Actual Carl Baker Day - It has happened! (2 Viewers)

Terry Gibson's perm

I’m not his biggest fan but I do think it’s a good signing

edgy

Surely he'll need 2 or 3 U23 games before he ready to join the squad. Might only have 5 or so games to take part in.
But if that enables Bayliss to play centrally, then great.

torchomatic

Look, I’ve been totally against this move since it’s been mooted.

I still don’t see how he’s going to be better than he was before now he’s older and less fit.

Maybe L2 balances out those points.

I hope he proves me wrong but I simply don’t share the excitement of the majority on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boo, hiss etc.

ceetee

Look, I’ve been totally against this move since it’s been mooted.

I still don’t see how he’s going to be better than he was before now he’s older and less fit.

Maybe L2 balances out those points.

I hope he proves me wrong but I simply don’t share the excitement of the majority on here.

I think if he's used as a super-sub for 15 mins or so he might make a contribution but i doubt that he'll start. If I'm wrong , and he does, and still makes a contribution I'll be as happy as anyone. It's not that he will be denying a place for someone else who is outstanding

Skyblueweeman

I'll put it another way Mcguire-Drew/Barrett or Baker?

Honestly, none of them!

Like I said, I'd be delighted if he proves me wrong, puts in some good shifts and contributes to the goals or assists column but my opinion is he won't. I have been wrong before though (Hi Ray) and hope I'm wrong here.

no_loyalty

I think if he's used as a super-sub for 15 mins or so he might make a contribution but i doubt that he'll start. If I'm wrong , and he does, and still makes a contribution I'll be as happy as anyone. It's not that he will be denying a place for someone else who is outstanding

Baker and Kyel Reid as impact player's off the bench

Moff

giphy.gif

Best day of my life

Laughed so much at this.

Sky Blue Harry H

Wasn't sure whether to post this on here, or the Unrealistic song thread but.......

Hello, Hello
Grendel meltdown, Grendel meltdown

fatso

Not exactly over the moon about this but let's be honest he can't be any worse than Barrett or Maguire-Drew
Wow, that’s a ringing endorsement if ever there was one.
Actually, I’ve been saying for ages, that what we are short of in midfield, is a 35 year old injury prone has been with no pace!

lifeskyblue

Every dog has its day...I think baker’s day has now passed. Not convinced he is fit enough even for a 20min cameo. Hope tomorrow night everyone on here is telling me how wrong I am...but I just can’t see it...Sorry

Nick

Administrator
Every dog has its day...I think baker’s day has now passed. Not convinced he is fit enough even for a 20min cameo. Hope tomorrow night everyone on here is telling me how wrong I am...but I just can’t see it...Sorry

I'm not sure how he will be match fit, he hasn't even been playing U23 games unless they have been doing some behind closed doors in secret for him? He is a physically fit bloke anyway rather than a fatty and obviously "works out" but it's that match sharpness.

SkyBlueSoul

I'm tentatively excited about this one. I rated him first time around, even though he could be a bit erratic. I can't see him starting much but if he gets up to speed quickly he'll be great off the bench. Big "if" there though, look at Joe Cole

There's probably nothing in it but I think it's a bit convenient that they've dropped this the day after season tickets have been rolled out for next season...

Otis

I'm tentatively excited about this one. I rated him first time around, even though he could be a bit erratic. I can't see him starting much but if he gets up to speed quickly he'll be great off the bench. Big "if" there though, look at Joe Cole

There's probably nothing in it but I think it's a bit convenient that they've dropped this the day after season tickets have been rolled out for next season...
Bottom line is:

Is he better a better option than DeKE on the right? Yes, surely

Is he better option than Barrett and JMD on the right? Yes, Mo's definitely

Is he a better option than Vincenti on the right? Probably, yes.

Let's give him a chance and see what he can do. If it doesn't work then I can't see it causing us any grief.

fernandopartridge

As I said before, his experience is helpful to have around. He's a down to earth bloke who has made himself a career and seems to be a solid professional, exactly what we need.

For all the slating of Beavon, he too has achieved a couple of promotions and will be good to have around.

oucho

If nothing else, at least this'll stop people calling for us to re-sign Baker.

Especially if he's shite.

christonabike

I can hear it now..."Burge kicks it down field, Baker manages to keep it from going out for a throw on the half way line, passes to Doyle who runs and makes a pass into the box for Baker...BOOOM GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":woot:

Terry Gibson's perm

I can hear it now..."Burge kicks it down field, Baker manages to keep it from going out for a throw on the half way line, passes to Doyle who runs and makes a pass into the box for Baker...BOOOM GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!":woot:

More like burge kicks it down field it’s gone out of play

SkyBlueSoul

Bottom line is:

Is he better a better option than DeKE on the right? Yes, surely

Is he better option than Barrett and JMD on the right? Yes, Mo's definitely

Is he a better option than Vincenti on the right? Probably, yes.

Let's give him a chance and see what he can do.

Oh definitely, agree with all of that. My concern is his fitness rather his talent. No good having someone better than all of those players who can't run around anymore. The main thing is none of us know if he can until we see him but Squeaky seems to think he's up to it so let's hope he's proven right!

pusbccfc

Baker's last 5 seasons:

(League 1 - CCFC) 12/13: Goals 15, assists 13
(League 1 - CCFC)13/14: Goals 10, assists 8
(League 1 - MK Dons) 14/15: Goals 10, assists 11 (in just 35 games) and was promoted as player of the season.
(Championship - MK Dons) 15/16: Goals 5, assists 1
(League 2, Pompey) 16/17: Goals 9, assists 5 and promoted to League 1

Despite him not being good enough for us in the championship, he has had an incredibly consistent career in League 1 and 2. Two promotions in the last three seasons with 2 clubs is impressive.

To put into context how weak our midfield has been in terms of goals an assists...

Shipley - 3 goals, 2 assists.
Bayliss - 2 goals, 2 assists.
Doyle - 3 goals, 2 assists.
Kelly - 0 goals, 3 assists.
Vincenti - 1 goal, 2 assists.

RegTheDonk

Blimy, it's like watching a trailer for X-Men in the cinema :D
Glad he's here, gives us options and generates interest - just in time to be promoting season tickets. Huge pressure on him now, but he's a big boy, looking forward to him justifying all the hype.

Skyblueweeman

Seriously though, he can / could take a decent free kick/corner and get decent crosses in - as well as shoot from distance

Hmmm...I remember a game at Fratton Park I think it was (might have been the FA Cup game where McSheffrey missed a pen) and thought to myself about how bad Baker was at set pieces. Granted, might have been a really bad day.

His experience will be good for the nippers though.

Users who are viewing this thread