Match Thread ⚽️ Carabao Cup: Coventry City vs Bristol City Match Thread - Wednesday 10th Aug (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Nah, all 5.

To sit and watch something that clearly wasn't working or going to work was strange.

The fact the only changes made were to test potential first teamers should tell you all you need to know about how much we gave a shite about winning. It’s seen as an extra preseason friendly.

Honestly I’m more worried that none of those in the team took their opportunity to step up and they never seem to.

Nick

Administrator
The fact the only changes made were to test potential first teamers should tell you all you need to know about how much we gave a shite about winning. It’s seen as an extra preseason friendly.

This is my point and why it should just be labelled as that. Get it as the last pre season friendly.

Sadly, it couldn't be predicted that even with a weakened team that we wouldn't give a shit about winning.

shmmeee

This is my point and why it should just be labelled as that. Get it as the last pre season friendly.

Sadly, it couldn't be predicted that even with a weakened team that we wouldn't give a shit about winning.

it really should be the season opener.

Grendel

Isn't even so much that, it is more that it was obvious within the first 5-10 minutes we were going to get hammered and nothing changed. Not even re-positioning (if subs arent allowed so soon).

He just sat and watched the massive hole in the midfield for 90 minutes.

Weaker team isn't so bad, not willing to actually do anything to get a result from a competitive match isn't on. (Especially one where fans have had to put themselves out, although not his fault).

It’s not even that weak is it

The two loans in defence actually are going to be featuring a lot or they will be sent elsewhere. In the rest of the defence they are all first team players

PVA has said Eccles will be a big player for us this season. Allen has had a contract extension and is a first team regular.

Palmer will be highly paid and you’d expect to be playing most weeks

Walker is one of the highest paid at the club.

Many think Tavares needs more starts not less.

usskyblue

I get the result smarts.

But we’re in a position where we have a fair few young lads that are in back-up positions to the regular first team players. So it’s not a matter of choosing to play them, it’s that we really have to play them so they learn and develop should we need them to step-in to cover injuries.

In-game experience against Championship opposition in (what’s deemed to be) a throwaway cup is a chance for them to learn and grow. So you can’t just drag them off in the first 15 minutes if they’re making mistakes or looking off the pace because they’ll learn nothing. You’ve got to make games like this a learning path for these players.

Another caveat of having young loanees is that the parent clubs require them to be played in a certain amount of games.. and this particular cup competition is an easy check mark in that column.

I don’t like the result but we have to understand what MR is trying to do. He’s dealing with a far from perfect situation.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Early doors but reading some of this it looks like Eccles could be an early candidate to be a 'favourite' for the boo boys this season.
I really hope not and I really hope he manages to shake off two poor performances and grows in confidence. At the same time, I don't think someone stating someone has had a poor game (he did in both) necessarily makes them a boo boy. The weird stuff is when people start slating players without having seen the game

PVA

The two loans in defence actually are going to be featuring a lot or they will be sent elsewhere. In the rest of the defence they are all first team players

PVA has said Eccles will be a big player for us this season. Allen has had a contract extension and is a first team regular.

Of course it was a weakened team, there were 8 changes from the weekend.

Saying that Eccles and Tavares etc are decent talents doesn't mean they aren't weaker than Hamer and Gyokeres ffs.

I was going to say I don't know how anyone could argue that wasn't a weakened team but of course you could.

Grendel

Saying that Eccles and Tavares etc are decent talents doesn't mean they aren't weaker than Hamer and Gyokeres ffs.

I was going to say I don't know how anyone could argue that wasn't a weakened team but of course you could.

So you are saying the two loans are not likely to play much? I doubt the parent clubs will be happy with that?

So I assume you think Bidwell is the best LWB - that’s a change of opinion! - Doyle will have to play league games or he’s recalled that’s why he’s here

Palmer was signed as a first team player- he was on a huge contract at Bristol it’s absurd if he’s not going to be playing

Dabo rose and Mcfazdean are first team regulars and Doyle will play. Yet we conceded 3 first half goals

You constantly have said Eccles will be a big player for us this season and is the next big deal. Are you having second thoughts now?

better days

Had a quick look at the team we put out v Northampton last year

Wilson
Da Costa
Reid
Drysdale
Rose
Allen
Enobakhare
Howley
Jones
Shipley
Walker

The bench included Tavares, Pask, Rus and Ngandu
The only time I can remember the latter two featuring in the first team squad

Yesterday's team was stronger
On paper at least

PVA

So you are saying the two loans are not likely to play much? I doubt the parent clubs will be happy with that?

