Match Thread ⚽️ Carabao Cup: Coventry City vs Bristol City Match Thread - Wednesday 10th Aug (1 Viewer)

Hobo

What message does that send to this year’s loanees? In any case he’s obviously just pissed off with the general situation

This is real competitive football. This is your chance to progress. You have to do better. Coming from a Prem Club isnt enough.

Anyway he didn't hang them out to dry. He admits they are young and inexperienced.

I think a a fair few fans have had unrealistic expectations around certain players popped (some loan some not).

I am not saying anybody isnt good enough. Just they need more time to find their feet and a bad performance or two doesn't make them useless.

NorthernWisdom

This is true. We wee never real contenders.

Makes all the 'glad we're out' comments all the more bizarre. Yeah, forget a cup run, forget winning football matches, forget the potential for big occasions later in the competition, let's focus on the mid table Championship finish we all know we're heading for.
I've never understood why we ignore the league cup under Robins, but we have every year he's been here.

Londonccfcfan

Dont get all this happy to be out of the cup non sense. Robins for not one minute thought we would lose 4-1. Embarrassing. Fed up with the no shows in this competition.

We just been smashed by a 2nd rate Bristol city team.

Robins should be fuming we lost, as clearly the team he put out isnt no where near good enough.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is real competitive football. This is your chance to progress. You have to do better. Coming from a Prem Club isnt enough.

Anyway he didn't hang them out to dry. He admits they are young and inexperienced.

I think a a fair few fans have had unrealistic expectations around certain players popped (some loan some not).

I am not saying anybody isnt good enough. Just they need more time to find their feet and a bad performance or two doesn't make them useless.

Then they need some first choice players sprinkled in to help. Not like these players had a game at the weekend to be tired from

Hobo

I've never understood why we ignore the league cup under Robins, but we have every year he's been here.

We have a history of League Cup failure long before Robins. Mainly when we were a top flight club.

Hobo

Then they need some first choice players sprinkled in to help. Not like these players had a game at the weekend to be tired from

Wilson, Dabo, Rose, Mcfadzean, Allen, Palmer and Walker have plenty of experience of first team football. There were 4 players who had an excuse re lack of experience. They should have competed better as a team in the first half hour.

Robins will have learnt a lot tonight .

Brighton Sky Blue

Wilson, Dabo, Rose, Mcfadzean, Allen, Palmer and Walker have plenty of experience of first team football. There were 4 players who had an excuse re lack of experience. They should have competed better as a team in the first half hour.

Robins will have learnt a lot tonight .

I mean one of Hamer/Sheaf and one of Gyo/Godden

rexo87

Robins has rhe stitched the fans up tonight. whether you like it or not, that's the case. We'll have our better players without any match action for nearly 2 weeks on Saturday. Even giving them short stints spread out in this game would make sure we've not been completely out played. Fucking frustrating. Burroughs looks good but been isolated.....there's one positive!!
It's 40 degrees on Saturday. Most of our players will be fresh. It's good management

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

rexo87

Seriously worried about Saturday. Senior players going into a game in 37 degree heat seriously under cooked. I can only assume there was a bcd friendly on Monday, because to leave them all out makes no sense.

I'm a big Robins fan, but I thought that team selection was very disrespectful to people who had gone to great efforts just to be there. People sat at home on their arse who are 'not bothered' can fuck off.
They've had a full pre season. Last thing they needed was a game 3 days before a league game in 37 degrees heat

rexo87

Without this competition how are the players on the fringes supposed to push for a start? Training isn't enough. I get that most aren't arsed about the cup but for minutes in some who need it, seems like we do this every season.
So you want the 1st team players to play more so the fringe players can play in the same games you are wanting the 1st team players to play in?

alexccfc99

I say it every year but I don’t know why I bother with these League Cup games every season

MR is completely ambivalent at best towards them, that was shown when we pulled one back yet we still decided to bring Waggy and two kids on

Why bother going to a game the manager isn’t really bothered about winning

SkyBlueSoul

Anyone hear Robins post match interview anywhere?

Synopsis?

Basically we're a young side, especially Doyle and Adaramola. Mistakes were made, it's a steep learning curve, hopefully they learn from them. Fans who went are fucking legends

alexccfc99

On reflection a little bit of comfort was the fact that in my opinion, that was a pretty strong Bristol City side tonight - Weimann their star man who scored more than Viktor last season played a full 90, same back 3 as weekend and they’ve got very high hopes in Massengo - On paper Bristol City probably should have swept our 8 changes and fringe players aside

Pearson probably felt he needed/wanted a win as they lost their first two to Hull and Sunderland so went relatively strong

SkyBlueSoul

All set for tonight. Leaving Manchester around 5 to try and get one of the parking spaces, get to a ground I haven't been to before, then a quick hop to Nottingham to regale my Dad with a tale of either a) how I wasted my time to drive 2 hours and see a bunch of U23s get pumped 4-0 by Bristol City or b) how I wasted my time to drive 2 hours and see a bunch of U23s draw 0-0 and lose on penalties
You're welcome btw, not all that far off

SkyBlueMatt

It's one game, nothing to get carried away over but I'd say Robin's has to shoulder much of the blame.

Too many new / young / inexperienced players, playing together. Eccles had some better moments second half but overall looked out of his depth. Put him in a stronger midfield, alongside Sheaf, Hamer, etc and he will have a better chance to improve.

Doyle had a shocker but considering we effectively had no midfield, a young player had no protection.

On that showing I don't blame any individual player, they were all poor.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Torquay Sky Blue

It's one game, nothing to get carried away over but I'd say Robin's has to shoulder much of the blame.

Too many new / young / inexperienced players, playing together. Eccles had some better moments second half but overall looked out of his depth. Put him in a stronger midfield, alongside Sheaf, Hamer, etc and he will have a better chance to improve.

Doyle had a shocker but considering we effectively had no midfield, a young player had no protection.

On that showing I don't blame any individual player, they were all poor.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
A level headed summary. Had to read that twice. Thanks

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

It's 40 degrees on Saturday. Most of our players will be fresh. It's good management

They've had a full pre season. Last thing they needed was a game 3 days before a league game in 37 degrees heat

You started at 40, then 37. Any advances on 37? In reality the forecast is a maximum of 33.

Stop doing using an incorrect weather report to justify an absolutely woeful performance. It's like Paxman III.

Paul O Donoghue

The 5 unused subs says it all really, Moore, Sheaf, Hamer, Godden and Vik. Caravan Cup is not a priority for a club with Coventry's current situation notwithstanding the pile of shite regarding the CBS Arena's state at the minute. Good management from MR I believe.Millwall on Saturday is much more important.

long way home

Im sure the game was used as a fact finding mission more than anything else, MR would of happily taken the win, but gaining the knowledge in the long run is more important than the one off result. He will certainly now have a better idea of what he has in depth and what individuals players need to do to make an impact to our season.

He will be happy to come away with no injuries and minutes in players legs. He will also know what Doyle and Tayo need to work on to push into 1st team thinking. Burroughs i can see getting on the bench sooner rather than later.

Well, not a good result but MR will take something from it. What all will see is we lack a few ready championship bodies still and MR will need to wheel and deal to get them. Anyways onwards and upwards to the next and just glad we don't have to play an extra game on the pitch that we need fit to play on for the rest of season.

Users who are viewing this thread