Match Thread Barnsley Match Thread (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

I would take a point but we could really do with all three considering the next few opponents.

October is a savage month for fixtures, with the next four games being Bournemouth, Brentford, Swansea & Blackburn. I think we'll be lucky to get anything, 3-4 points would be a good return.

1-1 (O'Hare)

I'd be delighted with a point. No matter how Barnsley stayed up, they stayed up and have a squad with Championship experience. And on top of that they have a squad of players who can run like this fella apparently

1601048262152.png

capel & collindridge

I would take a point but we could really do with all three considering the next few opponents.

October is a savage month for fixtures, with the next four games being Bournemouth, Brentford, Swansea & Blackburn. I think we'll be lucky to get anything, 3-4 points would be a good return.

1-1 (O'Hare)
Not sure October is much different to most months. Together the teams we play in October have averaged 1.75 points a game this season. In February we play Watford, Cardiff. Norwich, Brentford and Swansea (average 1.8).

In March we play Middlesbrough, Derby, Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe (average 1.0). But I think we are almost as likely to get fewer points in March as we get in October simply because in the Championship most teams can beat any of the others on any given day.

Anyway, we already average 1.5. And the two teams we've already played average 2.25!

D

Deleted member 2477

We beat the worst defensive team in the division 3-2 and suddenly people are expecting us to hammer Barnsley?

I love how carried away this place gets.

Anyway....4-1 City win
hardly the worst defensive team in the league when we they have only played two games.

Warwickhunt

Tight Draw methinks. They will be busting a gut to get a result over us!

TewkesburySkyBlue

Scoring goals.
As I’ve said last season, we had the 2nd best pressing stats in the league behind Leeds, and only just behind them, which is good in itself, but when you think we only got our head coach in October it’s even better. Add to that the fact we finished 5th in the XG table, it highlights we create lots of chances. We were prone to silly mistakes at the back, but we’ve gotten much better in that area overall the last 10/15 games or so, our massive weakness is our inability to put our chances away.
I’ve always had a soft spot for the People’s Republic of Barnsley ( Arthur Scargill excluded of course !,)

TewkesburySkyBlue

Not sure October is much different to most months. Together the teams we play in October have averaged 1.75 points a game this season. In February we play Watford, Cardiff. Norwich, Brentford and Swansea (average 1.8).

In March we play Middlesbrough, Derby, Rotherham, Luton and Wycombe (average 1.0). But I think we are almost as likely to get fewer points in March as we get in October simply because in the Championship most teams can beat any of the others on any given day.

Anyway, we already average 1.5. And the two teams we've already played average 2.25!
Interesting but surely it’s a bit early to use stats like that ?

SkyBlueMatt

I'm not saying there won't be other months where we have tricky fixtures or that we won't pull off shock results. You've pointed out February as another one, which looks just as tricky as October.

I think basing a team on last years performance is a better indicator than 2 games into a new season. The table and PPG means nothing yet, Forest & Derby will finish above Luton & Birmingham.

The four games I mentioned contain a prem team, 2 playoff teams and a team that just missed off on the play offs.

March actually looks one of the easier months for us (apart from Derby) and we have to be winning most of those games if we want to stay in this league.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Gibbo

As the consensus appears to be that Giles will start ahead of McCallum and Ostigard ahead of Rose, there seems to be only two areas of doubt in the team selection, CDM and left side attack

The options appear to be - in order of liklihood (imho)

1. CDM Shipley LSA Allen
2. CDM Sheaf LSA Shipley
3. CDM Sheaf LSA Allen

Personally I am for the least likely option - Sheaf & Allen. Nobody has seen much of Sheaf but it is his position, whereas Shipley (whom I am not sure will make the grade in this division even in his preferred place) is playing out of position.

Irish Sky Blue

Scargill was a great orator.
Some him doing a speech down the Spencer club of all places!
Saw Neville Staples do a gig in the same room a few years later!
I always felt that Scargill was on some ideological crusade and the NUM was his vehicle. I'm not sure it was always the miner's best interests that were at the heart of his campaigns. If you compare him to Joe Gormley, the bloke he succeeded, I don't think he comes out as a very good leader. You also never saw him smile, he seemed to have no sense of humour, no lighter side to his character. He was obviously proved right over Thatcher's intention to smash the mining industry, but I still don't think he will be thought of as a good leader. (sort of vested interest in this as my dad was a miner and I grew up in a colliery village (Binley))

Ricketts

5-0 City. Some team is due a hiding by our team of beautiful flowing football, and it will be these first, followed by 3 others beginning with 'B'.

Skybluebeliever

As the consensus appears to be that Giles will start ahead of McCallum and Ostigard ahead of Rose, there seems to be only two areas of doubt in the team selection, CDM and left side attack

1. CDM Shipley LSA Allen
2. CDM Sheaf LSA Shipley
3. CDM Sheaf LSA Allen

Personally I am for the least likely option - Sheaf & Allen. Nobody has seen much of Sheaf but it is his position, whereas Shipley (whom I am not sure will make the grade in this division even in his preferred place) is playing out of position.

fernandopartridge

1. CDM Shipley LSA Allen
2. CDM Sheaf LSA Shipley
3. CDM Sheaf LSA Allen

Edit, read it properly now.

I thought Shipley was decent against QPR once he stopped trying to sit on the edge of our D. He has a good passing range and is calm on the ball. Closed down better as well. Not to far Sheaf isn't a good option but he looked pretty rusty at Gillingham.

robbiethemole

Fuck me did anyone watch the Huddersfield v Forest match? Can't believe they sold us Walker. Thier stickers can't hit a barn door!

well that was turgid, the tempo looked so slow and a lack of urgency and Trees especially never really looked like scoring.
I really think our passing game will catch a few out and we will be ok.

hamil99

Facebook User
well that was turgid, the tempo looked so slow and a lack of urgency and Trees especially never really looked like scoring.
I really think our passing game will catch a few out and we will be ok.

It was pretty dire. Huddersfield were bad but Forest were completely lifeless. Not surprised they haven't won match.

I agree that if we play like we can, we'd steam roll them.

ccfcchris

• Coventry have scored in 19 of their last 20 league games
  • The Sky Blues have seen both teams score in three successive matches in all competitions
  • The Tykes have lost 10 of 13 clashes with Coventry in the second tier
Barnsley were beaten 6-0 at Chelsea on Wednesday night and things are likely to get worse for the Tykes, who remain without defenders Michal Helik and Mads Andersen. Will that cost them at the back in this clash with Coventry?

Coventry have won 12 of their last 16 games in league competition (D3 L1) and have failed to score in just one of their last 20. They have had a high-scoring start to this season, with each of their last three games seeing both teams score.

Meanwhile, Barnsley hit 1.2 goals per home game last season and they have averaged nearly 10 shots per game so far this season, so they should be rewarded going forward soon. ur first prediction here is both teams to score, with the Sky Blues seeing eight goals scored across their opening two matches.

At Championship level, Barnsley have won just three of their last 25 matches against sides newly promoted from League One (D10 L12), winning none of their four games last season. Coventry City have won 10 of their last 13 matches against Barnsley in the second tier (D1 L2). Following that, and given Barnsley’s absences, we think there’s value in backing a 2-1 victory for Coventry.

Barnsley

• Coventry have scored in 19 of their last 20 league games
  • The Sky Blues have seen both teams score in three successive matches in all competitions
  • The Tykes have lost 10 of 13 clashes with Coventry in the second tier
Barnsley were beaten 6-0 at Chelsea on Wednesday night and things are likely to get worse for the Tykes, who remain without defenders Michal Helik and Mads Andersen. Will that cost them at the back in this clash with Coventry?

Coventry have won 12 of their last 16 games in league competition (D3 L1) and have failed to score in just one of their last 20. They have had a high-scoring start to this season, with each of their last three games seeing both teams score.

Meanwhile, Barnsley hit 1.2 goals per home game last season and they have averaged nearly 10 shots per game so far this season, so they should be rewarded going forward soon. ur first prediction here is both teams to score, with the Sky Blues seeing eight goals scored across their opening two matches.

At Championship level, Barnsley have won just three of their last 25 matches against sides newly promoted from League One (D10 L12), winning none of their four games last season. Coventry City have won 10 of their last 13 matches against Barnsley in the second tier (D1 L2). Following that, and given Barnsley’s absences, we think there’s value in backing a 2-1 victory for Coventry.

given Barnsley’s absences, we think there’s value in backing a 2-1 victory for Coventry.

They‘re in for a shock at 14.00 when both absentees are back in the squad 🤣😂🤣

shmmeee

giphy.gif

AFCCOVENTRY

McCallum should make the bench today in place of Mason i suspect. Only change that might happen is Sheaf coming in for Shipley but we know Robins doesn’t like changing a team that one their last game.

Ian1779

I think we can come away with 3 points.

I hope McCallum doesn’t displace Giles at this moment in time, he deserves to keep that spot.

stay_up_skyblues

Finally matchday. Three points please, don’t want to waste the boner still being nursed after Dabo’s contract extension.

Unchanged from QPR for me, Shipperz and Giles to keep their places on merit.

lifeskyblue

Yes keep he same. If we chasing game in last 20 then mcallum on and move Giles further forward sacrificing Shipley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frostie

I'd be very tempted to bring Sheaf in for Shipley. Playing through the Barnsley press is going to be the key factor & a calm & composed player in his natural position there could make all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread