Actual Carl Baker Day - It has happened! (3 Viewers)

Sky Blue Harry H

If we did well over the next couple of games and cemented our place, it would be good to give him a first team game (assuming he's already had an U23s run out) as we still haven't sorted the right hand side out. That said, if we've won the previous games, will MR want to change things? Perhaps good to rest one or two for the play offs - so he may get a chance. Big call though if he risks him in a key game,

Otis

If we did well over the next couple of games and cemented our place, it would be good to give him a first team game (assuming he's already had an U23s run out) as we still haven't sorted the right hand side out. That said, if we've won the previous games, will MR want to change things? {erha[s good to rest one or two for the play offs - so he may get a chance. Big call though if he risks him in a key game,
They are all key games now aren't they?

Legia Sky Blue

Always makes me laugh when we get the jibes about fans treating Baker as a legend, when you only have to read this thread to see the bitterness aimed towards him by many. Not met him myself, but my friend was raising money for 'Help the Heroes' and Baker was the one City player that went out of his way to help him & he can't speak highly enough of him, but because he engages with fans on social media the cynics seem to view him as a self publicist. As a player he obviously divides opinion - I tended to think that he got a rough time from our fans, although I get some saw him as wasteful, but having him available at some point is surely a good thing, and gives Robins more tactical options, and the team more back up if further injuries hit. Come the play offs I would certainly feel more confident with our chances with Baker in the team than Vincenti for instance, but even if he is available & doesn't play, well that's great too, as it inevitably means the team will be playing well enough for him not to be needed. I just don't see the downside of this deal and why so many seem so pissed off about it.

Grendel

Always makes me laugh when we get the jibes about fans treating Baker as a legend, when you only have to read this thread to see the bitterness aimed towards him by many. Not met him myself, but my friend was raising money for 'Help the Heroes' and Baker was the one City player that went out of his way to help him & he can't speak highly enough of him, but because he engages with fans on social media the cynics seem to view him as a self publicist. As a player he obviously divides opinion - I tended to think that he got a rough time from our fans, although I get some saw him as wasteful, but having him available at some point is surely a good thing, and gives Robins more tactical options, and the team more back up if further injuries hit. Come the play offs I would certainly feel more confident with our chances with Baker in the team than Vincenti for instance, but even if he is available & doesn't play, well that's great too, as it inevitably means the team will be playing well enough for him not to be needed. I just don't see the downside of this deal and why so many seem so pissed off about it.

The downside is he’s not fit and is just trying to use the club for his own ends next season. Baker was signed for a reasonable free and was going nowhere before he signed for this club. He was just playing for rubbish Northern clubs that began with the letter S.

I’ve never seen why we should offer him anything even if he’s mother Theresa - he had his time, he wasn’t that great and that’s it.

vow

Hi Bakes.

Covstu

The downside is he’s not fit and is just trying to use the club for his own ends next season. Baker was signed for a reasonable free and was going nowhere before he signed for this club. He was just playing for rubbish Northern clubs that began with the letter S.

I’ve never seen why we should offer him anything even if he’s mother Theresa - he had his time, he wasn’t that great and that’s it.
Agree I have nothing again Bakes but there has to be an output to this deal for the club. Hopefully he get back and contributes but at the moment he isn’t earning his keep

Hobo

If he was that good on social media I would not expect his adoring fans to keep asking every week if he is fit yet....when he is in fact weeks off.

Paxman II

A fit baker and with his experience and ability would be very evident if he plays. The issue is where does he fit in the team. He would ideally be in that number 10 role where we have Bayliss.

Great_Expectations

Don’t understand the hate for Baker.

He didn’t consistently set the world alight, but he had the ability to change games. Still did last season.

As had been said before, if he was fit would anyone actually prefer Vincenti/Barratt/DKE over him?

Granted he isn’t fit, but if he comes back and plays even just two games at anywhere near his best, he still has the chance to positively influence our season.

If he doesn’t, then what have we lost? He is on a pay as you play contract and is still an experienced passionate head to have around the squad; one who won the league last year and has an affinity for the club.

Terry_dactyl

Don’t understand the hate for Baker.

He didn’t consistently set the world alight, but he had the ability to change games. Still did last season.

As had been said before, if he was fit would anyone actually prefer Vincenti/Barratt/DKE over him?

Granted he isn’t fit, but if he comes back and plays even just two games at anywhere near his best, he still has the chance to positively influence our season.

If he doesn’t, then what have we lost? He is on a pay as you play contract and is still an experienced passionate head to have around the squad; one who won the league last year and has an affinity for the club.
Tbh I don’t have particularly strong feelings about him.
I think maybe some of the “hate” is in response to a lot of the love that went his way...possibly people exaggerating how good he is and the impact he had.
I thought he was alright. Nothing to write home about but at the same time was good enough.

shmmeee

Yeah let’s not have an experienced head who has been promoted out of this league and knows the club inside out, for free.

