Zain westbrooke (1 Viewer)

CovLis86

Think westbrooke is still going to improve with more game time, and if he wasn't going to get it with us in champ then move him on is the right move. Hope we've got a large sell on percentage in deal as think he will be bought by a team getting promoted into champ in a couple of seasons.

cc84cov

Whilst ultimately I'd have to agree that Shipley gave us more when it mattered, I think it's a shame that he's moved on, though I'm sure Robins and his team would have taken all considerations into account. At 24, there's still room for development, and I think Rovers have got a good player.

Yes they have technically he’s very good we’ve always known thAt but at times he can go missing in games the style we play suited him also

wantageskyblue

Shipley is definitely the better player.

However, paradoxically I think that controlling for all other factors, Westbrooke would end up commanding a higher fee. Shipley is an excellent player but part of the 'homegrowness' of his development has meant that he is a bit of an unknown quantity to football league sides. Westbrooke on the other hand, has been around Chelsea at youth level and captained Brentford B team. I think there's something about the nature of his play that means he would be more attractive to the average football league club.

Essentially what I'm saying is that Shipley is the better player. But they have slightly different playing styles. Shipley works harder, is more effective at tracking back etc. But clubs don't seem to value that as much as someone who is perceived as dynamic going forward (Westbrooke).

I have it on good authority (a member of the coaching staff) from a top PL club that JS is very highly thought of. Definitely not an unknown quantity. Apparently JS just doesn’t want to leave us (not at the moment anyway).

Mucca Mad Boys

We have no sell on with JCH from what I've heard.

I really hope not.

I’m sure MR mentioned something about Sunderland and/or Pompey sniffing around him on deadline day. Either way, JCH was never bad enough to be let go for absolutely nothing in the present, and nothing in the future too. He really must’ve been very, very disruptive if that was genuinely the case.

hamil99

Facebook User
At 24 he needs to be playing week in and week out, simple as! With us he would not be getting that, and after we signed Hilssner he possibly fell even further in the pecking order. Perhaps he was told so, and that maybe it was best for him to move on, and in response he was 'fuming'. That's my pure personal speculation.

Shipley, I believe will be a better player at 24 than Westbrooke is now, and hopefully with a couple seasons of championship football under his belt, will be worth much more in transfer fees.

That's why I think it makes sense to keep Shipley and move on Westbrooke.

Last edited:

cc84cov

I doubt there was a fee involved for Zain
There was a fallout with the management for some reason, possibly his agent overplaying his hand in negotiations
In a clash with Robins and his assistants there will only ever be one winner
Not sure about anyone coming in yet but it doesn't take a genius to see that we are a pretty good place for Premier League clubs to send their top young prospects to learn men's football
The optional year was locked at the fee for the previous years tho I thought ?

I heard it was personal problems regarding his Girlfriend who was also pregnant etc

Magwitch

Was reading about Bristol Rovers, they have a very wealthy owner apparently obsessed with being bigger than local rivals City

TTG

Also due to.sign tomorrow morning

Skybluedownunder

Free transfer with a big sell on fee is the like JCH is what they think on The Gas Forum

If it’s free I’ll be fuming.... especially when we had bigger clubs sniffing round him in Jan. We won the league for fucks sake, our players are worth a fee, can’t keep giving Bristol all our players for free and good ones too. JCH has been doing bits there and the max we will ever see out of that will be about $100k if he gets a transfer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David O'Day

If it’s free I’ll be fuming.... especially when we had bigger clubs sniffing round him in Jan. We won the league for fucks sake, our players are worth a fee, can’t keep giving Bristol all our players for free and good ones too. JCH has been doing bits there and the max we will ever see out of that will be about $100k if he gets a transfer

How many of those "big" clubs were real and how many were invented by his agent?

If they were real why is he having to sign for fucking Bristol Rovers

Woodingdean_Sky_Blue

I have it on good authority (a member of the coaching staff) from a top PL club that JS is very highly thought of. Definitely not an unknown quantity. Apparently JS just doesn’t want to leave us (not at the moment anyway).

I hope our return to the Championship marks a change. I hope Shipley's apparent willingness to stay is matched by an ambition by the club not to sell him on. I hope he develops and becomes a mainstay of our Premiership team.

