Anti-SISU (1 Viewer)

lacesoutdom

Just been thinking and wanted to get a feel of the fans, I feel the anti-SISU was so strong when we were in the depth of L2, now were doing well in the Champ any hatred towards them seems to have died down. A few years ago if Cov released new training gear, or casual wear there would people say NOPM etc...

is this down to purely doing well? or just fighting the machine was never going to change anything?

Is anyone still on here actively staying away from games/merch as strongly as they were?

Covkid1968#

I think it reflects the progress on and off the pitch. It’s evident that Sisu realised they didn’t have a clue how to manage a football club so they got someone in who does. The on pitch progress is plain to see and I think we are all just football fans looking to be entertained…,and we are now

I’m still very much NOPM where the greedy ex wife is concerned but that’s a different conversation

chiefdave

Most of it was people who didn't bother anyway though wasn't it?
I suspect it was a convenient excuse for people who didn't fancy some of the complete shit we saw in L1 and L2. The number of people who were genuinely boycotting anything was probably pretty low.

Not to say that SISU weren't unpopular obviously but you generally don't see protests against owners when teams are doing well. If we were about to start our fifth season in L2 it would be very different.

SAJ

I suspect it was a convenient excuse for people who didn't fancy some of the complete shit we saw in L1 and L2. The number of people who were genuinely boycotting anything was probably pretty low.

Not to say that SISU weren't unpopular obviously but you generally don't see protests against owners when teams are doing well. If we were about to start our fifth season in L2 it would be very different.
Think you’re spot on there. I know 3 really anti Sisu fans who boycotted games and were very vocal but thinking about it I can’t remember them attending many anyway. Other than the 2 Wembley games I can’t say I’ve seen them at a match.

Samo

Met a guy the other day who told me he will still not attend while SISU own the club but might attend a few Wasps games.
It was so hard not to say what I was thinking.

Last edited:

Flying Fokker

Not all. The little matter of taking the team out of Coventry? That is the primary reason. For some it was impossible to ‘Follow their team out of the city Wasps and SISU are well matched.

Gint11

Theyve made mistakes. I’ll never agree to taking a team outside of the city that it represents but you can’t argue they’ve done some good things for the club and have things in place making us well run at the moment. The next move which will dictate opinion now is the new stadium.

Old Warwickshire lad

Theyve made mistakes. I’ll never agree to taking a team outside of the city that it represents but you can’t argue they’ve done some good things for the club and have things in place making us well run at the moment. The next move which will dictate opinion now is the new stadium.
They won’t build a new stadium, they will sell any players they get a half decent offer for.
And if someone comes calling for the manager,they will do nothing to keep him if it means they have to spend money.

mr_monkey

They won’t build a new stadium, they will sell any players they get a half decent offer for.
And if someone comes calling for the manager,they will do nothing to keep him if it means they have to spend money.

Other than give him a new contract when Sunderland came knocking you mean....

Selling players happens to every team in the world so no stick to beat them there really, and yes unfortunately I think you are right about the stadium I just don't get what their end game is with it

Grendel

No issue with selling players, have and will always have to. The “new stadium” I agree

The stadium issue is worrying. You do wonder if it ends up with another attempt at applying pressure on Wasps Holdings - "give us the ground or we are off"

Samo

The stadium issue is worrying. You do wonder if it ends up with another attempt at applying pressure on Wasps Holdings - "give us the ground or we are off"

Its not theirs to give though is it? Surely CCC will have protected it from that?

Grendel

Its not theirs to give though is it? Surely CCC will have protected it from that?

I don't see how they could have in reality. There's a default clause but if the Rugby Club ever did go into administration they I assume don't own the lease anyway but the holding company does. Its obvious as the years go on the same old narrative will re-appear

Samo

I don't see how they could have in reality. There's a default clause but if the Rugby Club ever did go into administration they I assume don't own the lease anyway but the holding company does. Its obvious as the years go on the same old narrative will re-appear

So the lease wouldn't default back to CCC is Wasps went bump?

Grendel

So the lease wouldn't default back to CCC is Wasps went bump?

No as the ultimate owner I assume is MGI Fiduciary. Its a misconception - yes it will revert back if the leaseholder goes under but even then there are caveats around that - including I think some rights for tenants which may prove interesting

Gint11

I didn’t say I think they’ll build one. I’m pointing out if they do, it silences some, if they don’t, we’re back to smoke and mirrors but you can’t deny we are a much better well run club than when they took over (apart from the exiles).

EVERY club sells players. And to be fair it’s our business model. We buy, improve, sell on repeat. Even if that wasn’t our model, we can’t keep hold of players who want to progress higher.

Side note - even if we were 6th in the Premier league we would struggle to keep certain players.

Samo

No as the ultimate owner I assume is MGI Fiduciary. Its a misconception - yes it will revert back if the leaseholder goes under but even then there are caveats around that - including I think some rights for tenants which may prove interesting

Ok this makes sense, and must be why JS still believes there is a route to ownership of the stadium.
Either this is true or she really intends to build a new stadium, which I have never believed for a second.

mrtickle

Just been thinking and wanted to get a feel of the fans, I feel the anti-SISU was so strong when we were in the depth of L2, now were doing well in the Champ any hatred towards them seems to have died down. A few years ago if Cov released new training gear, or casual wear there would people say NOPM etc...

is this down to purely doing well? or just fighting the machine was never going to change anything?

Is anyone still on here actively staying away from games/merch as strongly as they were?

I feel the on field improvement has parallels with improved support from SISU and the fans. Whilst I understand NOPM, I always felt it did more harm than good but that’s just MHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOM

Think we'd see a lot more "Sisu out" if we'd lost all our opening games this season, and tolerance of the owners overall seems to align with the teams performance.
I'd definitely attribute our recent success down to the management team rather than Sisu and I still want them gone for us to progress further.

As others have also said, anyone I know who could be considered NOPM didn't really attend anyway, and quite a few who had a floating interest are attending the odd game again this season.

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Like a lot of posters have mentioned, I don’t think NOPM exists as a movement anymore and it often felt like an excuse by those that didn’t attend games anyway.

I think a lot of fans (myself included) have had enough of shouting/protesting/erupting with fury about the ownership of the club. Whilst we’re not overjoyed that SISU are still here, declaring war fare and boycotting supporting the team we love, achieves nothing.

We are a far cry from the dark days of being 14 points from Safety in League 1, with Slade in the dugout, the odious Fisher stirring things up and fans attempting to abandon games.

We now have what all football fans want, a team and manager - in our city, we can be proud of. Let’s enjoy it.

Grendel

I feel the on field improvement has parallels with improved support from SISU and the fans. Whilst I understand NOPM, I always felt it did more harm than good but that’s just MHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sisu have offered no support

Earlsdon-Loyal-Blue

Think we'd see a lot more "Sisu out" if we'd lost all our opening games this season, and tolerance of the owners overall seems to align with the teams performance.
I'd definitely attribute our recent success down to the management team rather than Sisu and I still want them gone for us to progress further.

As others have also said, anyone I know who could be considered NOPM didn't really attend anyway, and quite a few who had a floating interest are attending the odd game again this season.

Good point. This isn’t exclusive to us, I notice the green and gold, Glazers out shouts in Salford have gone quiet now Man Utd have re-signed Ronaldo and are top of the table. The best way to silence criticism of the ownership or management is success.

Winny the Bish

Being back in Coventry definitely helps, as well as the fact that they backed Robins in L2 & L1 with competitive budgets.

We still need shot of them in order to truly progress and ensure this season is more than a fluke though.

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I don't trust our owners but my level of opposition to them has definitely subsided in line with our increased success. In part i think the owners are running the club better than they were (seems we lose key players for free far less frequently for example) but i've also wised up to the fact that we are highly unlikely to see new ownership any time soon and a boycott only ever seemed to make the situation worse. As other posters have alluded to i don't think the stadium stories are anything other than another way to put pressure on Wasps but i'd be happy to be proved wrong if it were in the club's interests.

D

Deleted member 2477

They have made mistakes and some of their previous actions like taking us to Northants unforgivable. The past two years a lot of water has gone under the bridge helped by promotions and what appears to be a club being managed in budget and successfully.
if we were still in league 2 and playing outside the city then I wouldnt be at all happy however we have to back the team and club if we want it to succeed and it would appear on the face of it Sisu are running the club financially responsible. Yes as fans we would all like to see million pound stars coming to the club but when you look at other clubs like Derby, Forest,Wednesday etc it does make you think perhaps Sisu arnt as bad as we thought

Legia Sky Blue

For me NOPM was only a valid standpoint when we were in Northampton, and of course many did stay away during that time. Once back in Cov, regardless of owners, NOPM ceased to have any validity though. Most of the lapsed supporters I knew at that time had got out of the habit of going to games, found other hobbies such as golf, going to the pub & watching racing and Soccer Saturday, going on trips with kids etc and weren't easily enticed back, not on a regular basis anyway. None of the lapsed supporters I know have used NOPM as a reason not to go other than in the Northampton season. Anyhow a couple of guys I know that used to be regulars are going again on Friday, so hopefully we continue to play well to not just encourage them back, but others too.

slowpoke

Been here before with Sepalla just over two years ago she appeared on the scene smiling & praising the teams fortunes while all the time knowing she had put in an appeal to the Euro courts regarding Wasps acquisition of the Ricoh which led to us having to play at St.Andrews, now she is back on the scene attending games and functions talking a new stadium.
Leopards never change their spots.

Users who are viewing this thread