Wigan (H) (2 Viewers)

pusbccfc

Wiganlad is obviously one of them
football fans who think football started in 2008 and only started supporting them when they got into the Prem.

I hope that he's just having a bit of pre match banter with us all.

Any club who takes 5,000 fans to a competive match at Wembley is absolutely tiny let's be honest, no two ways about it. You're not fooling us Wiganlad, most of us on this forum were born before 2008.

In their defence, it was their third trip to Wembley in a matter of months. We would take 40k+ the first time to Wembley, but if we were to go there again a year later, we would take half of it.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'm trying to put this into context. It's the equivalent of Nuneaton Town(non league for most of its history with 1,000 crowds) being bought out by a billionaire, working their way up to the PL, winning the FA cup, then falling back down the divisions and trying to claim they're not a very, very small club who massively overachieved. Surely you grasp that WiganLad123 or did football only start start in 2008 for you?

SlowerThanPlatt

In their defence, it was their third trip to Wembley in a matter of months. We would take 40k+ the first time to Wembley, but if we were to go there again a year later, we would take half of it.

Fair enough but not having 5k at all. If I remember correctly front page of sun was 'English footballs shame, FA are left are embarrassed as FA cup winners sell 5,000 tickets'.

Like I said nothing against Wigan, incredible rise, but don't start thinking because you a dropped down a tier you're a massive club, there's far bigger clubs in this league and the league below.

pusbccfc

Fair enough but not having 5k at all. If I remember correctly front page of sun was 'English footballs shame, FA are left are embarrassed as FA cup winners sell 5,000 tickets'.

Like I said nothing against Wigan, incredible rise, but don't start thinking because you a dropped down a tier you're a massive club, there's far bigger clubs in this league and the league below.

Without doubt most clubs would sell 15k if it was their third trip.

Wigan is a Rugby League town. Always has been, always will be.

Proper football only became popular when Whelan took over and they went on their rise to the Prem. Now he's retired and handed over to his grandson, 2 or 3 failed businesses behind him at age 23 I believe, then you'll see a demise back down to non-league eventually.

Martinez saw the writing on the wall and swiftly moved on.

I can't be there for the opener, but will beat the return match in April, by which time I expect us to be challenging for a top 2 spot :guitar2:

Forgot to say - when we play Wigan at their place I'll give you a good beer guide for pre-match refreshment ;)

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Wigan didn't even play above L1 until 2005. Bloody hell, worse than I even expected. Imagine claiming you're anywhere near the 5 biggest teams in this league, bottom 4 maybe.

W

westcountry_skyblue

I do recall Wigan taking 93 supporters to Spurs for a league game in the premier league,argument over !!!

WiganSW

Alright fellas,

Wigan fan here. Just wanted to point out that we all aren't like the fan here who's been spouting we're bigger than the likes of you and Sheffield United! We've had a cracking run over the last 20 years and reached dizzy heights for a club like ours so we're bound to get the young 'uns who started supporting us in the Prem thinking we own this league now. Do think you're underselling us a bit though, but of course I would say that!

As for the crowd, I'd guess we'll bring close to a couple of thousand. We've spent a bit of money and there's a buzz about the place at the minute, so think we'll travel in our numbers. Think you'll see our away crowds improve a lot this year compared to recent years, especially if we're winning games too, but nothing compared to the bigger teams in this league.

Finally, a couple of questions, 1) How far we talking from the train station to the Ricoh? First trip there and looking forward to it. and 2) any decent boozers for away fans?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season, although I do think you'll be challenging us near the top for most of this year. Really like Tony Mowbray as a manager.

WiganSW

Alright fellas,

Wigan fan here. Just wanting to ask a quick couple of questions about next week, and to let you know that we all aren't like the lad posting on here before thinking that we're as big as the likes of yourselves and Sheffield United, far from it. We've had a great 20 years so the young 'uns that started supporting us when we were a Premier League team will obviously have different views on the likes of yourselves, whom they have never come up against watching Wigan. Do think you're underselling us a bit though in comparison with other teams in this league but of course I would say that ha!

In terms of crowds, I think we'll bring a couple of thousand, 2.5k max. We've spent a bit of money, generated a decent enough squad and there's a buzz about the place at the minute, makes a change from the doom and gloom under the horrendous management that was Malky Mackay. We generate a bit of noise whatever the numbers, yes, even when we don't take many, so should be a decent atmosphere! You'll see our away following improve massively this year so don't be too surprised if we're close to averaging a 1000 in most places. That's a lot to us so don't judge!

Lastly, 1) Train station wise, what's best way of getting to and from the station to the Ricoh? first time I've been to the ground so not exactly sure.
2) Any decent boozers for away fans, or mixture of both fans, for us to go in pre and post game?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season, I really like Tony Mowbray and I think we'll both be fighting for the automatic spots come May 2016!

Macca

Alright fellas,

Wigan fan here. Just wanting to ask a quick couple of questions about next week, and to let you know that we all aren't like the lad posting on here before thinking that we're as big as the likes of yourselves and Sheffield United, far from it. We've had a great 20 years so the young 'uns that started supporting us when we were a Premier League team will obviously have different views on the likes of yourselves, whom they have never come up against watching Wigan. Do think you're underselling us a bit though in comparison with other teams in this league but of course I would say that ha!

In terms of crowds, I think we'll bring a couple of thousand, 2.5k max. We've spent a bit of money, generated a decent enough squad and there's a buzz about the place at the minute, makes a change from the doom and gloom under the horrendous management that was Malky Mackay. We generate a bit of noise whatever the numbers, yes, even when we don't take many, so should be a decent atmosphere! You'll see our away following improve massively this year so don't be too surprised if we're close to averaging a 1000 in most places. That's a lot to us so don't judge!

Lastly, 1) Train station wise, what's best way of getting to and from the station to the Ricoh? first time I've been to the ground so not exactly sure.
2) Any decent boozers for away fans, or mixture of both fans, for us to go in pre and post game?

Cheers and good luck for the rest of the season, I really like Tony Mowbray and I think we'll both be fighting for the automatic spots come May 2016!

I haven't got time to answer the questions but nice to see a constructive post

Grendel

Alright fellas,

Others will advise better but I would say taxi.

Pubs aren't easy around the area at all. If there aren't too many of you it may be best to pitch up at the arena park. There's a F and B's and a Mexican that has a small bar area. There is a newish hungry horse as well but it's too far to walk.

As Macca says good to see a sensible post on here. Yes historically you are a club we'd have laughed at in the same way Huddersfield would have laughed at Liverpool in the 30's. Now you are a club with bigger and beget prospects. Our fans struggle with that. You will walk the league.

wingy

Maybe the Foleshill Rd, a few pubs and WMC's, The RAOB club Is a good shout and always hospitable to away fans.

SlowerThanPlatt

Can't find the thread where Grendel was so confident of Wigan winning the league so only relevant thread I can find is here. They have a manager whos in his first managing role ever. I believe in TM with lesser backing than Gary Caldwell with bigger backing. 20 quid we finish above them and another 20 quid they don't get automatically promoted or finish in the top 6. Could get embarrassed at the end of the season but I'm very confident. [MENTION=4246]Grendel[/MENTION]

rupert_bear

All this bollox about we are a bigger club than you. The fact is at this moment in time, which is all that matters really, a club like Bournemouth, yes fucking Bournemouth with it's 11/12000 capacity ground Dean Court are bigger, a lot bigger than us and have been for a while, we a club in the 10th largest city in England. It is those currently running OUR club who we should be targeting not some little jerk from Wigan.

CovLis86

I admire your optimism Rupert, but i have to say id be confident Wigan wont get any less than playoffs, and I dont think we will get into them.

