Bin Strikes (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
I hope as SBT members we all get some sort of blackmarket offer for a member being a bin man.

Watch the fly tipping get worse :(

chiefdave

Assume the drivers need a HGV license, how much do the drivers get paid? I've got a couple of job alerts setup for anything that comes up in Cov and every day there's multiple job ads for HGV drivers paying £40K plus.

If there's a shortage of drivers and therefore bigger salaries being offered councils are going to have to match them. You can knock a bit off for the hours and staying local but you still need to match increases elsewhere.

Jamiepwns

Assume the drivers need a HGV license, how much do the drivers get paid? I've got a couple of job alerts setup for anything that comes up in Cov and every day there's multiple job ads for HGV drivers paying £40K plus.

If there's a shortage of drivers and therefore bigger salaries being offered councils are going to have to match them. You can knock a bit off for the hours and staying local but you still need to match increases elsewhere.
I saw something saying about £22k. Can't blame them at all!

Si80

£22k is what they’re paid.

ajsccfc

Got an email from SMBC about Christmas collections, opened it fearing the usual based on experience of Cov council but it was a cheery confirmation of business as usual. Now I worry will it feel like Christmas without the street outside starting to smell of stale bin juice and having the fun of hurdling backed up recycling? The magic may be gone

no_loyalty

£22k is a joke wage. More power to them (he says safely outside the CCC jurisdiction).

It is a joke wage but the national average is only £23,500, I don’t know how many hours per week they do?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

£22k is a joke wage. More power to them (he says safely outside the CCC jurisdiction).

It certainly is, and the bin men would be missed far more quickly than a lot of those paid much more to sit in offices.

But at the same time the pressures on local government financing are huge.

If only there was some way of sorting out the disparity - a sort of 'levelling-up' if you will...

rob9872

I was more bothered about his uncle - Bin Laden.

duffer

Got an email from SMBC about Christmas collections, opened it fearing the usual based on experience of Cov council but it was a cheery confirmation of business as usual. Now I worry will it feel like Christmas without the street outside starting to smell of stale bin juice and having the fun of hurdling backed up recycling? The magic may be gone

No problem, post up your address and we'll hire a van to pop all of our bins up your way. Sans cats, obviously. :)

rob9872

Apologies in advance as I know we have binmen on here who have their right to say, but I'm not holding back what I think simply because of that as many of you have.

What's the issue? You know the pay when you take the job on. You don't like it, change jobs. It's no different to the rest of us. Yes bills are going up, but personally I had 1% rise in 2020, zero this year. Not sure what's happening this coming Jan yet, but not heard anything so not holding my breath.

I really don't get it. If its not pay, then conditions haven't changed, if anything in recent years have got easier with less lifting and already pre-sorted recycling.

chiefdave

It's no different to the rest of us. Yes bills are going up, but personally I had 1% rise in 2020, zero this year. Not sure what's happening this coming Jan yet, but not heard anything so not holding my breath.
I never understand the 'I haven't had a pay rise so nobody should get one' idea. If bills are going up shouldn't we be pushing for everyone to get pay rises?

rob9872

I never understand the 'I haven't had a pay rise so nobody should get one' idea. If bills are going up shouldn't we be pushing for everyone to get pay rises?
Yes we should, but I wouldn't expect someone else to suffer for my choices and I can either get a pay rise or move jobs. Lots out there at the minute. I'll stay, but then I won't expect my employer in tough times when colleagues have lost jobs, to increase my wages.

rob9872

It's also a service paid for by residents through council tax. Will they get a reduction for the affected time? Will they bollocks.

Evo1883

It's also a service paid for by residents through council tax. Will they get a reduction for the affected time? Will they bollocks.

Recycling and Garden are not included in your council tax 👌

Coventry are also one of the only councils still that collect garden waste for no extra charge

Evo1883

PS : Join a union , a proper union that will stand up to the employer 😘

Also deleted my first reply as again , I don't know if I can trust people on here to not be on the blower to CCC

Nick

Administrator
Recycling and Garden are not included in your council tax

Coventry are also one of the only councils still that collect garden waste for no extra charge
Explains why my recycling got ignored for 2 months

Given up recycling now.

Evo1883

Anyway , I've moved onto commercial now , I pick up businesses and schools .. so get off my back 🤣

rob9872

Proper tory boy attitude , everybody should be on a liveable wage , and paid their worth .. full stop
I didn't bite, but as you've gone in again with a personal dig, then yes. It's not a skilled job, it doesn't say anything about the people doing it, but there are no skills required so it pays market forces. When there aren't people willing to do it wages will increase, until then move on if its not suitable, but why should residents suffer for selfishness?

Evo1883

I didn't bite, but as you've gone in again with a personal dig, then yes. It's not a skilled job, it doesn't say anything about the people doing it, but there are no skills required so it pays market forces. When there aren't people willing to do it wages will increase, until then move on if its not suitable, but why should residents suffer for selfishness?

HGV driving is a skilled job .. you pay several thousands to aquire these licenses and attend CPC courses every 5 years .

The rates of pay are currently behind the market rate , you have no argument

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread