Match Thread ⚽️ Carabao Cup: Coventry City vs Bristol City Match Thread - Wednesday 10th Aug (1 Viewer)

PVA

Or alternatively 3 or 4 injuries, a suspension here or there, and a few others 'needing a rest' with a fixture pile up.

I'd bet good money we won't put a league team out this season anywhere near as weak as last night's.

Grendel

It's the team that would have to be picked in the event of a few injuries/suspensions per position. Not encouraging but hopefully also not likely to happen.

It’s not even the discussion.

Unfortunately with Mr Binary if you say it’s not that weak a team he thinks it’s the starting x1 and if it isn’t it’s a weak team - so all is ok - it wasn’t the point - these aren’t u23 players they are integral squad players

Most of those players will feature regularly this season - if the two young loanees don’t they won’t be staying

Palmer is going to be a first choice player or he’s a poor signing. Some think Eccles is the next big deal and will feature a lot.

It’s not a comment it’s the first 11. But having said that Walker palmer and Tavares featured in the opening game and Dabo didn’t start so the 8 is also misleading.

Brighton Sky Blue

Calm down, Robins basically said that is nowhere near a first team.

Unfortunately with Mr Binary if you say it’s not that weak a team he thinks it’s the starting x1 and if it isn’t it’s a weak team - so all is ok - it wasn’t the point - these aren’t u23 players they are integral squad players

Most of those players will feature regularly this season - if the two young loanees don’t they won’t be staying

Palmer is going to be a first choice player or he’s a poor signing. Some think Eccles is the next big deal and will feature a lot.

It’s not a comment it’s the first 11. But having said that Walker palmer and Tavares featured in the opening game and Dabo didn’t start so the 8 is also misleading.

My point was in most positions we are one or two injuries or suspensions away from relying on last night's players. That said writing them off quickly would be a mistake.

What interests me is the volume making comments on this game who didn't watch it-the combination of Allen and Eccles would concern anyone who was there. Hamer likes his card collecting and Sheaf could easily get cropped. The effect of being weak in that part of the pitch had consequences for the rest

David O'Day

My point was in most positions we are one or two injuries or suspensions away from relying on last night's players. That said writing them off quickly would be a mistake.

What interests me is the volume making comments on this game who didn't watch it-the combination of Allen and Eccles would concern anyone who was there. Hamer likes his card collecting and Sheaf could easily get cropped. The effect of being weak in that part of the pitch had consequences for the rest

For that team to appear in a league game there will have to be major bad luck on our behalf, it's a weakened team in a league cup game. We'll probable bring a midfielder in on loan.

Grendel

Other than the forward line and the goalkeeper youd expect most of those players to feature heavily this season.

Brighton Sky Blue

For that team to appear in a league game there will have to be major bad luck on our behalf, it's a weakened team in a league cup game. We'll probable bring a midfielder in on loan.

I'm not talking about the entire team repeating itself-the Championship quality depth is just not there in a good number of positions, as it wasn't last season either. Which is the consequence of a lot of the budget being tied up in unwanted players.

Brighton Sky Blue

Other than the forward line and the goalkeeper youd expect most of those players to feature heavily this season.

Well to be honest even the forward line will unless we expect Godden and Gyo to last the whole season unscathed, which in Godden's case is a particular doubt

PVA

You're so fucking obtuse it's ridiculous.

Do you realise there's a difference between featuring regularly and being first choice?

Ask anyone to name their strongest XI and about 3 or 4 max played last night.

If you take 7 or 8 first choice players out of any lineup in the world then it instantly becomes weaker. That is a fact.

I'm not saying Eccles or Allen or Doyle are shit. I'm saying they aren't as good as their first choice equivalents. That is not a difficult concept to grasp (or apparently it is for you).

Grendel

You're so fucking obtuse it's ridiculous.

Do you realise there's a difference between featuring regularly and being first choice?

Ask anyone to name their strongest XI and about 3 or 4 max played last night.

If you take 7 or 8 first choice players out of any lineup in the world then it instantly becomes weaker. That is a fact.

I'm not saying Eccles or Allen or Doyle are shit. I'm saying they aren't as good as their first choice equivalents. That is not a difficult concept to grasp (or apparently it is for you).

Well no as you have stated on the record that Eccles is a real talent and will be starting more games than not

PVA

Well no as you have stated on the record that Eccles is a real talent and will be starting more games than not

I said he'll be needed a lot. That clearly does not mean starting more games than not ffs. You're literally making stuff up to suit your argument.

