Bin Strikes (4 Viewers)

Grendel

It’s arrogance he thinks he’s right but can’t be arsed to convince anyone why

the people of Coventry vote labour councils and leaders in. Labour coinfin leaders in Coventry (I’ve had the misfortune to meet 3) are generally stupid people. They are not fit to run a chip shop but the public get what they deserve

Philosorapter

Coventry bin strikes will run into the summer after huge vote for action
  • Tuesday 15 March 2022

A catalogue of failures” and rank incompetence” on the part of Coventry council means the long-running Coventry bin strike will continue into the summer after HGV drivers voted for further industrial action by a huge margin.

94% of the HGV drivers who took part in the ballot voted to renew the mandate for industrial action. All out strike action will recommence on Monday 28 March. The strikes will run through the spring, including during the local elections in May, when 18 of Coventry’s councillors will be elected.

Unite has accused the Labour leader of the council George Duggins, and the other councillors of squandering millions and refusing to attend a single meeting with Unite. The dispute has already cost Coventry council £2.9 million, with costs rising daily, when it would cost just £300,000 to resolve the dispute.

Last week, the council took the outrageous decision to escalate the dispute with Unite by taking the unprecedented step of suspending the union’s shop steward on bogus charges in the middle of the dispute. Peter Randle now faces dismissal but Unite has accused the council of victimisation and has pledged its unwavering support for its shop steward, who has already faced abuse and victimisation during the dispute which has not been addressed by Council managers.

In yet another blunder, councillors are refusing to attend any meetings, discussions or negotiations, failing to take responsibility for their actions and leaving everything to unelected officials.

The strikes began early this year and the 70 HGV drivers have been on all out strike since 31 January in the dispute over low pay. The workers’ basic rate of pay begins at just £22,183 per annum, which is far below what workers receive in the private sector and well below pay rates of neighbouring councils.

Unite general secretary Sharon Graham said: “Rank incompetence and a catalogue of failures by Coventry council mean this strike will continue into the summer.

“The dispute could have been easily settled with capable council leaders. Instead, George Duggins and the other councillors have scandalously squandered millions and refused to attend a single meeting with Unite.

“The council have inflamed the situation by suspending our shop steward on bogus grounds and they turned the opportunity we had to settle the dispute at Acas into a farce."

Unite national lead officer Onay Kasab said: “George Duggins and his councillors have failed the people of Coventry and they have failed the workers. It is time for the council to address the underpayment of the drivers. They need to stop this grotesque waste of money in the middle of a cost of living crisis. It’s time to enter into negotiations to end this dispute.”
ENDS

Notes to editors:

For more information please contact Ciaran Naidoo on 07768 931 315

Email: [email protected]

Philosorapter

Coventry bin strikes: Union suspends 11 Labour councillors

A union has suspended a number of Labour councillors from membership amid a bitter pay dispute involving refuse drivers.
Unite said it was investigating the conduct of 11 Coventry councillors who it accused of "colluding with strike breaking."
About 70 bin lorry drivers have been staging an all-out strike in the city since 31 January over pay.
The ruling Labour group has been approached for a comment.

The union's general secretary, Sharon Graham, made the announcement at a rally in the city on Saturday.
She said the local group would also not be getting any money from the union for the upcoming local elections in May.
Ms Graham told the rally: "I speak directly to you, Unite Labour councillors of Coventry and the council leader.
"Today I put you on notice - that you will today receive your suspension letters from Unite.
"You will no longer be able to hold office in Unite or be part of our structures while we investigate your behaviour.
"And rest assured, you won't be getting your hands on any of my members' money for your elections in May."

The dispute has turned increasingly bitter in recent months, with the union and council criticising each other's claims about drivers' pay.
Earlier this month Unite members voted to extend the action with the original mandate due to finish on 23 March.
The council previously said its drivers were among the best paid in the West Midlands and strikes should be "called off immediately".
During the strike, the council has relied on Tom White Waste to provide collections, a private contractor wholly owned by the local authority.
Temporary drop-off sites have also been set up by the council.

Philosorapter

I'm going to say it.

Don't you have to a member of a Union to be put forward as Labour Party candidate at a local election?

Philosorapter

Also,

Chapter 5

Clause III.2

Attachments

• Capture6.PNG
    Capture6.PNG
    142.1 KB · Views: 12

Philosorapter

Does this mean the suspended Unite Labour councillors can't be proposed as the Labour candidates in the forthcoming local elections?

Philosorapter

The deadline for candidates to submit an interest in the local election is 5th April.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

As a non Coventry resident , how are Cov folk getting their bins emptied ? Is it trips to the tip ?

chiefdave

As a non Coventry resident , how are Cov folk getting their bins emptied ? Is it trips to the tip ?
the council have engaged a contractor owned by the council to do the deliveries, allegedly at far greater cost than paying what the existing drivers are asking for. they are also terrible at if so its 50/50 if your bin gets collected and virtual zero chance it will be on the right day if it does, well where I am anyway, don't know about the rest of the city.

been no recycling collections since before Xmas so everyone is just putting that in with the rest of the landfill.

Grendel

the council have engaged a contractor owned by the council to do the deliveries, allegedly at far greater cost than paying what the existing drivers are asking for. they are also terrible at if so its 50/50 if your bin gets collected and virtual zero chance it will be on the right day if it does, well where I am anyway, don't know about the rest of the city.

been no recycling collections since before Xmas so everyone is just putting that in with the rest of the landfill.

my normal bin has been collected every time since the service started again always on the right day

the greater cost thing obviously is misleading

wingy

Was told blue bin this week but alas just green again which was second time in a fortnight .
Driver said blue would be next week.

NorthernWisdom

It might end up being careful what you wish for. Gary Ridley is congratulating Cov Labour on their stance during this strike, but suggesting they're not going far enough, and the collections should go private permanently...

chiefdave

It might end up being careful what you wish for. Gary Ridley is congratulating Cov Labour on their stance during this strike, but suggesting they're not going far enough, and the collections should go private permanently...
Conservatives in wanting to privatise something shocker.

No collection again yesterday, was supposed to be the first recycling collection since before Christmas and this morning some genius has decided the best time to do the bins on the A45 is during rush hour, the results were predictable.

Nick

Administrator

No collection again yesterday, was supposed to be the first recycling collection since before Christmas and this morning some genius has decided the best time to do the bins on the A45 is during rush hour, the results were predictable.

Oh yeah they do love doing things on main roads in rush hour. Outside schools as well.

Only time they seem to be seen is when they are holding everybody up.

Grendel

our blue bin was collected Tuesday

Grendel

You were lucky, yesterday's were disrupted because of action at picketlines outside thr private contractor's.
Yes I saw they were blocking vehicles getting out

Grendel

they went out early as the strikers yesterday blocked the site so the bin lorries could not get out

Grendel

Are brown (garden) bins being collected? Seen some on the road adjacent to me going out but can’t see anything on the website

no_loyalty

Are brown (garden) bins being collected? Seen some on the road adjacent to me going out but can’t see anything on the website

Started today according to the Coventry Telegraph website.

LastGarrison

Starting this week if it is your blue bin week.

They’ll be collecting both.

Round of applause for the private contractors pulling their weight.

Advie

Starting this week if it is your blue bin week.

They’ll be collecting both.

Round of applause for the private contractors pulling their weight.

I've noticed they've not quite mastered the art of leaving your bin 6 miles away yet. I imagine this will be sorted in good time.

Users who are viewing this thread