Zain westbrooke (2 Viewers)

Blind-Faith

If Shipley wasn’t one of our own he wouldn’t get half the love in he gets. He’s not a bad player by any means but Westbrooke is the better footballer. He just doesn’t run around like a headless chicken and flying into tackles left right and centre. Will be a real shame letting him go

ccfcway

If Shipley wasn’t one of our own he wouldn’t get half the love in he gets. He’s not a bad player by any means but Westbrooke is the better footballer. He just doesn’t run around like a headless chicken and flying into tackles left right and centre. Will be a real shame letting him go

But he is, that’s the difference.

In the same way I have my kids drawing on my fridge. If it was anyone else’s kids drawing they would be firmly in the recycling

Mucca Mad Boys

I don’t think Robins’ judgement is based on Shipley being ‘one of our own’.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the situation, I think he’s a good player and it’s a shame we’re letting him go. However, you don’t know if he’s had a row with MR (e.g. over the contract or game time) or he’s becoming an increasingly disruptive to the squad.

If he is proving to be a problem, you’ve gotta get rid.

Last edited:

Eflfootball7

This whole rumour seems to have stemmed from one pretty unreliable twitter account tbh, who acc believes he’s heading to Bristol rovers?

SlowerThanPlatt

I don’t think Robins’ judgement is based on Shipley being ‘one of our own’.

Without knowing the ins and outs of the situation, I think he’s a good player and it’s a shame we’re letting him go. However, you don’t know if he’s had a row with MR (e.g. over the contract or game time) or he’s becoming an increasingly disruption to the squad.

If he is proving to be a problem, you’ve gotta get rid.

He also played 31 games in the league to Westbrooke’s 25 last season, both were fit for all of it so the management don’t agree either

RingoCCFC

Shipperz also plays for the city in his heart, you know he’s going to go that extra mile when it really counts! I’m not a massive fan of him, sure there’s better... but there’s also worse! Westbrooke did get in some turning goals and assists but he’s the one doing this to himself! It’s very childish to throw your toys out the pram and it doesn’t say a great deal about character!

Blind-Faith

Has there ever been any interest in Shipley? I know there has been in Westbrooke , which says something in itself

junglej13

Has there ever been any interest in Shipley? I know there has been in Westbrooke , which says something in itself
A lot of the 'interest' in Westbrooke I suspect was from his agent. If he is available for transfer this list of Championship clubs who were all interested in him are conspicuous by their absence.

RingoCCFC

Also it isn’t something the team have created, they never stated he was surplus to requirement... he’s causing this situation it’s not like he wouldn’t have had a chance!

cc84cov

I think he gets a lot of stick at times tbh I certainly have give it him if you can’t see that Shipley brings more than Westbrooke then 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Legia Sky Blue

If we looked to sell Shipley, he would command a much bigger fee than Westbrooke. Some of the gilt edged passes he made last season to set up Hiwula (who generally missed them) and later on Godden belonged to a higher level. He is 22 with loads of potential improvement in him, and the hunger to improve. He has, played over 100 games already, contributes his share of goals, is younger than Westbrooke, while being left footed brings the team far more balance. MR is no fool!

cc84cov

It's a decent signing for them, and I think it's for the best, I like him on the ball but feel his all round game isn't good enough for championship football
I expect we will see the arsenal lad this week...

@brighter days might know more ?

jordan210

Think that quote for Robins is still true

When speaking on Westbrooke’s future earlier this year, Robins said: “I think he has got a load of potential and there’s still huge room for improvement, physically. Technically and tactically I think he is very good but I think there’s room for improvement physically as well as other areas.

This seams are area we are trying to toughen up on. As we are a bit light weight at the moment so need some stronger players

no_loyalty

Good luck to him at Bristol Rovers, probably wouldn't have had much game time for us next season.

I wonder what the transfer fee will be?

standupforcity

I've never understood the Westbrooke thing. Okay scored a couple of decent goals, as he should, and put in some decent crosses, as he should, but I think he's pretty lazy round the pitch if the ball isn't in his area, and is sometimes very slow off the mark. Give me the flawed Shipperz any day.

Evo1883

I've never understood the Westbrooke thing. Okay scored a couple of decent goals, as he should, and put in some decent crosses, as he should, but I think he's pretty lazy round the pitch if the ball isn't in his area, and is sometimes very slow off the mark. Give me the flawed Shipperz any day.

If westbrooke wasn't scared to put his foot in or his head where it hurts, he'd be a cracking player... And there lies the problem

Sky Blue Harry H

Let's face it - Kelly, Hamer, Shippers, O'Hare, 'DM newcomer Zainbrooke was only ever going to make the odd appearance amongst that lot. Good luck to him and all that. Sell on clause included and we'll be happy if he's a success and moves on. Also helps the budget.

Sky Blue Harry H

If westbrooke wasn't scared to put his foot in or his head where it hurts, he'd be a cracking player... And there lies the problem

Interestingly on Bristol's forum they were comparing him to Liam Sercombe re: ratings, and were expressing surprise that he had a lower tackling score than Sercombe (who they think is weak in that area). This tends to back that up.

Walsgrave

If we looked to sell Shipley, he would command a much bigger fee than Westbrooke. Some of the gilt edged passes he made last season to set up Hiwula (who generally missed them) and later on Godden belonged to a higher level. He is 22 with loads of potential improvement in him, and the hunger to improve. He has, played over 100 games already, contributes his share of goals, is younger than Westbrooke, while being left footed brings the team far more balance. MR is no fool!
Shipley is definitely the better player.

However, paradoxically I think that controlling for all other factors, Westbrooke would end up commanding a higher fee. Shipley is an excellent player but part of the 'homegrowness' of his development has meant that he is a bit of an unknown quantity to football league sides. Westbrooke on the other hand, has been around Chelsea at youth level and captained Brentford B team. I think there's something about the nature of his play that means he would be more attractive to the average football league club.

Essentially what I'm saying is that Shipley is the better player. But they have slightly different playing styles. Shipley works harder, is more effective at tracking back etc. But clubs don't seem to value that as much as someone who is perceived as dynamic going forward (Westbrooke).

Evo1883

I don't necessarily think Shipley has more natural ability, but he's more versatile and can give you something extra... Hence why Robins prefers him

cc84cov

For those thinking Westbrooke is better than Shipley you all are in disagreement with Mark Robins

Users who are viewing this thread