I don't know how much more I can break down such a simple concept for you.

How about this.

Take out O'Hare of the strongest XI for Palmer, and the team is weakened a bit.

Take out Hamer for Eccles and the team is weakened a bit.

Take out Gyokeres for Waghorn and the team is weakened a bit.

Those things on their own don't weaken the team too much. Those three at the same weakens the team quite significantly. Those three plus 4 other first choice players decimates the strongest XI.

It's so fucking obvious I can't even believe I'm having to explain to anyone.

Grendel

I said he'll be needed a lot. That clearly does not mean starting more games than not ffs. You're literally making stuff up to suit your argument.

How about this.

Those things on their own don't weaken the team too much. Those three at the same weakens the team quite significantly. Those three plus 4 other first choice players decimates the strongest XI.

I can’t believe you think when I said the team itself wasn’t that weak you seemed to think it’s the whole first team or it’s a weak team

Other than Doyle the back 5 could easily be first choice - and Doyle has to play games as well - do you agree?

PVA

I can’t believe you think when I said the team itself wasn’t that weak you seemed to think it’s the whole first team or it’s a weak team

Other than Doyle the back 5 could easily be first choice - and Doyle has to play games as well - do you agree?

Of the 3 or 4 first choice players that played last night, all 3 were in the defence.

As I've said. Repeatedly. 7 or 8 changes to the first choice XI weakens it.

That's a fact.

This is an absurd argument. I've got better things to do. Enjoy the rest of your evening.

robbiethemole

Boddy saying we had to move venue or be expelled from of the competition, so by playing it we still go out but legally. What are the rules about even entering in the first place, is it compulsory cos it’s just another drain on resources at the start of the season?

shmmeee

Boddy saying we had to move venue or be expelled from of the competition, so by playing it we still go out but legally. What are the rules about even entering in the first place, is it compulsory cos it’s just another drain on resources at the start of the season?

Yeah it’s mandatory as part of membership of the league I believe.

Dominic H

wouldn’t believe anything boddy says

Hertsccfc

How about this.

Don't agree

Take out Hamer for Eccles, the team us weakened massively

Take out Gyokeres for Waghorn the team us weakened even more.

If you take out your best players and replace with an inexperienced prospect who is lacking confidence and a has been who is hopefully on his way out of the club the impact is massive.

Hertsccfc

I think most of us would be in agreement that our top players by some distance are Hamer, O'Hare, Gyokeres and Sheaf. How many of them were playing? They are the ones that have an impact and make us tick.

The difference in quality between other players in the squad is negligible. Dabo has the potential if he stays fit to join the other four. But for each one of these four who are missing the quality drops considerably.

PVA

Don't agree

Take out Hamer for Eccles, the team us weakened massively

Take out Gyokeres for Waghorn the team us weakened even more.

If you take out your best players and replace with an inexperienced prospect who is lacking confidence and a has been who is hopefully on his way out of the club the impact is massive.

Then you are agreeing with me!

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Grendel seems to be saying taking out Hamer, Gyokeres, Sheaf etc and replacing them with Eccles, Allen and Walker is not massively weakening the side.

Which is some take.

NorthernWisdom

Grendel seems to be saying taking out Hamer, Gyokeres, Sheaf etc and replacing them with Eccles, Allen and Walker is not massively weakening the side.

Which is some take.
tbf he said it's not that weak, which he is right about in that just about all of them will be expected to play some kind of part this season, and some will be expected to be regulars - there's no Chris Camwell rocking up for the ride.

That's not the same as saying it's a weaker side than that which played Sunderland, and that which will play Millwall.

PVA

tbf he said it's not that weak, which he is right about in that just about all of them will be expected to play some kind of part this season, and some will be expected to be regulars - there's no Chris Camwell rocking up for the ride.

That's not the same as saying it's a weaker side than that which played Sunderland, and that which will play Millwall.

Yes exactly. They will all be expected to play a part this season - just not all at the same time, which is why it's significantly weaker than the first XI.

There's no Chris Camwells rocking up because we have significantly improved the squad over the years. Our bench players are better than they were in recent years.

But that doesn't mean that making 8 changes doesn't significantly weaken the side. Of course it does, that's just a fact.

Hertsccfc

Which is some take.
I am agreeing with your general point but not that replacing Hamer with Eccles and Gyokeres with Wagehorn only weakens us a bit. Essentially you underplayed how weakened that team was in my view.

Users who are viewing this thread