A Royal Baby (2 Viewers)

olderskyblue

Not sure if this has been said already, but anyone who knows his shows, he has a long running theme of monkeys dressed as people. He has put loads of pictures online for years.

Ok it was a daft thing in the context of the news but jesus people saying he is racist, i just don't see him as that kind of person.

I think most are suggesting that in this case, it would be widely perceived as racist. He should have know better.

Nick

Administrator
Ever called a little kid a monkey, cheeky monkey, whatever? But you wouldn’t to a kid who wasn’t white? In that case the racism is all in your mind. I’ve called a mixed race little boy a cheeky monkey. How did the parents react? Just fine, because they’re not sensitive little daisies, they knew there was nothing in it.
I've got a feeling the point is going way over your head.

Brighton Sky Blue

Your friends on the left will love this opinion , you don’t strike me as somebody who hates our traditions.

Don’t mind the royal family myself , good for the country , corbyn agrees with you though

Thankfully the majority in Britain still support it

Easiest existence on the planet and you receive praise for doing quite honestly anything. Crash a car and the press will try to blame the other one involved. Wave at the public and be called a hero. Eat a banquet and it's called work.

The majority in Britain are indifferent. Some are republicans, a few more are monarchists. When you are fed nothing but pro monarchy coverage from day one it's a pretty poor showing

Reactions: vow

Grendel

SkyblueBazza

It is just words...& interpretation.

If a black person called Prince Harry an ape...or orangutan everyone would probably just let it go. Some ginger haired people might take offence. Harry would probably piss himself laughing (likely at their ignorance)

My parents used to call me & my best mate 'cheeky monkeys'. Kenny was (& still is!) black. He has never taken offence & gave/gives as good as he gets at every turn. My parents would never have referred to a stranger as monkey whatever the colour of their skin. It is generally a case of how provocative you intend to be.

I guess it is that adage...offence can only be taken not given. So ultimately Baker has proven himself to be the complete arse I always took him for.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Great Eastern

I don't think his next series of one-man shows on his nationwide tour are going to be as well attended as previously!
I'd say he'll sell more tickets now.
I work at the Norwich Playhouse as a steward. Earlier this year, we had Sean Walsh doing 2 sell out nights whereas, his previous visit was a half empty single night. Thus being a twat with his dancing partner on Strictly, did him no financial harm at all. Ok, it cost him his relationship but I'm sure he'll find somebody else. In Danny Bakers case, he'll sell more seats but probably to extreme right wing idiots who will now see him as the new Messiah.

dutchman

The majority in Britain are indifferent. Some are republicans, a few more are monarchists. When you are fed nothing but pro monarchy coverage from day one it's a pretty poor showing

I kid you not, my American friends think everyone in Britain spends their entire lives concerned with what the royals are doing and are baffled by my complete indifference to the subject.

Reactions: vow

Otis

Inclined to agree with this...

If he was genuinely racist, why after a media career spanning well over 30 years would he tweet something not just passively racist but the crassest form of it, i.e: comparing someone black/of mixed race to an ape? It's not like the type of racism perpetuated by your Trumps, Johnsons and Farages of this world nor the concealed Ron Atkinson type (caught off air engaging in deep rooted stereotypes).

He can't complain at being sacked, but am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt that it was just a shite joke that was bound to fly way over the heads of all exposed to it, not least due to the glaring racial implications he overlooked.
Yep. To me just a shit joke and no way intended to be racist.

But it obviously has been perceived as that.

I don't think he should have been sacked.
I have heard others say they saw the tweet and read it in the exact same way that Danny Baker said he intended it to come across.

It was just ill-thought I think, with no intent to be racist.

I agree that he has been thrown under the bus here.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Baker makes no secret of the utter contempt in which he holds BBC management and the new generation of programmers, etc. I suspect they were only too happy to see him make such a catastrophic cock-up, and there would have been plenty of volunteer bus drivers!
For someone who prides himself on his recollection of trivia, his pathetic attempt at making the excuse that he didn't know the Duchess is mixed race made it seem a lot worse.
Need to find something else to listen to on my Saturday mornings.

Otis

Ummm...well, I didn't know.

But then I have zero interest in the royals.

I used to listen to Danny Baker every Saturday morning too.

Grendel

Otis

Come on.....
I didn't.

I never follow any royal story. I have no idea of any of the kids' names either.

If ever a royal story comes on the news I stop watching and always avoid all the front page royal headlines. All I know is it is Charles and Camilla, William and Kate and Harry and Megan.

Nowt past that.

Brighton Sky Blue

I kid you not, my American friends think everyone in Britain spends their entire lives concerned with what the royals are doing and are baffled by my complete indifference to the subject.

The new sprog came ahead of the news that we are losing countless of species due to climate change. Great priorities

Grendel

Your friends on the left will love this opinion , you don’t strike me as somebody who hates our traditions.

Don’t mind the royal family myself , good for the country , corbyn agrees with you though

Thankfully the majority in Britain still support it

The majority do I agree. I have friends from Europe who’ve moved here and enjoy the royal family and its mystique.

It would be virtually impossible to dispose of them entirely. As a paid employee of the state the Queen actually does do her job admirably and is a better alternative than President Blair or Cameron. They’d still be wandering around the palace like the pitiful Macron.

After her though there are no alternatives. Charles is an absurd fool. He tries to claim ecological values yet would fly in his private jet anywhere then take an alternate form of transport. He now seems to be defended some pervert in the COE.

The others are shameless publicity seekers when they want publicity and then get sniffy and want privacy when it suits.

The income streams - Cornwall and Lancaster need surrendering and the whole of the family streamlined to a Scandinavian model. The vast array of properties need to be surrendered and the public list scrapped.

That is modernism in the Royal family - not some sponger calling a child Archie

Brighton Sky Blue

The majority do I agree. I have friends from Europe who’ve moved here and enjoy the royal family and its mystique.

It would be virtually impossible to dispose of them entirely. As a paid employee of the state the Queen actually does do her job admirably and is a better alternative than President Blair or Cameron. They’d still be wandering around the palace like the pitiful Macron.

After her though there are no alternatives. Charles is an absurd fool. He tries to claim ecological values yet would fly in his private jet anywhere then take an alternate form of transport. He now seems to be defended some pervert in the COE.

The others are shameless publicity seekers when they want publicity and then get sniffy and want privacy when it suits.

The income streams - Cornwall and Lancaster need surrendering and the whole of the family streamlined to a Scandinavian model. The vast array of properties need to be surrendered and the public list scrapped.

Anyone can eat banquets every day

Sick Boy

I’d like to see them abolished, personally but that’s a fair compromise between the two.

fellatio_Martinez

You just told us Farage is the man and you would gladly vote for him ( via his Führerprinzip led party). Farage is the ultimate right Wing flag waver.

Ultimate?

That's a bit hyperbolic. When he reveals his swastika tattoos on Question Time I might believe you.

Users who are viewing this thread