back like he's about to do the limbo!

awful finish imo when he could have put it cleanly in anywhere.

We cannot and will not get automatic promotion whilst we have Calamity keeper and Right back. Cost us at least 10-12 points combined.

Burton have shown, you don't need to be flash , you don't need to be cute or clever(Pathetic how we put our defence and keeper under pressure when the ball should be just cleared to row z or cleared up field).

they have shown, the team that makes the least errors wins. And we since Gilingham win. Doncaster, Oldham, Sheffield United, and now Burton. Make too many costly errors.

These two have cost us enough. Can't afford anymore mistakes. A point today would not have been disasterous but a defeat does seem like 6 points lost.

RCC out! And Phillips out! They are shocking.

Londonccfcfan

Disagree with you completely. Bigi was easily the best of the subs. And Imo played the sweeper role very well and In fact was everywhere, slotting in wherever needed.

Yes he he played simple balls. Please don't compare him Conar Thomas.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Feel thats a very harsh attack on Cook, couldn't fault him for the first goal he nearly pulled off a fantastic save. Second goal he could have done better with but nonetheless a decent finish by the Burton striker. Pulled off a fine save first half as well.

After a wobble in December I think he's doing ok again, would prefer an experienced keeper if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread