Wigan (H) (1 Viewer)

ccfcmad1

Say we have 5k season ticket holders 2k match pakages i would of thought the majority who have packages would choose this game, Wigan bring 1500 thats 8500 surely there will be around 3k match buying tickets?

WiganSW

Sold out our second allocation in a day fellas, up to just over 1,600. Last batch coming tomorrow so we should have 2,000 plus come Saturday!

Pie_n_peace

Wigan fan in peace

Wigan fan here, I'd just like to pick up on a couple of things from this thread. Our successes over the last couple of decades has seen our average attendances, both home and away, increase significantly, albeit from a very poor starting point. I started watching Wigan during the non league years and so for me the speculation over whether we'll take 1000 or 2000 to Coventry still makes me smile. I've been on HOME games with less than a 1000 during my adult life and I'm only in my 40's. Wigan will always be in the shadow of other clubs, but it's not Wigan Rugby, who we have comparable crowds to, Wigan is a massive footballing town, the fans just don't support Wigan Athletic. We have utd and city half an hour east, Liverpool and Everton half an hour west and a host of other clubs within half an hour who were "top flight" whilst we were still in non league. This will always be our challenge but it's one we endure, we'll always struggle to get crowd sizes comparable to other teams. This is part of our DNA and many of us revel in this "small band of committed fans" feel despite the constant sniping from fans of other teams (many from Wigan) or the media who are too lazy or too stupid to research the numerous reasons why we face these challenges.
Inevitably, the increase in recent support has meant that we've attracted more than our fair share of numpty's along the way, one of whom appears to have posted on here. Believe me, those of us who have been around since the pre Whelan days have no "big time charlie" attitude to this division or any other. I think we'll struggle this year, most of my mates agree that a mid table finish will be something of an achievement, I'm just hoping to avoid another relegation battle.
Finally, I worked with a Coventry fan last year and got to know a little of what your club has been going through recently, so whilst I don't wish you luck for Saturday (obv), I wish you luck for the rest of the season and sympathise greatly with the plight that you have endured.
(0:0 for Saturday - I'd snatch your hand off now if you offered it)

lifeskyblue

0-0.... I think most of us would take you up on that Pie. Thanks for the measured post...Wigan are in an unenviable position of being surrounded by massive, big and average sized clubs. Considering everything your rise and success was a remarkable achievement even with whelan's investment. I think every neutral in the country were behind you in the cup final couple years back.

Many on here think you are nailed on for promotion with your relative wealth from your premier/championship payments but we all know football rarely follows the script. After Saturday enjoy your season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hobo

anyone ever gone to a game on their own? someone bailed on me for saturday but really want to go...

Is your mummy going shopping? Joke

i have been to loads of games home and away on my own. It is a good experience. Being with someone or a group is better.....unless they are complete and utter doom and gloom merchants

Go and enjoy.

Last edited:

Pie_n_peace

"you are nailed on for promotion with your relative wealth"

Our wealth is a myth, Whelan (quite rightly) has run the club for the last few years on a break even footing with minimal investment from himself. This has seen the quality of the squad vastly eroded, hence the relegations.
We now have no money left and are unlikely to be bankrolled by anyone else. This is the next chapter in our clubs incredible story and there is much speculation between the fans as to where our "natural" home is. I'm hoping it's yo-yo ing between league one and the championship but it could just as easily be yo-yo ing between leagues one and two. The only pot we have to p!ss in at the moment is the replica of the FA Cup :) but at least we (currently) have no debts and are running as a solvent business, unlike many.

Hobo

"you are nailed on for promotion with your relative wealth"

Our wealth is a myth, Whelan (quite rightly) has run the club for the last few years on a break even footing with minimal investment from himself. This has seen the quality of the squad vastly eroded, hence the relegations.
We now have no money left and are unlikely to be bankrolled by anyone else. This is the next chapter in our clubs incredible story and there is much speculation between the fans as to where our "natural" home is. I'm hoping it's yo-yo ing between league one and the championship but it could just as easily be yo-yo ing between leagues one and two. The only pot we have to p!ss in at the moment is the replica of the FA Cup :) but at least we (currently) have no debts and are running as a solvent business, unlike many.

Have your fans accepted that financial reality or are they like some of our fans who think it is their right that the owners should fund regardless to achieve success? Their suggested transfer targets are usually over rated has beens or simply players who are just not on our financial radar.

Sick Boy

Wigan fan here, I'd just like to pick up on a couple of things from this thread. Our successes over the last couple of decades has seen our average attendances, both home and away, increase significantly, albeit from a very poor starting point. I started watching Wigan during the non league years and so for me the speculation over whether we'll take 1000 or 2000 to Coventry still makes me smile. I've been on HOME games with less than a 1000 during my adult life and I'm only in my 40's. Wigan will always be in the shadow of other clubs, but it's not Wigan Rugby, who we have comparable crowds to, Wigan is a massive footballing town, the fans just don't support Wigan Athletic. We have utd and city half an hour east, Liverpool and Everton half an hour west and a host of other clubs within half an hour who were "top flight" whilst we were still in non league. This will always be our challenge but it's one we endure, we'll always struggle to get crowd sizes comparable to other teams. This is part of our DNA and many of us revel in this "small band of committed fans" feel despite the constant sniping from fans of other teams (many from Wigan) or the media who are too lazy or too stupid to research the numerous reasons why we face these challenges.
Inevitably, the increase in recent support has meant that we've attracted more than our fair share of numpty's along the way, one of whom appears to have posted on here. Believe me, those of us who have been around since the pre Whelan days have no "big time charlie" attitude to this division or any other. I think we'll struggle this year, most of my mates agree that a mid table finish will be something of an achievement, I'm just hoping to avoid another relegation battle.
Finally, I worked with a Coventry fan last year and got to know a little of what your club has been going through recently, so whilst I don't wish you luck for Saturday (obv), I wish you luck for the rest of the season and sympathise greatly with the plight that you have endured.

Most of the fans who have levelled criticism at Wigan and your supporters are more than likely completely ignorant about the situation. They also no doubt believe that CCFC's rightful place is the Premier League and that we are too big for this league and that we are in no way a tinpot club.

Pie_n_peace

Have your fans accepted that financial reality or are they like some of our fans who think it is their right that the owners should fund regardless to achieve success? Their suggested transfer targets are usually over rated has beens or simply players who are just not on our financial radar.

There is inevitably a mix of fans who have differing opinions but I believe that a significant percentage of our fan base accept we are who we are and accept where we belong and they buy in to the clubs attempts to run in a prudent fiscal manner. We have had fantastic recent success but many of us viewed the "prem years" as the exception and not the norm. Now we are back in league one and many of us are looking forward to this season just as much as any other, but more importantly we are also happy having an immediate future which sees us solvent and in no imminent danger of folding, unlike many other clubs (E.g. Bolton, rumored to be 178 million in debt)

duffer

As good a post as I've ever read. I would be one of those who assumed that it was (the wrong sort of) Rugby that was your biggest issue - I stand corrected.

Anyone who supports a 'smaller' team from their home town, when there are glory teams right on their doorstep is OK by me. Let's just settle for 0-0 now and go down the pub instead. :)

Hobo

Pie n peace, good luck for the season. I think Wigans achievements have been fantastic even with Whelans money.

ericagradus

Predicted line ups?
I think it will be:

Burge

Willis Ricketts Johnson Stokes

Vincelot Fleck

Lamires Maddison Armstrong

Tudgay

Pie_n_peace

congrats

sorry for resurrecting an older thread but just wanted to congratulate you on a great win. We were as bad as I feared we would be and I suspect we have a long way to go before we see significant improvement, but as bad as we were I thought your lot played great. Mowbray got it spot on with his tactics and the players did the rest. Good luck for the rest of the season, but I don't think you'll need it. Perhaps not promotion (although you never know), but certainly not a relegation threatened season either based on that showing.

lifeskyblue

Cheers Pie. Yes I was pleasantly surprised, after the pre season showing, with our performance and equally surprised by yours. You will be ok if you can start to put some end product to your possession. In the last third you did nothing and only looked like scoring on a couple of occasions. Yes TMs tactics were spot on and the new lad Armstrong was a revelation.
I'm sure Caldwell will sort you out but he needs someone up top...as we do too.
All the best for the rest of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread