Actual Carl Baker Day - It has happened! (1 Viewer)

skybluesam66

I am worried about this
I really dont think we should consider him for this season - Everything is going fine without him
It may have the Steven Hunt/ Darius Henderson effect

we saw on Saturday, another ex "legend" who should have retired long ago. Lets leave this one well alone with so few games to go, and all of them important

Otis

I am worried about this
I really dont think we should consider him for this season - Everything is going fine without him

we saw on Saturday, another ex "legend" who should have retired long ago. Lets leave this one well alone with so few games to go, and all of them important
It's a risk playing him, but I see no problem with us having him on the bench.

He would surely only come on if we were winning comfortably, or if we were chasing a game. With the latter it is worth trying anything.

Nick

Administrator
It's a risk playing him, but I see no problem with us having him on the bench.

He would surely only come on if we were winning comfortably, or if we were chasing a game. With the latter it is worth trying anything.

Not much point him being on the bench if he's not fit to play.

SkyBlueCRJ

Why the hell sign him if he’s not fit at the time? Very odd. I thought the idea was prove your fitness and there may be something on the table?

I wouldn't go as far as to label it odd. I think it's a case of he was close to being 100% fit at the time but tweaked his calf in training so Robins isn't risking him. This isn't uncommon for a player who hasn't really played in a year. Reports suggest he has been training despite his injury so I'm confident he'll make his debut at some point.

coop

He was at my lads under 16 game on Sunday looking for players for his new academy never spoke to him as he probably won't of told me anything.I think he will be a good to have around especially after winning promotion last season.

tskezz

I am worried about this

i agree, i like the idea of him around the club but i think it may be silly trying to fit him in the squad when we're doing well.

no_loyalty

Why the hell sign him if he’s not fit at the time? Very odd. I thought the idea was prove your fitness and there may be something on the table?

If he is on a pay as you play deal then the club has lost nothing, if he is fit before the end of the season then it is a bonus

Hobo

If he is on a pay as you play deal then the club has lost nothing, if he is fit before the end of the season then it is a bonus

Fit by the end of the season and making a difference is world's apart. At this stage he is no more than a gamble and based on his lack of fitness and recent performances he is nowhere near meriting a place.

Paxman II

I think having him as a threat from the bench and when we are struggling for a goal late in games needing to change it. He has that ability to hit the net at this level presuming he is still 80% the player we remember. Vital goals may yet be the key in promotion so worth the risk in signing him but does not mean he starts while the team is doing so well.
MR's also indicated Beavon is in form, indicating he may appear on the bench soon. An inform Beavon could be useful from the bench if we need to change it.
Ponticelli and Stokes chomping at the bit, Kelly asking what he's done wrong and Davies fit again means competition for places, and those in the side know they must keep performing to keep their place. It's all good.
(Hope I didn't just jinx it)

Grendel

An inform Beavon - must be scoring 1 in every 20 games now.

Nick

Administrator
Is there something people are missing? Keep calling for him to start / be on the bench.

He hasn't even trained... Let alone played an U23 match to get some match fitness.

Hobo

Is there something people are missing? Keep calling for him to start / be on the bench.

He hasn't even trained... Let alone played an U23 match to get some match fitness.

Good points, but you are forgetting this is The Carl Baker his fans are talking about!

Nick

Administrator
Maybe I should have just stuck to knowing more than Robins and the Physios? :)

I was expecting him to be struggling for fitness still, but if he has proved it to the physios and Robins then it's enough for me. Will just judge him on what he does on the pitch, will be good to have as an option.

Nick

Administrator
This additional quote as well:

He hasn’t played this season or certainly since he left India, so we’re waiting for him and he needs to get himself in a position where he feels he can train and at the moment that isn’t anywhere close.

I really hope it is pay as you play, if he isn't anywhere close to training then how likely is he to even play a match?

Esoterica

The whole saga is delicious. From all those people who have continued to give him a good rimming for years on facebook even after he left, to him re-signing to much petting of the one eyed wonder weasel, only for him to never actually be fit enough to even train, nevermind play.
Still, when we balls up the play offs and Robins is sacked 10 games into next season with us hovering mid table, he'll make an amazing assistant as part of the Doyle/Baker player-manager dream team.

chiefdave

I really hope it is pay as you play
Sounds like it from what Robins says there. He's not an idiot and with the little money we have I can't see him paying Baker a wage knowing he isn't fit and might not even play a game.

Its all set for him to make his return at Wembley and put in a MOTM performance!

Otis

The whole saga is delicious. From all those people who have continued to give him a good rimming for years on facebook even after he left, to him re-signing to much petting of the one eyed wonder weasel, only for him to never actually be fit enough to even train, nevermind play.
Still, when we balls up the play offs and Robins is sacked 10 games into next season with us hovering mid table, he'll make an amazing assistant as part of the Doyle/Baker player-manager dream team.
Loving all the positive vibes running throughout your post. :)

Nick

Administrator

Now you mention it.

Doyle in his sharp suit stood silently analysing with Baker in his tracksuit animated on the sideline.

giphy.gif

Esoterica

Loving all the positive vibes running throughout your post. :)
Well I may have been playing it up a smidge ;) It just amazes me that (some) grown men watching football all their lives were expecting a 35 year old who hasn't played all season to come in and drag us to promotion glory at the business end of a season. It tickles me the pedestal he is put on just from a bit of social media interaction. Even the 'experienced presence around a young squad' angle is bollocks - Robins hasn't seen him for days! It's no harm done if it's pay as you play though.

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Yes, what a tasty saga :D

Warwickhunt

If he has got the flu then he would have been told to stay away and not infect the squad.

Dimi_Konstantflapalot

Well I may have been playing it up a smidge ;) It just amazes me that (some) grown men watching football all their lives were expecting a 35 year old who hasn't played all season to come in and drag us to promotion glory at the business end of a season. It tickles me the pedestal he is put on just from a bit of social media interaction. Even the 'experienced presence around a young squad' angle is bollocks - Robins hasn't seen him for days! It's no harm done if it's pay as you play though.

He's a throwback to the old Aron Gunnarsson 'add me on facebook' days

Captain Dart

Odds on him playing this season, 33-1 against.

Users who are viewing this thread