A Royal Baby (2 Viewers)

Liquid Gold

He fucked up with a shitty racist tweet. Intention or not he was racist so deserves the sack. He’s made a proper apology now so a line should be drawn under it. Have some time out of the public eye and rebuild his career elsewhere in a few years.

dutchman

By sacking him they've just drawn attention to the fact that Merkle is so-called "mixed-race", something I was blissfully unware of until the mainstream media pointed it out to me. Prior to that I neither knew nor cared.

OffenhamSkyBlue

I was an avid watcher of the first few series of "Suits" on Netflix, where she first came to prominence (not via her "humanitarian" campaigning), and i had NO CLUE that she was mixed race, let alone identified as black. I had to check that it was the same Meghan Markle. I think if someone saw a photo of her for the first time, they could be forgiven for not knowing she was of African-American heritage.

Incidentally, this is not an attempt to excuse what Baker did, because in his line of work, he should have made it his duty to find out.

SkyblueBazza

People are just horrible bastards these days. They smell blood and want to end people or 'cancel' as the kids call it. It's mostly disguised as social justice or some kind of crusade for political correctness but at it's heart in cases like this it's just hateful.

Whatever happened to forgiveness? I know I sound like a soft Christian old lady saying that but it's something I see more and more by the day.
And it probably feeds far right groups with a cause to generate sympathy for their own agenda.

Imo he did something stupid whether or not he or his behaviour was deliberately racist. So he lost his job over it & will probably resurface on a tidy salary with a local radio station or doing voiceovers.

It is what may now be the subsequent social & jounalistic witch hunt & ruination of him that risks gaining either the racists' agenda some quiet sympathy & creating division.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Grendel

Latest European polls show that with no policy positions and a sole lying charlatan they will win handsomely and are even making traction in general election polling. And yet we are supposed to believe that the general public isn't full of morons

Ha ha classic - people arent voting the way I want them to so they are all thick and morons

fellatio_Martinez

So what was it then? What was his intention?
I'm a Danny Baker fan so would love it to be explained, me proved wrong and the world put back to where it was a few days ago.

I'm not a Danny Baker fan but I know that he's a very liberal person with zero reputation for racism. He often tweets pictures of chimps dressed as humans too. He thought the royal baby situation was like a circus and the baby was something they were going to parade around like the chimp in the picture.

What's the alternative? That he thinks mixed race children are chimps and thought he'd tell the world about it? That's absurd when you think about it.

He just didn't think. Composing and sending a tweet takes seconds but it stays on the Internet forever.

clint van damme

Both scenarios are absurd to be honest.

And although I don't think he is racist I think the tweet was. Maybe he thought he'd just push the envelope, I don't think you can ever underestimate the ego/hubris/arrogance of a lot of celebrities.

And let's be honest, who would have thought the man who did more to introduce black players in to English football would one day get caught casually throwing the N word around.

fellatio_Martinez

And although I don't think he is racist I think the tweet was. Maybe he thought he'd just push the envelope, I don't think you can ever underestimate the ego/hubris/arrogance of a lot of celebrities.

And let's be honest, who would have thought the man who did more to introduce black players in to English football would one day get caught casually throwing the N word around.

Is Danny Baker known for being provocative though? If Piers Morgan or Alan Sugar had tweeted it I'd be far more inclined to think there was malice behind it.

Big Ron also didn't know he was live. Baker knowingly tweeted it to the world.

I don't suppose we'll ever know the full truth.

Exit Stage Left

I'm not a Danny Baker fan but I know that he's a very liberal person with zero reputation for racism. He often tweets pictures of chimps dressed as humans too. He thought the royal baby situation was like a circus and the baby was something they were going to parade around like the chimp in the picture.

What's the alternative? That he thinks mixed race children are chimps and thought he'd tell the world about it? That's absurd when you think about it.

He just didn't think. Composing and sending a tweet takes seconds but it stays on the Internet forever.

I agree that in all the years I have listened to Danny Baker, I have never heard anything to suggest he is racist. However it was stupid thing to do and even if it wasn't meant to be racist, I still don't get why a chimp dressed in a suit and top hat is meant to be funny. Haven't we moved on from those PG Tips TV days?

However let's not forget Prince Harry was also caught on video calling a Asian soldier a "p**i" and photographed dressed as a nazi a few years ago. I'm not sure he has ever apologised for this, yet when Danny Baker does something similar there is a lynch mob after him. It's the same with Alan Sugar and his racist tweets. There seems to be a lot of double standards going on in this story.

martcov

Ha ha classic - people arent voting the way I want them to so they are all thick and morons

Well, voting for a charlatan who wants to privatize health care, legalize hand guns, ban people with HIV coming to the UK, and denying human effects on climate change, claiming that doing something about it by fiscal measures will cost thousands of jobs in manufacturing, and the charlatan refuses to put these aims in his manifesto until after he has your vote does make people voting for him and bigging him up look pretty stupid.

Tice says that Brexit will create hundreds of thousands of new jobs making everyone richer. Farage says that we may be poorer, but Brexit isn’t about economics. Rees Mogg says in 50 years we will be doing great. His Brexit Party sister say we should believe in our great nation. The leavers‘ favourite economist says that Brexit will probably run down manufacturing and farming as the coal and steel industry were run down in the past.

Who is telling the truth? Tice? Farage? Rees Mogg? M/s Rees Mogg or Patrick Minford? One, or more than one of them is lying. Only an idiot would take a punt on the Brexit Party being able to run the country.

fellatio_Martinez

I agree that in all the years I have listened to Danny Baker, I have never heard anything to suggest he is racist. However it was stupid thing to do and even if it wasn't meant to be racist, I still don't get why a chimp dressed in a suit and top hat is meant to be funny. Haven't we moved on from those PG Tips TV days?

However let's not forget Prince Harry was also caught on video calling a Asian soldier a "p**i" and photographed dressed as a nazi a few years ago. I'm not sure he has ever apologised for this, yet when Danny Baker does something similar there is a lynch mob after him. It's the same with Alan Sugar and his racist tweets. There seems to be a lot of double standards going on in this story.

I'm not sure he was even trying to be funny. I think it was an attempt at social commentary that went wrong.

The double standards point is very true. Baker was extra fucked because he mocked The Royals who are somehow still held in high regard.

clint van damme

I'm not sure he was even trying to be funny. I think it was an attempt at social commentary that went wrong.

The double standards point is very true. Baker was extra fucked because he mocked The Royals who are somehow still held in high regard.

Totally agree about the double standards.

I remember Baker falling out with the BBC bigwigs before but I can't remember what it was over.

Brighton Sky Blue

Voting for a party, which has no policies, solely because of one man is pretty moronic

As is voting Brexit because of immigration when all the facts show that leaving won't do anything we couldn't do already

Voting Tory then acting surprised when public services disappear

Continuing to believe that Labour crashed the economy even after Osborne admitted he made it up

Voting for David Cameron after his PR man calls you scum

I could go on. Or just take a walk through Cov on a busy day

Brighton Sky Blue

There's a very awkward video of Jimmy Greaves referring to a problem as the 'n*****r in the woodpile' when sat next to Garth Crooks

Grendel

Well, voting for a charlatan who wants to privatize health care, legalize hand guns, ban people with HIV coming to the UK, and denying human effects on climate change, claiming that doing something about it by fiscal measures will cost thousands of jobs in manufacturing, and the charlatan refuses to put these aims in his manifesto until after he has your vote does make people voting for him and bigging him up look pretty stupid.

Tice says that Brexit will create hundreds of thousands of new jobs making everyone richer. Farage says that we may be poorer, but Brexit isn’t about economics. Rees Mogg says in 50 years we will be doing great. His Brexit Party sister say we should believe in our great nation. The leavers‘ favourite economist says that Brexit will probably run down manufacturing and farming as the coal and steel industry were run down in the past.

Who is telling the truth? Tice? Farage? Rees Mogg? M/s Rees Mogg or Patrick Minford? One, or more than one of them is lying. Only an idiot would take a punt on the Brexit Party being able to run the country.

You sound rather worried - why? According to you the brexit lie is exposed and cable and that ridiculous green duo will destroy him at the ballot box in a couple of weeks.

Grendel

Voting for a party, which has no policies, solely because of one man is pretty moronic

As is voting Brexit because of immigration when all the facts show that leaving won't do anything we couldn't do already

Voting Tory then acting surprised when public services disappear

Continuing to believe that Labour crashed the economy even after Osborne admitted he made it up

Voting for David Cameron after his PR man calls you scum

I could go on. Or just take a walk through Cov on a busy day

That chip is growing on your shoulder by the day

Brighton Sky Blue

Well let’s start - name one labour government that has increased employment during office

What difference does being employed make if it doesn't earn you enough to live off and it doesn't provide a reliable income? More to the point, the start and end points don't show the general trend of a decrease during the Blair government which was spiked by the global recession at the end. You ignore that from 1979-1997 unemployment rose as a consequence of Thatcher's taking a knife to industry. It went above 10% under her and again under Major.

Even this unemployment data also doesn't factor in those who are not actively seeking work.

Grendel

What difference does being employed make if it doesn't earn you enough to live off and it doesn't provide a reliable income? More to the point, the start and end points don't show the general trend of a decrease during the Blair government which was spiked by the global recession at the end. You ignore that from 1979-1997 unemployment rose as a consequence of Thatcher's taking a knife to industry. It went above 10% under her and again under Major.

Even this unemployment data also doesn't factor in those who are not actively seeking work.

There is no evidence whatsoever that the lower classes have ever benefited from a labour government - the famous North South divide has never narrowed, employment has never improved and inflation rates certainly haven’t

Ironically it’s you that has bought into the myth - namely that the conservative governments have to use the cliche practiced austerity when in actual fact they have continued to waste more taxpayers money on the bloated welfare state. It’s a con - on the end they are just as weak and liberal as their labour cronies

Brighton Sky Blue

There is no evidence whatsoever that the lower classes have ever benefited from a labour government - the famous North South divide has never narrowed, employment has never improved and inflation rates certainly haven’t

Ironically it’s you that has bought into the myth - namely that the conservative governments have to use the cliche practiced austerity when in actual fact they have continued to waste more taxpayers money on the bloated welfare state. It’s a con - on the end they are just as weak and liberal as their labour cronies

So many lies in so few words

Grendel

So many lies in so few words

So little comeback but hey if someone from a working class background votes Tory you can call them a thick moron from your private school ivory tower if that makes you feel better.

Exit Stage Left

Totally agree about the double standards.

I remember Baker falling out with the BBC bigwigs before but I can't remember what it was over.

Yeah, he was sacked before by the BBC in 1997 when he was doing the 606 phone-in. According to his Wikipedia age he was accused of inciting violence to a certain match official who he didn't agree with.

Exit Stage Left

There's a very awkward video of Jimmy Greaves referring to a problem as the 'n*****r in the woodpile' when sat next to Garth Crooks

Ah yes, I have seen this clip on YouTube. To be fair it's Geoff Hurst and NOT Jimmy Greaves who says "n*****r", but it is truly shocking how nobody in the TV studio bats an eyelid when he drops the N word. It was during Italia 90 when he was on ITV and nobody complained. A few years later Ron Atkinson drops the N word during a Chelsea game on ITV and he never worked again. I bet Big Ron wished he scored a hat-trick in a World Cup final!!!!!

dutchman

Ah yes, I have seen this clip on YouTube. To be fair it's Geoff Hurst and NOT Jimmy Greaves who says "n*****r", but it is truly shocking how nobody in the TV studio bats an eyelid when he drops the N word. It was during Italia 90 when he was on ITV and nobody complained. A few years later Ron Atkinson drops the N word during a Chelsea game on ITV and he never worked again. I bet Big Ron wished he scored a hat-trick in a World Cup final!!!!!
There's a bit of diference in context.

Jimmy Greaves using a common English language expression and Ron Atkinson saying of a French defender "He's what is known in some schools as a fucking lazy thick nigger."

SkyblueBazza

Yeah, he was sacked before by the BBC in 1997 when he was doing the 606 phone-in. According to his Wikipedia age he was accused of inciting violence to a certain match official who he didn't agree with.
You mean like many do up & down the country? Even 'he wants shooting' could be an irresponsible thing to say these days in some people's mind, but over many generations it has been a simple term of phrase about someone who you feel has made a bad mistake in the context of what they do

SkyblueBazza

Jimmy Greaves using a common English language expression and Ron Atkinson saying of a French defender "He's what is known in some schools as a fucking lazy thick nigger."
It could be dangerous territory really, despite context. It is one of those things deep underwater which form part of the iceberg.
Like it is ok for blacks to refer to each other as Atkinson did...but not for any other skin colour to do so. That can be used by some to suggest it has become a privilege exlusively for black people & MPs under the Paliamentary Privilege thing. Privilege breeds discontent...extremists feed off discontent.
What society needs is to educate as early as possible, & more thoroughly about respecting equally all others regardless of skin, race, religion, wealth or viewpoint.
Listen & counter, at some fairly early point agree or agree to differ- then let each other get on with their lives.

fellatio_Martinez

How did that come to pass exactly? My memory is that Big Ron was only caught out because ITV were broadcasting the match overseas and when they went to the ads on British TV the foreign broadcast stayed live, Big Ron was still miked up and said the infamous words.

OffenhamSkyBlue

No, not at all. And i don't think you meant that - re-reading your post makes me think we were bloody lucky that he WAS caught out. Am i right?

martcov

You sound rather worried - why? According to you the brexit lie is exposed and cable and that ridiculous green duo will destroy him at the ballot box in a couple of weeks.

The Brexit lies are exposed. Some people don’t want to accept it. Farage knows this and is reassuring them. Giving them hope that maybe Brexit is as good as they thought it was.

And they are buying it as people in a ship wreck cling to life boats.

Yes, I am worried that the right wing populist tactics are working again. I thought the nationalist rhetoric and the „we are the victims story“ was history. I was wrong.

I hope that the remain parties get their act together. We don’t need a leader. Especially an old school right wing leader.

Exit Stage Left

You mean like many do up & down the country? Even 'he wants shooting' could be an irresponsible thing to say these days in some people's mind, but over many generations it has been a simple term of phrase about someone who you feel has made a bad mistake in the context of what they do

It was something like "I'm sorry, but that referee needs a slap"...agreed, it doesn't seem that bad when you consider Danny Baker is trying to be a fan's fan rather then a robotic plastic broadcaster like Mark Pougatch.

Users who are viewing this thread