Bin Strikes (2 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Tbf i dont think the people of Coventry give a fuck anymore.

We're getting the bins collected. How it happens i dont think many give a toss, long as they are as we pay for it through CT.

Feel the goodwill period has gone
Exactly.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Because temps are on temp contracts, they don't get the big pension, the holiday pay etc so they tend to get paid a little bit more. It suits some people to do that.

Going on about working conditions, Evo has literally said he didn't want to get a better paid job because his conditions are that good. Just wanted more money.
That's my point. Same jobs, two different sets of conditions/pay so there ends up being an argument about that rather than the bigger picture of "why don't we just all get the same pay and conditions if we do the same job?"

Saddlebrains

I don't think anyone in Cov cares anymore.

Tom white are doing it, bins are collected if anything more regularly and on time than before.

Feel the striking workers have fucked it a bit

Evo1883

I don't know the reasons why, but I do find it... odd that Conservative councils are reaching deals, while a Labour council uses a 'private' contractor to try and break a strike.

Of course those deals will mean somebody else will lose funding as a result, so maybe they'll be on strike next. At some point, it could be any of us...

It's the use of a private contractor that's delaying the inevitable , and why coventry is different .. like I said on another thread ... hot fuzz mate

Saddlebrains

He's entitled to his opinion .. be a right laugh on here when we get a conclusion 🤐😉

Its not a personal dig which i think Evo knows, its more of a generalisation

Like if you were to ask the people of Coventry, A, did you know they're still on strike, and

B, do you care now you're bins are being collected and there's no longer shit all over the city

You're probably going to get a no to both questions arent you?

Trying to be a realist here, fair play for still going for what you believe in 👌

Brighton Sky Blue

Couldn't actually give a fuck tbh, everyone's bins being collected so fuck them, carry on and lose your jobs lads, you made your point but 6 months is taking the piss

Like if you were to ask the people of Coventry, A, did you know they're still on strike, and

B, do you care now you're bins are being collected and there's no longer shit all over the city

Trying to be a realist here, fair play for still going for what you believe in 👌

Hmmm yes not insulting at all

Evo1883

Obviously coventry being the only council that owns a third party waste company helps people like you get your bins emptied.. it's still Extra tax payers money being used , and we still have our jobs protected .. so eventually it's not rocket science to work out where this ends .

When you say fuck them , it's quite a generalisation .. and no jobs are being lost

Philosorapter

It would be nice to know the amount CCC has paid to Tom White Skip Hire for the current contract to empty Coventry bins.

Understand the mobile street cleaners are also on strike. Wonder who they have in to do that?

Wish you all the best, Evo. The City needs a change of Labour councillors desperately.

NorthernWisdom

The thing that ired me most was seeing on various Rugby facebook pages people moaning about the strike, how they paid their council tax (clearly not enough), but were more than happy to then pay some random £15 per hour to dispose of their rubbish instead!

Evo1883

You'd have to imagine there's an awful lot of agency staff to be laid off once this concludes .. I'm sure the residents of coventry care massively about them and their futures too

rob9872

Get that Labour Council out, vote Tory :)

We COULD use that extra saved on private bin collections to fund the NHS. I'll get it painted on a bus 👍💙

shmmeee

Get that Labour Council out, vote Tory :)

We COULD use that extra saved on private bin collections to fund the NHS. I'll get it painted on a bus 👍💙

Bins are amazing in my Tory council, roads however are a fucking disgrace.

Evo1883

Bins are amazing in my Tory council, roads however are a fucking disgrace.

Tory councils have been giving the pay rises without too many issues tbh .. it's coventry that's proving to be the big problem , they are the odd one out

fernandopartridge

I think the issue generally comes down to the fact that most Labour councils are urban unitary councils that have a greater range of services to provide and usually more acute social problems to deal with and the demand on services they bring.
The bins in my semi rural Labour-controlled district authority are always emptied and street cleaning carried out but I think it's because of the smaller range of services to manage.

Monty

Surely the longer the strike goes on the more time it takes to put the drivers back in the position financially they would of been in if they havent gone on strike in the first place

Users who are viewing this thread