Match Thread ⚽️ Carabao Cup: Coventry City vs Bristol City Match Thread - Wednesday 10th Aug (1 Viewer)

PVA

I am agreeing with your general point but not that replacing Hamer with Eccles and Gyokeres with Wagehorn only weakens us a bit. Essentially you underplayed how weakened that team was in my view.

I think you've misunderstood the argument if you think I've underplayed how weak the team was :LOL:

I spent half of yesterday arguing that team was very weak. Grendel said it 'wasn't that weak' which I massively disagreed with.

Grendel

Then you are agreeing with me!

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Grendel seems to be saying taking out Hamer, Gyokeres, Sheaf etc and replacing them with Eccles, Allen and Walker is not massively weakening the side.

Which is some take.

Nope I’m not - you of course have said if hamer left Eccles would slot in and we wouldn’t even need to sign a replacement

Walker is a godden swap not Gyokeres

Allen played in the first game and will play again tomorrow no doubt

Grendel

I think you've misunderstood the argument if you think I've underplayed how weak the team was :LOL:

I spent half of yesterday arguing that team was very weak. Grendel said it 'wasn't that weak' which I massively disagreed with.

If Gyokeres and hamer were not available Saturday outfield players wise any of the players we have at our disposal would be pretty similar to those that started Wednesday whoever they are.

And again the loan players will get game time as that’s why they are here

Didn’t you even say the squad is much better than last season as the bench was stronger?

PVA

Nope I’m not - you of course have said if hamer left Eccles would slot in and we wouldn’t even need to sign a replacement

Walker is a godden swap not Gyokeres

Allen played in the first game and will play again tomorrow no doubt

The fact you keep having to make things up to justify your position says it all.

8 changes makes the team weaker. End of.

Grendel

The fact you keep having to make things up to justify your position says it all.

8 changes makes the team weaker. End of.

If you say so

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

Hertsccfc

Fully understand the argument and am on your side on this. However, I felt you had failed to stress the importance of Hamer, O'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf on the team, so them not being in the side was the real reason it was weak. You implied there is only a major difference between Hamer and Eccles and Gyokeres and Wagehorn.

Rose for Hyam, Adaramola for Bidwell probably makes little difference to the strength of the team. But any replacement of the four best players does. Allen for Sheaf or O'Hare also greatly reduces our quality.

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I think the issue is about how many changes we have to make.

We've already had to bring in O'Hare's back-up, which has weakened us but you'd hope we'd still be able to be competitive if that was the only change we had to make.

The bring problems come with if we have to bring in more of the back-up's, which will have a multiplier effect IMO. Basically think of it like as an OR/AND. If O'Hare or Gyokeres or Hamer are out, it's bad but should be manageable. If O'Hare and Gyokeres and Hamer are out then the effect of that is going to be way more than losing them at separate times.

Some people are arguing that the and scenario is likely to happen, others don't think it will. At this moment O'Hare may be out for a lengthy spell, he may not, there is the distinct possibility one of Hamer or Gyo being sold (probably Gyo) which would be two, and if we keep Hamer it's highly likely he will be missing a couple of games here and there with suspension, which will impact us at that time.

Right now it's impossible to say until the severity of O'Hare's injury is known and the transfer window has closed. Hamer being suspended I'll take as a given.

Grendel

Fully understand the argument and am on your side on this. However, I felt you had failed to stress the importance of Hamer, O'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf on the team, so them not being in the side was the real reason it was weak. You implied there is only a major difference between Hamer and Eccles and Gyokeres and Wagehorn.

Rose for Hyam, Adaramola for Bidwell probably makes little difference to the strength of the team. But any replacement of the four best players does. Allen for Sheaf or O'Hare also greatly reduces our quality.

Palmer also started Wednesday and there’s something wrong if he’s not going to be a first team regular

we will be paying more money if we don’t play Doyle and probably the palace defender as well than if we do do they will be featuring or again it’s very odd signings

Hertsccfc

Palmer also started Wednesday and there’s something wrong if he’s not going to be a first team regular

we will be paying more money if we don’t play Doyle and probably the palace defender as well than if we do do they will be featuring or again it’s very odd signings
I agree with all that. But the big issue is that no Hamer, O'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf means that was a weak team. Take the best four players out of any team and it is considerably weaker.

PVA

I agree with all that. But the big issue is that no Hamer, O'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf means that was a weak team. Take the best four players out of any team and it is considerably weaker.

Exactly.

Then take another 3 first choice players out.

That results in a significantly weakened team.

It's absurd that anyone could suggest otherwise.

Grendel

Exactly.

Then take another 3 first choice players out.

That results in a significantly weakened team.

It's absurd that anyone could suggest otherwise.

No one did you missed my point but fortunately everyone else seems to have got it

• Haha
Reactions: PVA

Grendel

The real as well as I kept asking the question was is the defence that much weaker than the options in our strong team - I don’t think so.

Equally palmer is a big signing and against his old club and seemingly anonymous

Users who are viewing this thread