Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs West Bromwich Albion Match Thread - Saturday 10th Sep (1 Viewer)

David O'Day

Nick pal, with respect. You are not being asked to not go to work, you are being asked to miss a football match.
F*** I would not even call myself a royalist, but for this lady I will gladly miss a football match.
we are being asked to go to work though

Nick

Administrator
Nick pal, with respect. You are not being asked to not go to work, you are being asked to miss a football match.
F*** I would not even call myself a royalist, but for this lady I will gladly miss a football match.

That's the point I am making.

What difference is them going ahead with a minutes silence going to make? It's pretentious bullshit.

How long should we put our lives on hold to "show respect"? (By this I obviously mean still going to work, paying tax, paying energy companies)

theferret

I doubt it.

Barely come across anyone who agrees with it.

Cricket, Rugby (Queen was closer to both of those sports than she was football), even the Great North Run and Elite League ice hockey - all going ahead.

But then again, the suits at the PL and EFL have always had their finger on the pulse of the nation so I guess you must be right.

djr8369

Well im not a pretentious prick and no do gooder but I ve no problem with the game being postponed out of respect to the Monarchy.
I think that you vastly under estimate the millions of people not only in the UK but world wide who will be in mourning.
pusb
There’s nothing respectful about it.

LastGarrison

It really should have been one generic decision. Either all sports off or all sports on. Are we saying that rugby and ice hockey, horse racing etc. are actually being disrespectful by going ahead then?

Stupidity.

djr8369

It works in my favour as I couldn’t make the game tomorrow but it’s a farce really.

Inconveniences thousands, losses of revenue, and utterly meaningless as everything else carries on as normal.

Some irony in the fact that football is considered the sport of the working class and the proletariat. If we’re not being sent off to die in their fucking wars they’re cancelling one of our few sources of joy.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It looks like I might be going against the grain on this one, but I'm not surprised at all that the games have been called off. Whether it is right or not is another question but some of the posts on here are as bad as the people pretending to be outraged and upset on the other end of the scale.

People should have a little more respect.

David O'Day

It looks like I might be going against the grain on this one, but I'm not surprised at all that the games have been called off. Whether it is right or not is another question but some of the posts on here are as bad as the people pretending to be outraged and upset on the other end of the scale.

nonsense as per usual

KenilworthSkyBlue

It's not really about lack of respect.

It's once again the government failing to read the room. People and businesses are suffering due to inflation, prices hikes in fuel, gas and electric, yet they seem to think it's OK to effectively guilt trip sporting bodies and clubs into postponing fixtures for some show of fallacious show of solidarity and nationwide mourning. The aforementioned will have lost income, or at the very best have had income deferred for this week when many are living hand to mouth. It's utterly thoughtless.

It's of course sad that she's passed, but the whole concept outdated, draconian and completely unnecessary. The nation is mourning the death of the Queen in their own way. They don't need forcing and they certainly don't need to forfeit vital income as some sort of show of homage.

djr8369

It’s not disrespectful to think the game should be on and there’s nothing respectful about cancelling it, and nobody owes anyone in the monarchy respect anyway. It’s not like anyone is being actively hostile towards them.

Tommo1993

On Farcebook and Twatter it looks like mourning the Queen is unacceptable but having a cry because there’s no football this weekend is fair game. Are people really that surprised that the orthadox is being followed? Wouldn’t have complained either way, but it’s another faux reaction.

Sick Boy

Then surely you must think not shutting the country down completely is disrespectful?

jordan210

BBC have stopped Live text updates on sports. Yet have 24 hour rolling news on the passing.

It makes no sense

Grendel

The prospect of

Then surely you must think not shutting the country down completely is disrespectful?

I hardly think we would close hospitals

Grendel

It's not their decision, I haven't said that, but I'd be astounded if they didn't strongly recommend to the governing bodies that fixtures should be postponed.

Rugby is carrying on I think

clint van damme

I wouldn't gladly miss a match for my missus

wingy

i suspect an extra bank holiday next june for a coronation, in line with the jubilee one this year
I don't understand why we should wait.
The weather is not particularly inclement this time of year and he's getting on himself you know.

Brighton Sky Blue

Pretty frustrating as presumably this will become another midweek fixture on top of the other 2 that we again can’t go to. And the nation will stop to collectively pay its respect if people wish on the day of the funeral.

It just seems a pity to take away something people look forward to at a time when let’s be honest things already aren’t great.

Users who are viewing this thread