Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs West Bromwich Albion Match Thread - Saturday 10th Sep (1 Viewer)

wingy

If other sport's are on it's just not cricket.
It's two hours on an alleged leisure day.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's not really about lack of respect.

It's once again the government failing to read the room. People and businesses are suffering due to inflation, prices hikes in fuel, gas and electric, yet they seem to think it's OK to effectively guilt trip sporting bodies and clubs into postponing fixtures for some show of fallacious show of solidarity and nationwide mourning. The aforementioned will have lost income, or at the very best have had income deferred for this week when many are living hand to mouth. It's utterly thoughtless.

It's of course sad that she's passed, but the whole concept outdated, draconian and completely unnecessary. The nation is mourning the death of the Queen in their own way. They don't need forcing and they certainly don't need to forfeit vital income as some sort of show of homage.
Then surely you must think not shutting the country down completely is disrespectful?
It’s not disrespectful to think the game should be on and there’s nothing respectful about cancelling it, and nobody owes anyone in the monarchy respect anyway. It’s not like anyone is being actively hostile towards them.

I'm not getting into an argument about this, and I'm certainly not saying the decision is the right one or not, I think it's actually a pretty difficult one either way. My point is more about the event itself and how some people are behaving. Some of those desperate to poke fun at those who are upset/pretending to be upset are just as bad by prattling on over and over with the same song. I know it isn't for everybody but it's getting as tiresome as the wall-to-wall coverage itself. Just have a bit more respect.

Nick

Administrator
I'm not getting into an argument about this, and I'm certainly not saying the decision is the right one or not, I think it's actually a pretty difficult one either way. My point is more about the event itself and how some people are behaving. Some of those desperate to poke fun at those who are upset/pretending to be upset are just as bad by prattling on over and over with the same song. I know it isn't for everybody but it's getting as tiresome as the wall-to-wall coverage itself. Just have a bit more respect.

Why is it difficult either way? Why is it difficult to go ahead and play them? How is it disrespectful?

Sky Blue Harry H

My two elderly neighbours were outside when i went to walk the dog, deep in conversation. They spotted me and \i thought 'here we go - a big conversation about Her Majesty ...........None of it - 'Is your TV working ok?' I got asked 'as our signal has gone'. Second question was ' Were trying to work out if the shops will be open, as it's 10 days mourning?' My dog had had enough by then and dragged me away!

Matt smith

It looks like I might be going against the grain on this one, but I'm not surprised at all that the games have been called off. Whether it is right or not is another question but some of the posts on here are as bad as the people pretending to be outraged and upset on the other end of the scale.

People should have a little more respect.
Rugby union is on

theferret

Disappointing that some are suggesting it is faux outrage.

I am genuinely angry at the call they have made - the government literally gave them an open goal to push ahead with fixtures this weekend but they didn't take it. Looks like other sports have.

I'm patriotic, not at all anti-monarchy and genuinely sad at her death. No political agenda whatsoever, but this is totally about a display of virtue, because it achieves nothing and benefits nobody.

Been struggling with mental health recently and this has been a particularly bad week, but I've been clinging on to the fact there is a matchday at the end of it, so I've been focusing on that and then it gets taken away. Three weeks to the next home game too 😞

Paxman II

Many on here underestimate the size of this on a global scale. While I have fallen out with the Monarchy over the last couple of decades due largely in part to the shenanegans of the family as a whole, never the less this lady has been steadfast over 70 years. The role is perhaps weakened now, and has less influenece than ever. Regardless respect for the Queen will run deep around the world, and being seen as a country marking our respects in the immediate days is the right thing to do. I'm sure when the midweek fixtures come around everyone will get the opportunity to sing the national anthem and players will wear black armbands etc.

From a CCFC point of view, the whole debacle for us gets worse by the day. The one glimmer of good news is Calum O'Hare should be back very soon as he recovers more and so too Kane. When the injured are back at least they get to play the fixtures they would have missed and we will play those games with a stronger side. The players will need to ignore the table and get their heads down for the ride, win some games, and climb the table to where we should be. We simply must get a result at Luton and Birmingham or the season could end up being a catchup situation, all by no fault of our own for the most part. Perhaps the players will suprise us, and and take out their frustration on the teams we meet next week.

SBT

Think there are some people on here who are one bad EFL statement away from turning up at the CBS misty-eyed with a £5 bouquet of lilies from the big Tesco, such emotion!

napolimp

Do you understand the concept of respect? No ones suggesting we take a s**t in her casket.

SBT

I completely agree with this. It's an opportunity to show respect. Make it an event, pack grounds out. Sing the national anthem, have a minutes silence. Not going to be the same doing it midweek.

The only thing more cringe than calling the game off is playing the game and turning it into some kind of Royal Jubilee cosplay in the stands. No thanks.

Nick

Administrator
The only thing more cringe than calling the game off is playing the game and turning it into some kind of Royal Jubilee cosplay in the stands. No thanks.

Good job I cancelled my costume order.

SBT

To be honest, when football fans are routinely doing minute’s silences/minute’s applauses/co-ordinated songs on [x] minute/black armbands/memorial kits every other week for all kinds of causes then you’ve kind of left yourself with nowhere else to go when the actual monarch goes and dies. As a country that’s somehow decided that football is the best vehicle for public grief and tributes, we kind of painted ourselves into a corner with this one.

alexccfc99

My mate does all the street food at Dhillons on a Match Day

Thousands wasted on ingredients and supplies for tomorrow and the Rotherham game to be knocked on the head at the eleventh hour - I’m gutted for him

theferret

Thousands wasted on ingredients and supplies for tomorrow and the Rotherham game to be knocked on the head at the eleventh hour - I’m gutted for him

Feel for him, hope he gets through it.

I believe Dhillons themselves had to give away a load of beer a few weeks ago too.

Nick

Administrator

Are they still opening / doing it?

alexccfc99

Are they still opening / doing it?

They treated the airing of the Sunderland game on Sky as a ‘dress rehearsal’ - Turned up for the day the Rotherham game was meant to be played to see if many would turn up for a Sunday Session despite the game being off and didn’t prove to be worth their time in the end

Not bothering tomorrow, will be back for Boro on 1st Oct

MalcSB

Horse racing - the “sport of kings” - on on Sunday. Football - the sport of the peasants - off all weekend.

alexccfc99

Feel for him, hope he gets through it.

I believe Dhillons themselves had to give away a load of beer a few weeks ago too.

Luckily they make enough from their base down at The Arches and on JustEat to get by - However, I won’t delve into it but the figure he told me they’d lost on the football being off was eye watering

It’s a massive shame because the only chance they’ve had to do it properly this season (PNE) was a massive success

Users who are viewing this thread