Let’s tell him to fook off because he hasn’t played for a wide enough variety of clubs beginning with different letters of the alphabet, apparently?

Nick

Administrator
Yeah let’s not have an experienced head who has been promoted out of this league and knows the club inside out, for free.

Let’s tell him to fook off because he hasn’t played for a wide enough variety of clubs beginning with different letters of the alphabet, apparently?
Or because he's injured and not even around the club to share experience?

Terry_dactyl

In fairness We’ve already got Doyle, Davies, macdonald, O’Brien, mcnulty (I might be making that one up), beavon...who’ve all been promoted out of this league (I think).
As for knowing the club inside out...I’m not sure what that means. has he played under Robins? How does that help him be better?
As far as I can tell baker says he likes the club a lot, which is great, but if that’s why we’ve re-signed him then we should’ve re-signed mcsheffrey as at least he’s fit and is apparently best mates with Doyle...good for team morale(?)...and has actually been in a side promoted to the prem.
I think baker would be better than we’ve got IF he was as good as he was for Pompey (I understand he was quite good for them and got some important goals) or when he was here before but we just don’t know if he is or not. Seemingly it was felt he was worth a punt.

Last edited:

Grendel

We have Doyle who fits that category far more than Baker and he actually plays matches.

Orca

We have Doyle who fits that category far more than Baker and he actually plays matches.

Had we not signed Baker, other teams might have taken a chance on pay as you play deal. Imagine to furore if Mansfield or Notts County had signed him on the same terms and he ended up playing against us in the league or the playoffs. For me, a good enough reason to sign him, especially when it's cost us nowt.

Astute

Scotland?

He was a better player for us than many would admit. Lots of our supporters love to have someone to berate. And he was the target of many.

What is the harm if he isn't taking a wage? Yes he isn't fit. But could he be fit before the end of the playoffs? Even just to play 20 to 30 minutes per game. At 80% fit he would be better than we have now. And if he doesn't get fit in time it will have cost us nothing.

Otis

Just wondering if I have been too dismissive of the Carl Baker situation.

To me it has all seemed too little too late, but as Clive Eakin quite rightly pointed out last night on the radio, if we were to to make the playoffs then there could be as many as 7 games left and that could prove quite relevant.

Really think he is not going to be ready until Cheltenham at the very, very earliest, but he could maybe be ready enough to be on the bench for the playoff games and the right side of midfield has proved problematic for us every since Jodi Jones and Andrei's injuries.

stupot07

Just wondering if I have been too dismissive of the Carl Baker situation.

To me it has all seemed too little too late, but as Clive Eakin quite rightly pointed out last night on the radio, if we were to to make the playoffs then there could be as many as 7 games left and that could prove quite relevant.

Really think he is not going to be ready until Cheltenham at the very, very earliest, but he could maybe be ready enough to be on the bench for the playoff games and the right side of midfield has proved problematic for us every since Jodi Jones and Andrei's injuries.

No, he needs sacking off. There's a max of 6 games left, for me he would need to play at least 2 u23 games before he should be considered on the bench and he's not even training with the squad as he's still struggling with an injury. We've seen with Hunt, Henderson, Yakubu, etc and even Joe Cole it doesnt matter how good you were, at 34+ if you've been out a long time, without games, its too hard to come back and hit the ground running. Even Cole excepted this and needed 6-8 weeks out the side to concentrate on getting fit. Its too little to late for me, despite how problematic the right wing is.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Skyblueweeman

Had we not signed Baker, other teams might have taken a chance on pay as you play deal. Imagine to furore if Mansfield or Notts County had signed him on the same terms and he ended up playing against us in the league or the playoffs. For me, a good enough reason to sign him, especially when it's cost us nowt.

But if he’s not fit so he wouldn’t be playing for them either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grendel

There would have been an outcry from the deranged disciples who feed off his social media baloney. Not that any other club would have given him the time of day.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

I don't really give a shit about this situation or the negativiy to be honest.

I like him a lot, but if he doesn't play we lose nothing. If he plays, and plays well everyone (OK nearly everyone) will be happy.

Just relax and try to enjoy the rest of the season.

Otis

I don't really give a shit about this situation or the negativiy to be honest.

I like him a lot, but if he doesn't play we lose nothing. If he plays, and plays well everyone (OK nearly everyone) will be happy.

Just relax and try to enjoy the rest of the season.
Wouldn't even give him a second thought if it wasn't for that pesky right side of midfield dilemma.

No-one has claimed that role all season apart from Jones.

Orca

Where has it been reported that he’s on a pay as you play because I first read it on here and it seems like one of those things that’s been repeated enough it’s become fact.

It's not been reported. I asked him and he told me.

Users who are viewing this thread