So I assume you think Bidwell is the best LWB - that’s a change of opinion! - Doyle will have to play league games or he’s recalled that’s why he’s here

Palmer was signed as a first team player- he was on a huge contract at Bristol it’s absurd if he’s not going to be playing

Dabo rose and Mcfazdean are first team regulars and Doyle will play. Yet we conceded 3 first half goals

You constantly have said Eccles will be a big player for us this season and is the next big deal. Are you having second thoughts now?

My god you talk some shite.

That team was severely weakened. Only a fucking idiot would say otherwise

Seemingly you are the only person saying it. Go figure.

PVA

Had a quick look at the team we put out v Northampton last year

Wilson
Da Costa
Reid
Drysdale
Rose
Allen
Enobakhare
Howley
Jones
Shipley
Walker

The bench included Tavares, Pask, Rus and Ngandu
The only time I can remember the latter two featuring in the first team squad

Yesterday's team was stronger
On paper at least

Yes because we've improved the squad by moving a lot of those, who are/were clearly not good enough, on to pastures new.

Grendel

Let’s start with the back line - is that severely weakened?

Grendel

Yes because we've improved the squad by moving a lot of those, who are/were clearly not good enough, on to pastures new.

You said Da Costa clearly has ability and talent

usskyblue

I think we’re getting stuck in semantics saying it was a ‘weakened’ team.

It was a team we had to play so the younger loanees get game time and learn. It’s not like we can have them on a steady course. These poor fuckers are on the fast-track because they’re undoubtedly going to be called upon for league matches.

Grendel

You're literally the only person trying to suggest that team was not weak/weaker.

You're so tedious.

So you won’t answer - ok

PVA

So you won’t answer - ok

If you don't think that lineup last night was much weaker than our first choice XI then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but it's a fucking weird take and you won't have anyone agreeing with you.

Not sure what angle you're going for but it's not the win you think it is.

Grendel

I think we’re getting stuck in semantics saying it was a ‘weakened’ team.

It was a team we had to play so the younger loanees get game time and learn. It’s not like we can have them on a steady course. These poor fuckers are on the fast-track because they’re undoubtedly going to be called upon for league matches.

Oggy said most of them will feature a lot this season

Grendel

If you don't think that lineup last night was much weaker than our first choice XI then that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but it's a fucking weird take and you won't have anyone agreeing with you.

Not sure what angle you're going for but it's not the win you think it is.

I wanted to go through each area - so back line that’s easily a first choice potentially - agreed?

Ashdown

If we learn anything from it, please let it be that we have to be totally switched on from the start , tenacious and hungry for the ball. Proper solid passing, I saw too many little flicks and quick taps versus Sunderland when we should be mastering the basics and then progressing to the fancy stuff when we’ve got a game won.

PVA

I wanted to go through each area - so back line that’s easily a first choice potentially - agreed?

Seriously what on earth are you going on about.

You think

Wilson
Rose
Fadz
Doyle

Is a potentially first choice back line?

As I said, you’re welcome to your opinion but you won’t get a single person agree with you on that.

Last edited:

Greggs

Pretty much our first choice back 5? They conceded 4

Greggs

Seriously what on earth are you going on about.

You think

Wilson
Rose
Fadz
Doyle

Is a potentially first choice back line?

As I said, you’re welcome to your opinion but you won’t get a single person agree with you on that.
I agree. That's the basic back 5 last if we have one or two injuries. It's a worry. The keepers are both as bad as each other.

mark82

Early doors but reading some of this it looks like Eccles could be an early candidate to be a 'favourite' for the boo boys this season.

Yeah, it's mad. It's a couple of poor performances after recently coming back from a significant time out with injury.

mark82

The problem is throwing them all in at the same time. There may be a few who are good enough to be contributing but it isn't exactly our strongest side.

Reactions: PVA

Brighton Sky Blue

It's the team that would have to be picked in the event of a few injuries/suspensions per position. Not encouraging but hopefully also not likely to happen.

David O'Day

The team last night was weaker than the current best available XI fit players we have, ergo it is a weakened team

End of story really

Reactions: PVA

Users who are viewing this thread