SlowerThanPlatt

All this bollox about we are a bigger club than you. The fact is at this moment in time, which is all that matters really, a club like Bournemouth, yes fucking Bournemouth with it's 11/12000 capacity ground Dean Court are bigger, a lot bigger than us and have been for a while, we a club in the 10th largest city in England. It is those currently running OUR club who we should be targeting not some little jerk from Wigan.

My problem with clubs like Wigan is the massive difference between home crowds and away followings. This suggests that not many of their fans(tag-alongs when they got into the PL) don't support the club enough to go away. That must be a worrying trend for the future, that people of Wigan didn't even want to support the club in the PL. MK Dons are Wigan v2 if they got into the Prem. In fact, I remember Rodney Marsh and the Daily Mail newspaper publicly stating that a club like Wigan shouldn't be allowed to play in the PL because it just shows our top league up and they haven't a built a fanbase big enough for that league. I'd have their actual fanbase down as Rochdale\Bury size, about 3,000. Why? Them clubs take similar numbers away with 3,000 crowds.

Last edited:

Grendel

Can't find the thread where Grendel was so confident of Wigan winning the league so only relevant thread I can find is here. They have a manager whos in his first managing role ever. I believe in TM with lesser backing than Gary Caldwell with bigger backing. 20 quid we finish above them and another 20 quid they don't get automatically promoted or finish in the top 6. Could get embarrassed at the end of the season but I'm very confident. [MENTION=4246]Grendel[/MENTION]

I will not bet against my own team (I don't bet actually) but Wigan I am 100% convinced will be in the top 6 so we can bet on that alone if you like.

Otis

I am not at all convinced Wigan will walk the league. Should and will are two completely different things.

Many a club have come down and found League One a total culture shock.

They could well end up in the top 6, but I am not all convinced they will walk this division at all.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

FRY-CCFC

Have asked a few Wigan fans what they expect their team to be and they reckon the first response thinks the same team that lost 3-0 to Blackburn today.

According to the local paper:

Formation: 3-4-2-1

O'Donnell

Daniels Morgan McCann

Kenny Perkins Francisco James

Power Jacobs

Grigg

LJC_CCFC

Have asked a few Wigan fans what they expect their team to be and they reckon the first response thinks the same team that lost 3-0 to Blackburn today.

According to the local paper:

Formation: 3-4-2-1

O'Donnell

Daniels Morgan McCann

Kenny Perkins Francisco James

Power Jacobs

Grigg

Well that's that, we're going down 7-0.

SlowerThanPlatt

I'd have Grigg, Jacobs and the keeper here thats it. I'm sure LJC will be along soon telling me they're the best team in the world and every player is class

LJC_CCFC

I'd have Grigg, Jacobs and the keeper here thats it. I'm sure LJC will be along soon telling me they're the best team in the world and every player is class

What? I'm the one saying that people should look at the other teams in the league. The fact is the majority aren't significantly stronger than us.

Funnily enough Wigan have one of the 'stronger' squads in the league - on paper at least - and yet it actually isn't that convincing.

So you've been continually moaning about our squad, chances etc, but now say you would only have three players from one the best squads in the league. Doesn't really make sense does it.

The fact that it is the first time you appear to have acknowledged who Wigan have says it all, furthermore quantifying my view that the majority on here - and Coventry fans in general - have no idea about the opposition we are facing this season.

Last edited:

FRY-CCFC

It's a decent side for this level and is well able to challenge. The thing I feel will let them down is Gary Caldwell. This is based on pretty much nothing but an inexperienced manager and playing a 3-4-2-1 with that back three. Don't expect him to last the season tbh.

skybluedan

It's a decent side for this level and is well able to challenge. The thing I feel will let them down is Gary Caldwell. This is based on pretty much nothing but an inexperienced manager and playing a 3-4-2-1 with that back three. Don't expect him to last the season tbh.

Sounds like pressley

higgs

Agree inexperience will cost them same with Millwall compared to Sheffield United with adkins in charge who knows how to deal with ups and downs during a season

Users who are viewing this thread