Hello everyone . . . Sunderland fan coming in peace to talk about my book . . . (1 Viewer)

Wheelfass

Thank you for the warm welcome this evening and tonight. Look forward to the coming days and weeks on the board.
Well there you have Rejected, a cross view of opinions on the Mackems. Some are saying that as a group of fans you're ok and some saying it the way that I see it. It is of course true that not everybody should be tarred with the same brush but we all have our own reasons for the way that we react to people and/or situations.
Maybe I'm thinking much too far outside the box but as we are obviously enduring a time of extreme adversity as Coventry City fans I can't understand why you as a Sunderland fan, other than for your initial advert pertaining to your book, would want to be spending "the coming days or weeks" on this board.

rejected

Not an aquisition at all, it's the truth, 90 % of your bitter fans are c**ts.

Coventry City on the brink

Coventry lost their ground? - Sunderland Forum and Message Boards

Jimmy Hill

Oh: I'm not daft. I know there is a dislike amongst some fans. HOWEVER, have you actually read that Jimmy Hill thread you posted?? For every idiotic posting there are around 20 saying the opposite??

Our fans most certainly DID NOT CELEBRATE anyone's illness. That accusation was wrong.

skybluebeduff

Oh: I'm not daft. I know there is a dislike amongst some fans. HOWEVER, have you actually read that Jimmy Hill thread you posted?? For every idiotic posting there are around 20 saying the opposite??

Our fans most certainly DID NOT CELEBRATE anyone's illness. That accusation was wrong.
It's not a personal jibe at you mate, sorry if you felt it was. But you're wrong, some of your fans did celebrate, you're clearly to oblivious to the fact that they did, I don't have time to show you every comment or page, but they are there to see if you look.
Capture.PNG

You can ask many users on this forum how sickening some of your fans were.
Anyway good luck with your book, and the Championship.

Wheelfass

Try this link about Coventry from the Sunderland forum from about 5 years ago for starters.......

Coventry

Here's a few quotes from the link for you.
"never be forgiven, jimmy hill the fucker."
"Imagine the scenario... Coventry relegated final game of the season and the heartache killing off Chinny."
"I hope Thatcher goes the very same day as well. Also after a very long and painful illness."
"When Jimmy Hill, Coventry and Bristol City conspired to cheat their way to avoiding relegation I put aside 3 bottles of beer. I drank one each when Coventry and Bristol were subsequently relegated.
I'm keeping the other for when Jimmy Hill dies."

Etc etc

Last edited:

Otis

No cakes, no bunting, no party poppers?

You sure? ;)

NortonSkyBlue

The vitriol did get out of hand and some of our guys took it personally.
I can understand the Sunderland fans being upset in 1977, it was a very sneaky(but brilliant thing) that Jimmy Hill did. If it happened to us I am sure it would also not be forgotten but that's in the past.
I used to enjoy trips to Sunderland, it could be a bit bracing with the weather. It was not an easy place to get a result and the locals were not entirely hospitable.
Lets not forget in the 80's they were where we are now and with their great fans backing them they rose again and so can we.

NortonSkyBlue

Try this link about Coventry from the Sunderland forum from about 5 years ago for starters.......

Coventry

Here's a few quotes from the link for you.
"never be forgiven, jimmy hill the fucker."
"Imagine the scenario... Coventry relegated final game of the season and the heartache killing off Chinny."
"I hope Thatcher goes the very same day as well. Also after a very long and painful illness."
"When Jimmy Hill, Coventry and Bristol City conspired to cheat their way to avoiding relegation I put aside 3 bottles of beer. I drank one each when Coventry and Bristol were subsequently relegated.
I'm keeping the other for when Jimmy Hill dies."

Etc etc
From Cockney Mackem on that site:
Yes, fuck Coventry, fuck Bristol City and fuck Jimmy **** Hill.
Hope they're in the conference soon.

He could turn out to be Nostradamus!!!

Joy Division

The funny thing is about all this is that Jimmy Hill never actually organised the delayed kick off, it was the police due to the crowd congestion. As if the club chairman had the authority to do that.

It was mentioned in the Daily Mirror the following day that it was Jimmy Hill who did this and the story just spread, though he did instruct the scoreboard to display the Sunderland result.

Otis

The funny thing is about all this is that Jimmy Hill never actually organised the delayed kick off, it was the police due to the crowd congestion. As if the club chairman had the authority to do that.

It was mentioned in the Daily Mirror the following day that it was Jimmy Hill who did this and the story just spread, though he did instruct the scoreboard to display the Sunderland result.
Yep. Urban myth.

The one mistake he made was in having the the Everton v Sunderland result announced on the scoreboard and agreeing with the Bristol coaching staff to play out the game for a draw.

rejected

It's not a personal jibe at you mate, sorry if you felt it was. But you're wrong, some of your fans did celebrate, you're clearly to oblivious to the fact that they did, I don't have time to show you every comment or page, but they are there to see if you look.
View attachment 6364

You can ask many users on this forum how sickening some of your fans were.
Anyway good luck with your book, and the Championship.

We will struggle in the championship. Our squad is weak and NO investment possible.

Thank you for the luck with the book, it's definitely being enjoyed by those who are getting it!! Hope if you see it you like it too.

lifeskyblue

Perhaps im unusual here...never minded Sunderland fans at all and found those I have spoken too both friendly and knowledgeable. In fact I don't dislike fans of any club with the exception of those Man Utd fans that give it large but have never been to Old Trafford or any ground for that matter.
Of course here are individual fans of any club that are loutish bores but in the main the banter between rival fans is to be welcomed and fun.

PUSB
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otis

Perhaps im unusual here...never minded Sunderland fans at all and found those I have spoken too both friendly and knowledgeable. In fact I don't dislike fans of any club with the exception of those Man Utd fans that give it large but have never been to Old Trafford or any ground for that matter.
Of course here are individual fans of any club that are loutish bores but in the main the banter between rival fans is to be welcomed and fun.

PUSB
Only fans I really dislike are Leeds fans and that is just based on the encounters we have had with them.

A gang of them attacked me and broke my nose when I was just 14 and merely walking down the road with my City scarf on, the ripping out of seats at HR when we beat them 4-0 and at the end of the Hillsborough FA Cup semi-final when they were running down the road while many City fans were in slow queues of traffic, banging on the car windows looking for a fight. It didn't matter if there were families, women or children in the car.

Very intimidating. My sister in law never went to another match after that.

I'm sure there's some good Leeds fans out there, but there have been a number of bad experiences with them.

rejected

PUSB

Completely agree, there is some brilliant banter to be had. As already pointed out in here, we have fans, as do other teams who clearly overstep a mark.

Hope you enjoy the book if you get chance to read it.

Wheelfass

Only fans I really dislike are Leeds fans and that is just based on the encounters we have had with them.
A gang of them attacked me and broke my nose when I was just 14 and merely walking down the road with my City scarf on, the ripping out of seats at HR when we beat them 4-0 and at the end of the Hillsborough FA Cup semi-final when they were running down the road while many City fans were in slow queues of traffic, banging on the car windows looking for a fight. It didn't matter if there were families, women or children in the car.
I'm sure there's some good Leeds fans out there, but there have been a number of bad experiences with them.
This is how it is Otis. We base preferences for all things by our experiences.
I remember walking up Swan Lane on the oposite side of the road to the Kop when what seemed like hundreds of Leeds supporters - on the ground side - seemed to puch or kick everything in their way. I reckon it would have been about 1969 (ish). Would that have been the same day as you had trouble I wonder?

rejected

Im sure the book will resonate with everyone, especially those who have clearly travelled a lot watching your club!!

ovduk78

Im sure the book will resonate with everyone, especially those who have clearly travelled a lot watching your club!!
I'm going to buy it and read it on my wife's kindle. I am intrigued as to when you started applying and whether you wait till there is a vacancy as Arsene Wneger has been at Arsenal since 1996!!

Otis

This is how it is Otis. We base preferences for all things by our experiences.
I remember walking up Swan Lane on the oposite side of the road to the Kop when what seemed like hundreds of Leeds supporters - on the ground side - seemed to puch or kick everything in their way. I reckon it would have been about 1969 (ish). Would that have been the same day as you had trouble I wonder?
No, 70's.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

rejected

I'm going to buy it and read it on my wife's kindle. I am intrigued as to when you started applying and whether you wait till there is a vacancy as Arsene Wneger has been at Arsenal since 1996!!
I'll give you the answer now if you promise to still buy it!! :) ;-)

ovduk78

I'll give you the answer now if you promise to still buy it!! :) ;-)
I'm going to buy it but don't spoil the intrigue. I also want to see how you wrote 93 job application letters for the same type of job differently and how you worded the one to Sunderland and to the teams that you would never want to manage like Newcastle.

Otis

I'm going to buy it but don't spoil the intrigue. I also want to see how you wrote 93 job application letters for the same type of job differently and how you worded the one to Sunderland and to the teams that you would never want to manage like Newcastle.
Ooh, intrigue and suspense as well as job application forms.

Has best seller written all over it.*

*You should sue the guy who did that by the way cos I'm sure it isn't true.

rejected

I honestly think you're going to enjoy the book. I mentioned on the H and J show on talkSPORT that the main challenge was 93 different funny job applications. I'll let you decide if you think I pulled it off?! :)

fernandopartridge

The upset of the Sunderland fans is pathetic. At the end of the day their destiny was in their own hands. They FAILED to win their own game for which they only have themselves to blame. Silly bleating entitled twats.

rejected

Can't believe we are not considered a 'proper club with proper fans'.Tsk

You must be the SkyBlue Investigator!!

Don't worry; I genuinely believe you are a big club with proper fans who have been through some shocking times. I didn't put it in the original post as the main story for your fans about the book is the unique response from the chairman!!

Cov kid 55

Yes, I would agree Otis, I have nothing but bad memories if encounters with Leeds fans.

Users who are viewing this thread