Transfer targets (6 Viewers)

BlueSkiesForever

Could sign a former Dutch U20 international from a struggling Eredivisie team insteaad.

Difference with Milan is that he was known to the be the fastest player in that league, clearly he was one of the best players in a struggling team, this Torp geezer hasn’t got any particular known strengths, just looks like a midfielder playing for an average Norwegian side. I’m not saying he’s going to be awful I’m just saying it seems a bit underwhelming on the face of it.

BlueSkiesForever

I've always thought picking up good players from the Scandi leagues would be a good market to tap actually, but sure we could just write him off instead.

I’m not writing him off, I was just hoping for a big money signing with experience and pedigree rather than an U21s player. I’ve been banging on about picking up players from European leagues consistently, I just hoped for a more proven player to fill that ultra important CM spot that’s all.

David O'Day

Difference with Milan is that he was known to the be the fastest player in that league, clearly he was one of the best players in a struggling team, this Torp geezer hasn’t got any particular known strengths, just looks like a midfielder playing for an average Norwegian side. I’m not saying he’s going to be awful I’m just saying it seems a bit underwhelming on the face of it.
that was gus mate not milan

Governmac

I’m not writing him off, I was just hoping for a big money signing with experience and pedigree rather than an U21s player. I’ve been banging on about picking up players from European leagues consistently, I just hoped for a more proven player to fill that ultra important CM spot that’s all.

why can't we sign this guy and the big money signing?

BlueSkiesForever

You could be describing Hamer or Sakamoto perfectly with this post. We'll get much more value from abroad. Looks like smart work to me.

I’m certainly not writing him off, I said in my original post he could be absolutely anything (amazing or shit) but I was just hoping for a more proven CM to come in from a bigger league with more proven experience, ideally someone a bit taller (5’9 or 5’10 according to some posts online) and just with overall class.

I’m by no means writing him off, I just was hoping for Hamer 2.0 rather than hopeful-Hamer 2.0.

Martin180

I’m certainly not writing him off, I said in my original post he could be absolutely anything (amazing or shit) but I was just hoping for a more proven CM to come in from a bigger league with more proven experience, ideally someone a bit taller (5’9 or 5’10 according to some posts online) and just with overall class.

I’m by no means writing him off, I just was hoping for Hamer 2.0 rather than hopeful-Hamer 2.0.
Was Hamer always going to be good ? Came with a similar profile

mmttww

He was talking about Hamer. He's explained that. Like someone else said, this is what Brighton do. Find value in leagues others don't bother with. Early signs are we know what we're doing - MvE, Sakamoto - so it might be time to open your mind a bit.

You watched his vid?! Looks to have the skillset we'd want to play alongside Sheaf or Eccles. Also, we're not shopping in the bargain bin here. We're talking about an EFL club handing over €2.5m in Jan. Using the model - sell for loads, replace for less.

Last edited:

skybluecam

Hamer went for £15m. That’s the kind of money that calibre of player goes for. We aren’t spending that kind of money.

Flying Fokker

Championship club Coventry is close to signing Danish reinforcements.

The Danish midfielder Victor Torp has had a great season in Sarpsborg 08, and he is now turning that season into a great change.

According to B.T. Sport is the 24-year-old Dane on his way from Sarpsborg to Coventry City in a deal for well over 2.5 million euros, equivalent to 19 million kroner.

Victor Torp emerged as a great talent at FC Midtjylland, but never made a breakthrough with the "wolves". Instead, he enjoyed success as a loanee at FC Fredericia and Lyngby Boldklub before going abroad.

In 2022, he was sold from FC Midtjylland to Sarpsborg, where he has been a big profile in the Norwegian league. Last season he scored seven goals and set up five in 33 games.

Now Victor Torp, 24 years old, has to try his hand at the Championship, where Coventry City is currently in a nice eighth place and fighting to get into the playoff game for promotion to the Premier League.

