Will Fleck Stay? (1 Viewer)

lifeskyblue

Personally thought he was our best player over the season. When we were playing well he provided (with Vincelot) the drive to get the attack moving. Yes at times he played too deep and contributed to a few goals against by giving the ball away in dangerous areas but I felt he was what made us tick.
Even when we were in the middle of our poor run I still felt the team (as well as TM and the fans) looked to him. He didn't always deliver but I also felt he didn't shirk his job.
I hope Gadzhev can do the job, and more, that fleck did. If he can then we will be in a strong position to challenge for the top 6.
As important though is I fear sheff Utd in getting fleck will be a stronger team than last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Dart

ajsccfc

I would have been amazed if he renewed, but I was at least expecting him to either move up a division or back to Scotland.

Moff

I would have been amazed if he renewed, but I was at least expecting him to either move up a division or back to Scotland.

Exactly my thoughts too. If this happens I am really surprised.

Another of case of thanks for your efforts whilst with the club, and for us to move on.

shy_tall_knight

It could be seen as an upwards move as they would be seen as a bigger club based on the last 10 years but its hardly justifies the over inflated opinions some fans have on here regarding his ability. Won't be missed by me nor the videprinter on the BBC, 8 goals in 4 seasons for a midfielder is extremely poor.

ccfcrob

It is a strange move, he is going from one under achieving League 1 club to join another in the same situation.
I personally would have stayed here. Clearly Mowbray has a vision and a much better managerial pedigree then Robert Page!

bawtryneal

What will be great if we get promoted and SUFC don`t
Ive been told this morning that he has been offered a 3 year deal at SUFC on £32K a month and we offered a 2 year deal.(don`t know the salary)

MAFF

Fleck has had one good season out of four. Even at times last year we carried him. Not sure I've ever seen him win a tackle either. Would rather have kept him and would have had no problem with him going back to Scotland or moving up a league but Sheffield United???? Really strange. Money talks I guess.

bawtryneal

It is a strange move, he is going from one under achieving League 1 club to join another in the same situation.
I personally would have stayed here. Clearly Mowbray has a vision and a much better managerial pedigree then Robert Page!

Why is Robert Page relevant. He is Northampton manager, do you mean Chris Wilder

Nick

Administrator
Ive been told this morning that he has been offered a 3 year deal at SUFC on £32K a month and we offered a 2 year deal.(don`t know the salary)

£8k a week, silly money for League 1.

Average wage for the year is £69k.

Don't think we could justify paying him £8k if correct.

Brylowes

If that's true you can't blame him, 8k a week FFS for a bang average league 1 player.

Nick

Administrator
If that's true you can't blame him, 8k a week FFS for a bang average league 1 player.

Higher than the average Championship wage too. £60k a year more!

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078518.jpg

shy_tall_knight

Fleck will always love the Cov fans as they have helped him earn a salary way beyond his ability, by ovver the top praise despite mediocre performances - in my very humble opinion. TM worried me when he gave him such a glowing endorsement also.I think a sideways move indicates that the championship clubs don't match TM's assessment.

Brylowes

Higher than the average Championship wage too. £60k a year more!

3167EF3100000578-0-image-a-32_1456008078518.jpg
Is that right, in 1984 div 1 players on 25k a year, would have thought they'd
be on more, I was on £90 a week as a 1st year apprentice in 1985.

Nick

Administrator
Is that right, in 1984 div 1 players on 25k a year, would have thought they'd
be on more, I was on £90 a week as a 1st year apprentice in 1985.

I don't think it is far off. I remember somebody telling me Micky Gynn earns more as a postman now than he did for us in 87. Obviously the value of things change between now and then when comparing a wage as I doubt postmen were paid that then.

luwalla

on the plus side... whatever wages we had put aside in the hope he would sign, and i imagine he would have been offered one of the top wages in the squad, just became free again to go towards a new player.... every cloud ;)

Nick

Administrator
on the plus side... whatever wages we had put aside in the hope he would sign, and i imagine he would have been offered one of the top wages in the squad, just became free again to go towards a new player.... every cloud ;)
Yeah I said I would do it for 6k a week, I've got my sideways passing test at 4 :)

bawtryneal

£8k a week, silly money for League 1.

Average wage for the year is £69k.

Don't think we could justify paying him £8k if correct.

I think they consider Fleck a Championship player and SUFC expect to be in Championship next season. I have also been told they are signing O`Connell from Bradford next week for a "substantial fee", whatever that means.

torchomatic

Odd he's going to Sheffield united when there was a queue of championship teams wanting to sign him.

I thought he would join up with Mowbray at Rotherham.

KG7

I guess it would be reasonable to suggest that we might move for Bigiramana now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

torchomatic

I'm not as bothered about Fleck as I thought I would be. Yeah, when he's good, he's good and all that, but really he's only had a handful of good games in the four seasons he was here. I think who he is signing for says it all really, not the Championship or Scottish Premiership as some on here would have us believe. If we can get a couple of good players for his wages then I'm more than happy with that.

He's not the first player to leave and he won't be the last.

armybike

Tony Mowbray confirms Fleck's switch to Sheffield United
Tony Mowbray is asked about John Fleck’s impending move to Sheffield United:

“Is it disappointing? He knew how much we wanted to keep him. He wanted to go to the league above but he’s gone to a club with a greater resource than us.

”Let’s see how he goes there.”

“If they have the resource to tempt him that appears to be what’s happened.

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sp...ews/coventry-city-transfer-news-live-11585812

runner

Fundamentally, don't we all feel, if objective, that Sheff Utd are a better option for him than Coventry ... they have aspirations and money, we have neither ? Fair play to Fleck for going ... shame for us though, I rated him higher than most it would appear on this forum, big loss in our mid field in my opinion.

eastwoodsdustman

He was good for us in patches and pretty anonymous in others and whilst in the team I think we were a bit predictable. I certainly won't miss him giving the ball away on the edge of our box like he was prone to doing.
He's moved on and so should we.

Users who are viewing this thread