As for Zain, at the end of his career I suspect he will be remembered as one of those players who was on the move every couple of seasons. People might remember him, but he won't have a special bond to any one team.

SlowerThanPlatt

There was never any interest - the fee quoted in these reports was £2m and now he’s going for a minimal fee to a club who finished 14th in League 1. It was all designed to boost his profile and get people speaking about him, some of our fans can’t believe we’re letting a player Leeds wanted go for little and Rovers fans think they’re getting a player who top Championship sides wanted. It’s all a little unfair on Westbrooke if it wasn’t his doing as there’s unrealistic expectations around him

RingoCCFC

There was never any interest - the fee quoted in these reports was £2m and now he’s going for a minimal fee to a club who finished 14th in League 1. It was all designed to boost his profile and get people speaking about him, some of our fans can’t believe we’re letting a player Leeds wanted go for little and Rovers fans think they’re getting a player who top Championship sides wanted. It’s all a little unfair on Westbrooke if it wasn’t his doing as there’s unrealistic expectations around him

I think he must have played a part in it , especially if this twitter comment had anything to do with a motion made with the club. I can't see MR just singling him out and saying 'your surplus to requirement' otherwise I think we'd have seen a few others go and the desire to make some money from him. I truthfully don't rate him as like a 'TOP PLAYER' but I think he would have commended a nominal fee to a league one team and was a decent player so for him to go on a free seems rather bazaar to me! I can understand JCH at the time going as it was freeing up wages for an under performing player who put out lackluster performances for us but Zaine did make an impact.

I'm hoping the rumors surrounding him going for free with no clause aren't true, I'd rather him go for pocket change now than a clause as I truly don't think he'll be getting a signing up from a championship club soon if the clubs mentioned above were interested prior and didn't want to go with a guy playing for a successful team in league one. Whilst I don't hate Bristol Rovers and JCH has been good for them I can't really say I'm expecting them to be top table in League One next season.

kg82

I think he must have played a part in it , especially if this twitter comment had anything to do with a motion made with the club. I can't see MR just singling him out and saying 'your surplus to requirement' otherwise I think we'd have seen a few others go and the desire to make some money from him. I truthfully don't rate him as like a 'TOP PLAYER' but I think he would have commended a nominal fee to a league one team and was a decent player so for him to go on a free seems rather bazaar to me! I can understand JCH at the time going as it was freeing up wages for an under performing player who put out lackluster performances for us but Zaine did make an impact.

I'm hoping the rumors surrounding him going for free with no clause aren't true, I'd rather him go for pocket change now than a clause as I truly don't think he'll be getting a signing up from a championship club soon if the clubs mentioned above were interested prior and didn't want to go with a guy playing for a successful team in league one. Whilst I don't hate Bristol Rovers and JCH has been good for them I can't really say I'm expecting them to be top table in League One next season.
Yemen, I mean, maybe clubs just don’t want Dubai in this market.

RingoCCFC

Yemen, I mean, maybe clubs just don’t want Dubai in this market.

I want Dubai to come to our doorstep! Think 10 mil sounds like a fair offer if the do come! :ROFLMAO: Shit I'll help the club build a portfolio of all our youngsters to ship off at an 'affordable price tag'.

Legia Sky Blue

The optional year was locked at the fee for the previous years tho I thought ?

I heard it was personal problems regarding his Girlfriend who was also pregnant etc

Am I the only one that thinks it out of order to put hearsay information out about players personal lives? By all means say what you like about their performances or value to the club, but this tittle tattle makes me feel uncomfortable.

TTG

He is defiantly going for a minimal fee no idea if there is a clause
The whowthing was mainly he made robins no longer trust him - a series of events resulting in robins doing robins

wingy

The Club will always take the rational path .
Us fans more the emotional .
Should be no bad feelings, they're a waste
He maybe wasn't on that much from his initial deal and where he came from ,so expected that to be adjusted?

superskyblue

Sorry to see him go, but as we progress we will need to set our standards higher. Robins is certainly ruthless when looking to progress the team and you can't argue with the results so far. Good luck to Westbrooke.

junglej13

Wasnt a starter once Allen was fit and O'Hare started to establish himself in the side. He has the potential to improve but with us going up I think we have to improve a lot in the two players who will support the lone striker. We need players who will look to hit double figures.

Users who are viewing this thread