BlueSkiesForever

"we want the club to follow a Brighton / Brentford model"

*Club signs hitherto unknown player from abroad like Brighton do*

"No, not that one we want to pay top dollar for a 'proven' player"

Just that CM spot is really crucial, yeah it sounds picky but I’m absolutely down with the Brighton model for almost every other spot, I just think our midfield is so inconsistent at times we need that area of the pitch to be bang on.

I think it’s possible to have every faith in Robins and the recruitment team but still expect to have seen a “bigger” signing. It’s like your wife not buying you quite the right electric drill at Christmas, it’s what you wanted and I’m sure it’ll be good, but it’s not the Bosch one I had in mind, yet I still love her for it. (The analogy sorta works maybe…) 😂

mmttww

I was just hoping for a more proven CM to come in from a bigger league with more proven experience, ideally someone a bit taller (5’9 or 5’10 according to some posts online) and just with overall class.

If you can name someone who meets your own criteria I'd be seriously impressed. I'd also be surprised if they were realistic financially - we all know we're not dropping anywhere close to £10m on one player to replace Hamer.

skyblue_55

From a personal point of view , we are close to the play off places , but Hull ,just above us , are making good , English league marquee signings .
I was hoping for an ex prem or good championship player, to come straight in & take us to that higher place .
I wish this lad all the best , hopefully as we all do , but he might take time to acclimatise.

Senior Vick from Alicante

We dont know how much budget is available and the implications of financial fair play on our accounts at the moment. Also to get a signing of the stature you wished for means spending multiple millions of pound on fees and wages. You dont get those type of players in a January transfer window unless you have owners like Sisu.

TomRad85

From a personal point of view , we are close to the play off places , but Hull ,just above us , are making good , English league marquee signings .
I was hoping for an ex prem or good championship player, to come straight in & take us to that higher place .
I wish this lad all the best , hopefully as we all do , but he might take time to acclimatise.
Yeh there's no way Hull and their team full of loanees could possibly go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BlueSkiesForever

He was talking about Hamer. He's explained that Like someone else said, this is what Brighton do. Find value in leagues others don't bother with. Early signs are we know what we're doing - MvE, Sakamoto - so it might be time to open your mind a bit.

You watched his vid?! Looks to have the skillset we'd want to play alongside Sheaf or Eccles. Also, we're not shopping in the bargain bin here. We're talking about an EFL club handing over €2.5m in Jan. Using the model - sell for loads, replace for less.

I know it sounds like I’m not open minded in this particular scenario but I’m generally very open minded when it comes to tactics. I’m not here to bang on about what I think but I would just say that I was one of the first on here to consistently talk about going to 4-3-3 and also use Wright on the left wing. A lot on here took the piss out of me pretty brutally tbf, like fair enough at the time it seemed like a strange idea but look at the team now, everything I was hoping Robins would do a few months ago has happened and I’m glad we’re a better team for it.

One thing I haven’t done is watch his highlight reel yet tbf, so I’ll give that a watch now, hopefully he looks like an absolute beast.

David O'Day

hull have loaned someone who no one else wants as their attitude on and off the pitch is that bad

what can possibly go wrong

JimmyHillsbeard

hardly any players on our radar for january atm. king has told robins most likely be summer before we see extra players coming in. unless players leave who need replacing.

godden and moore could be leaving for warmer climates.

literally bumped into Simon Moore yesterday while he was running thru Leamington. He wasn’t feeling the wind chill there.

BlueSkiesForever

If you can name someone who meets your own criteria I'd be seriously impressed. I'd also be surprised if they were realistic financially - we all know we're not dropping anywhere close to £10m on one player to replace Hamer.

Tbh I can’t see why we can’t spend like £5-£8 mil on a quality player. It’s exactly what we need, we’ve got some depth, we just need consistent quality every week. Although I do get that there’s not that many options out there during the Jan window so it’d probably be tricky anyway.

Just to say, I’m not against this guy, I just wanted to see King go big that’s all 😂 I think any signings with some sort of potential are better than no signings at all, the more the merrier.

Users who are viewing this thread