With the Thorn comment 'We've picked up quite a few injuries' (1 Viewer)

stupot07

So he has no input whatsoever?

Yes, other than handing a list or saying that he doesn't need someone. That's the case in the vast majority of football clubs. Even on that programme Alan sugar did around football finance, Harry Redknapp stated he didn't know how much tottenham had paid for players or what their wages were. He said he gives the list to the chairman and he deals with all that side of it.

If you didn't see it, read post number 1: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/264695-Alan-Sugar-Tackles-Football-Great-Watch.

Last edited:
Do you think AT handed in a big list? :thinking about:

Do you think AT has no input in when a player leaves? he finds out when he doesn't turn up to training the next day?

If so, why carry on in such a job...or if you do continue then you accept the situation and the criticism/praise that comes from your results/performances....regardless of the circumstances......have I got that right, or is this another situation which has nothing to do with the manager?

stupot07

What's that got to do with your op? Which was why didn't AT put a recall clause into McPake's loan.....? Which he in all likelihood had no part in the negotiations. This thread is about our injury problems not whether AT's got the tactics wrong.

And re: whether he has any say on wether players can leave, didn't the club loan Conor Thomas out to Liverpool without asking AB?
http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...-decision-says-aidy-boothroyd-92746-28099900/

No, you are right, no blame attached to AT....SISU's fault...100%.

Manager's carry the can for too much in modern football....and he has developed a dressing room with a great bunch of lads.....who are also buzzing. So let's give credit for that....

Nonleagueherewecome

LBB putting the boot in, I see. Disagree with pretty much all you say there! You actually defend AT quite a lot on the phone in-"what's AT meant to do?" being an exact quote-why the change of tune now everyone's injured? I don't get it.

The OP missed out Hussey from the list of injured players, I think.

Board sets the playing budget and tells the Manager what it is.
Manager puts his squad together based on that budget.

Thats the theory, but when you have half wits like SISU involved setting playing budgets for Cov Sunday League the Manager has no chance.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Your previous posts were a lot more categorical....but respect, you seem to know that AT didn't (in all likelihood/possibly/probably) have anything to do with the lack of recall clause in McPake's loan deal.

Thorn had to let McPake go on loan in order to get in Norwood. Without McPake going, there'd be no Norwood.

Without Norwood's goals and assists, I suggest we'd be best part relegated by now. As such, Thorn had to agree to McPake's move. Thereafter, the terms of his move would have been totally and wholly agreed by the SISU suits

http://www.coventryobserver.co.uk/2012/04/10/sport-McPake-move-frees-funds-for-Thorn-28182.html

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Are we not already 'the best part relegated'?

That aside, I'm pleased we've got Norwood over McPake

Well, without Norwood's two goals and two assists, you can imagine how much worse we'd be. If the next two games go our way, we are still in with a chance. Without Norwood's input, that position wouln't be ours

LBB putting the boot in, I see. Disagree with pretty much all you say there! You actually defend AT quite a lot on the phone in-"what's AT meant to do?" being an exact quote-why the change of tune now everyone's injured? I don't get it.

The OP missed out Hussey from the list of injured players, I think.

NLHWC, I'll explain why my attitude/patience has run out with Thorn...

You may appreciate that situations change, based on decisions. Decisions made by those in charge.

We are not in this mess as a result of one factor or the actions of one individual/group....on another thread, I highlighted the 3 reasons for our predicament (The Board, The Manager, Certain more senior players).

The blame is shared amongst these 3 groups...for the record, I'd divvy it up 50%/30%/20%.

No doubt AT has been dealt a poor financial hand....but once he accepted this, then he must carry some responsibility. He is the manager of an organisation in the sporting entertainment business....and in terms of results he has failed...in terms of his target (which was 4th from bottom in this piss-poor league, with a team deducted 10 points as a helping hand, or we'd be 7 points adrift now), he looks like failing.

I have criticised SISU since 2007 (unlike some on here and on the CET forum), and have also openly criticised on here and on the radio, the likes of Bell, McSheffrey and Clingan.

However, AT (and Harrison) must also be held to account. The Bristol City game was the final straw. He set the team up for a draw, he sat in the dugout for almost the entire 90 minutes, and we seemed resigned to defeat against a team who gifted us a goal-start....anyone who went to the game will know that from the first 5/10 minutes, Bristol controlled the game and were always the more likely winners. Bristol are 4 points clear and have a relatively comfortable buffer helped by that game.

Prior to the Peterbrough game, we had our fate IN OUR OWN HANDS...and now 3 games later we are 4 points adrift needing to win our next 2 games to realistically take it to the last day...but the situation is well and truly out of our hands.

Yes, I have had enough of AT....I've had enough of his mundane/passion-less post match interviews, I've had enough of the diamond formation, I've had enough of a lack of imagination at set pieces, I've had enough of being unable to handle simple set pieces where the ball is simply hoisted into the six-yard box, I've had enough of 9 wins in 45 games....and I've had enough of being told that these are a good bunch of lads....I've had enough of being told that we were unlucky...I've had enough of being told that draws here and there with 3 games to go are good results....need I go on, NLHWC?????

I didn't expect us to win the league, I didn't even expect us to be in the play offs or top 10, but aided by a team deducted 10 points, I expected us to be above the likes of Peterbrough, Bristol City, Barnsley, Crystal Palace and challenging the likes of Brighton, Watford, Ipswich, Burnley, Derby....and yes, I say that because I have seen these teams play home and way and they aren't much kop.....are they????

I'm as passionate as the next fan, and I haven't lost the faith (as witnessed by another several thousand pounds spent following the lads home and away, taking days off work and getting grief from the missus/family....ffs I'm even missing my own 40th birthday party to go to Southampton!!!!), but I also reserve the right to comment and criticise those who run my club, or wear the shirt, or represent us in any form.

Therefore, in my opinion, Andy Thorn does have something to answer for....anyone who thinks that he should be absolved from blame is deluded....and consequently, NLHWC, yes, I have put the boot into Andy Thorn, and make no apology for it....because once this sorry excuse for a season is over, we, the fans, should hold ALL of those who have taken our club to the depths of the second tier (and maybe the third tier of football) accountable....THE BOARD, THE MANAGER AND THE PLAYERS.

Last edited:

1nilandwe...

You may appreciate that situations change, based on decisions. Decisions made by those in charge.

We are not in this mess as a result of one factor or the actions of one individual/group....on another thread, I highlighted the 3 reasons for our predicament (The Board, The Manager, Certain more senior players).

The blame is shared amongst these 3 groups...for the record, I'd divvy it up 50%/30%/20%.

No doubt AT has been dealt a poor financial hand....but once he accepted this, then he must carry some responsibility. He is the manager of an organisation in the sporting entertainment business....and in terms of results he has failed...in terms of his target (which was 4th from bottom in this piss-poor league, with a team deducted 10 points as a helping hand, or we'd be 7 points adrift now), he looks like failing.

I have criticised SISU since 2007 (unlike some on here and on the CET forum), and have also openly criticised on here and on the radio, the likes of Bell, McSheffrey and Clingan.

However, AT (and Harrison) must also be held to account. The Bristol City game was the final straw. He set the team up for a draw, he sat in the dugout for almost the entire 90 minutes, and we seemed resigned to defeat against a team who gifted us a goal-start....anyone who went to the game will know that from the first 5/10 minutes, Bristol controlled the game and were always the more likely winners. Bristol are 4 points clear and have a relatively comfortable buffer helped by that game.

Prior to the Peterbrough game, we had our fate IN OUR OWN HANDS...and now 3 games later we are 4 points adrift needing to win our next 2 games to realistically take it to the last day...but the situation is well and truly out of our hands.

Yes, I have had enough of AT....I've had enough of his mundane/passion-less post match interviews, I've had enough of the diamond formation, I've had enough of a lack of imagination at set pieces, I've had enough of being unable to handle simple set pieces where the ball is simply hoisted into the six-yard box, I've had enough of 9 wins in 45 games....and I've had enough of being told that these are a good bunch of lads....I've had enough of being told that we were unlucky...I've had enough of being told that draws here and there with 3 games to go are good results....need I go on, NLHWC?????

I didn't expect us to win the league, I didn't even expect us to be in the play offs or top 10, but aided by a team deducted 10 points, I expected us to be above the likes of Peterbrough, Bristol City, Barnsley, Crystal Palace and challenging the likes of Brighton, Watford, Ipswich, Burnley, Derby....and yes, I say that because I have seen these teams play home and way and they aren't much kop.....are they????

I'm as passionate as the next fan, and I haven't lost the faith (as witnessed by another several thousand pounds spent following the lads home and away, taking days off work and getting grief from the missus/family....ffs I'm even missing my own 40th birthday party to go to Southampton!!!!), but I also reserve the right to comment and criticise those who run my club, or wear the shirt, or represent us in any form.

Therefore, in my opinion, Andy Thorn does have something to answer for....anyone who thinks that he should be absolved from blame is deluded....and consequently, NLHWC, yes, I have put the boot into Andy Thorn, and make no apology for it....because once this sorry excuse for a season is over, we, the fans, should hold ALL of those who have taken our club to the depths of the second tier (and maybe the third tier of football) accountable....THE BOARD, THE MANAGER AND THE PLAYERS.

TL;DR

Sorry.

could not argue with a single point here. Happy birthday by the way

Brighton Sky Blue

Brizzle away was close to the final straw for me as well. Adomah ran rings around Hussey and Christie for fun and all we could offer when we had the ball was an instant hoof up to Clive. Brighton away was the same story, except we had Juke up there as well as Platt so the temptation to hoof was two fold. We keep the ball on the floor in our own third of the pitch before launching it down the other end of the pitch-and it's the only thing we do. There is absolutely no point in us having a midfield if we sit deep and hoof for 90 minutes; no point at all.

on the money there kidda

but the thorn can do no wrong lot will still disagree dunno how like

Mary_Mungo_Midge

on the money there kidda

but the thorn can do no wrong lot will still disagree dunno how like

That is ridiculous. I hate the labelling of anyone who's trying to see the bigger picture as opposed to simply calling for the sacking of the latest manager - yet again - being a blind pro-Thorn sycophant. Find me - please, please find it - a poster on here who sees nothing but unconditional good in all he does. They don't exist, yet the same diatribe gets trotted out time and time again.

The reality? Thorn's been dealt an impossible hand. He makes mistakes. Every manager in this league, and every other league does. He made mistakes last year too, but he had the players at his disposal to cover his arse. The same quality of players our peers still possess. Those players - every single one - one, by one has been sold underneath him. If the squad was barely good enough last year, how can it be good enough this year, when shaven from every asset at it's disposal?

Thorn could have resigned. Doubtless to be labelled a quitter by all and sundry. He didn't. Why so? Well perhaps he thought he could turn things around. The recent run of form suggests he may have been right in that regard, although perhaps too late, who yet knows?

I'm not going to pull LBB's post apart as I disagree with much of it, but respect his heart-felt position. However, one simple, simple question has to be considered....

Our first team squad is funded amongst the bottom three in this division. Where do you expect for us therefore to finish?

That is ridiculous. I hate the labelling of anyone who's trying to see the bigger picture as opposed to simply calling for the sacking of the latest manager - yet again - being a blind pro-Thorn sycophant. Find me - please, please find it - a poster on here who sees nothing but unconditional good in all he does. They don't exist, yet the same diatribe gets trotted out time and time again.

The reality? Thorn's been dealt an impossible hand. He makes mistakes. Every manager in this league, and every other league does. He made mistakes last year too, but he had the players at his disposal to cover his arse. The same quality of players our peers still possess. Those players - every single one - one, by one has been sold underneath him. If the squad was barely good enough last year, how can it be good enough this year, when shaven from every asset at it's disposal?

Thorn could have resigned. Doubtless to be labelled a quitter by all and sundry. He didn't. Why so? Well perhaps he thought he could turn things around. The recent run of form suggests he may have been right in that regard, although perhaps too late, who yet knows?

I'm not going to pull LBB's post apart as I disagree with much of it, but respect his heart-felt position. However, one simple, simple question has to be considered....

Our first team squad is funded amongst the bottom three in this division. Where do you expect for us therefore to finish?

No point sacking him now. Three games time and his contract runs out

impossible hand

no he hasnt. he had 2 very good young players come in to help. there the only reason were still in with a chance

his tactics are negative for our current predicment - we havent won in 3 games now. 2 weeks ago it was in our own hands since then we havent won

injuries have played a part but the damage was done earlier on in the season when he was reluctant to make changes

i feel sorry for his position and lack of funds but this team is capable of better

The reality? Thorn's been dealt an impossible hand.

another thing

funding is not the be all and end all

leicester spend millions yet not in the playoffs.

blackpool swansea recent years little money made it to the prem

reading this year, spent hardly anything and infact sold players but doing alright , stupid comment

if that was the case the football league would be based soley on transfers

Mary_Mungo_Midge

M&D. In virtually every league in the world, money buys success. Like it or not; that's the way it is.

There are exceptions, of course. Those are the teams, or the individuals who over perform. Much sough after.

Do you have a right to expect Thorn cheat the odds and over perform?

And a right to label him a loser if like the balance of the sports world, he's unable?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

impossible hand

no he hasnt. he had 2 very good young players come in to help. there the only reason were still in with a chance

his tactics are negative for our current predicment - we havent won in 3 games now. 2 weeks ago it was in our own hands since then we havent won

injuries have played a part but the damage was done earlier on in the season when he was reluctant to make changes

i feel sorry for his position and lack of funds but this team is capable of better

Better than whom? Give me a name of a club we a capable of better than.....

Brighton Sky Blue

M&D. In virtually every league in the world, money buys success. Like it or not; that's the way it is.

There are exceptions, of course. Those are the teams, or the individuals who over perform. Much sough after.

Do you have a right to expect Thorn cheat the odds and over perform?

And a right to label him a loser if like the balance of the sports world, he's unable?

When I said we had little or no chance at Leicester in a large part due to their obscene expenditure this season, I was told 'that's not a valid excuse' and 'downplaying our win due to that is pathetic' (the latter courtesy of old Hackney). If we had so much as 10% of their expenditure available this season (close to £2m), we would be sitting safe-and that for me is a big big frustration.
However, our team has been set up in damage limitation mode most weeks which exacerbates our off-pitch handicap; when the team's been encouraged to play more attacking or more expansive football, it's tallied with better results.

sylus

mmm....in your eyes..thorn can do no wrong..we have been in the bottom 3 more or less all season..he is going to take us down. no question there.and when he does...he will be gone..

Better than whom? Give me a name of a club we a capable of better than.....

for a start donny (who spent more)
pompey

barnsley

bristol city were there for the taking if you went you would have seen that

peterboro

barnsley

thats six teams off the top of my head

all the above have sold players and spent little to no money except donny/pompey

sylus

we all know the situation with thorn and sisu screwing him over..but hey he knew this.he took the job..a job he has done appallingly..and when he has gone..good..i say...

Mary_Mungo_Midge

for a start donny (who spent more)
pompey

barnsley

bristol city were there for the taking if you went you would have seen that

peterboro

barnsley

thats six teams off the top of my head

all the above have sold players and spent little to no money except donny/pompey

Would that be Bristol City who were able to make 6 changes for the game they played us, including loan players from West Brom and QPR who changed the game? For that game, we had a squad of 14 outfield players to choose from, by the way. Of which 6 were aged 20 or younger. Hmmm. Nice example. Or Barnsley? Would that be the team who signed Drinkwater from United, who we wanted but couldn't afford? Or Peterborough who've just signed a player on loan to a £1.2m move in the summer?

Looks like the clubs 'off the top of your head' aren't great examples. Can you think of any better ones from somewhere else?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

we all know the situation with thorn and sisu screwing him over..but hey he knew this.he took the job..a job he has done appallingly..and when he has gone..good..i say...

What a joke of a post. Any semblance of merit any other post you are able to muster is discredited by the foolishness evidenced in that statement. It's either meant to be a joke, in which case it's not funny. Or it's serious. In which case, I simply pity your sense of reason

Brighton Sky Blue

Would that be Bristol City who were able to make 6 changes for the game they played us, including loan players from West Brom and QPR who changed the game? For that game, we had a squad of 14 outfield players to choose from, by the way. Of which 6 were aged 20 or younger. Hmmm. Nice example. Or Barnsley? Would that be the team who signed Drinkwater from United, who we wanted but couldn't afford? Or Peterborough who've just signed a player on loan to a £1.2m move in the summer?

Looks like the clubs 'off the top of your head' aren't great examples. Can you think of any better ones from somewhere else?

We were on the back foot for the whole of the Bristol game, not just when subs were made. We chose to employ hoof-mania combined with our usual deep back line; even with 100% fit players we'd have lost playing like that.

mmm....in your eyes..thorn can do no wrong..we have been in the bottom 3 more or less all season..he is going to take us down. no question there.and when he does...he will be gone..

Can we stop trotting out this bullshit that if you do not think Thorn is wholly responsible and should be sacked immediately, then you completely absolve him of all blame for our extremely poor season? It is the same on both sides of the divide (i.e. if you want Thorn out, then you are defending SISU and player performance)... people use it as an basis to strengthen their counter argument, but no one ever says it.

Nick

Administrator
It is clear that a mix of the board, Thorn and players are to blame. Nobody is blameless in the situation.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

It is clear that a mix of the board, Thorn and players are to blame. Nobody is blameless in the situation.

That is absolutely true. Thorn is not blameless, and anyone looking to state the contrary is denying facts. The board have offered a level of investment - right across the playing squad - that can lead to nowhere othe than relegation, saving an over-achieving manager ( which is niaeve in the extreme given Thorn's experience, or lack thereof) and many senior players haven't pulled their weight. In some cases, quite a bit of weight.....

Users who are viewing this thread