Who’s at work/Not at work? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter westcountry_skyblue
  • Start date

Nick

Administrator
Weird isn't it. My Mum, in her seventies, is the first one to say don't do things to me

What things are you doing to your mum?

giphy.gif

Liquid Gold

At work we accept contract amendments by email when people aren't in the office e.g. maternity so make sure you aren't replying with anything that could be constituted as agreement. Apart from that they're bound to follow the terms of your contract, sound like a bunch of twats trying their luck seeing if people fall for it and they can save some cash.

Astute

Got a lot of building/engineering work going on at work. The contractors have all left site because of the risk working close together. So there are some decent companies out there. They are massive contracts.

My work has sent everyone home/contacted that has underlying health issues like asthma on full pay until it is safe to come back to work. Any symptoms for everyone else and minimum 14 days off. Will keep the place running on overtime. Started 04:50 this morning. Finish Tuesday morning 5am. 72 hours in 6 days. Back Thursday morning after. We have all agreed to do our bit to keep everything running.

Easy choice though. Stay at home not able to go out or go to work and earn extra money. Think I would do it for free for the sake of my sanity as I live alone. But not telling them that.

rondog1973

Work for a PLC, in a division collecting and recycling confidential waste. Was off work Tuesday after Monday nights announcement and the time was utilised by senior management looking to reschedule the businesses we service.

Turns out we're defined as key workers as it's waste disposal. The waste we collect presents no threat to health or environment if left uncollected. If we turn up at a business and it's closed, it's defined as an attempt and therefore our company charges the customer for this.

The lads at the depot are outraged at the exploitation of this loop hole with the feeling the company are playing fast and loose with the health and wellbeing of their staff just so they receive payment for services that in many cases aren't fulfilled due to closures.

I'm personally terrified as an asthmatic and some of the other lads have underlying conditions too. I recently witnessed the tragic demise of my younger sister to a chest infection and know full well how hospitals simply have nowhere near the resource to deal with the pending deluge of patients...

wingy

Work for a PLC, in a division collecting and recycling confidential waste. Was off work Tuesday after Monday nights announcement and the time was utilised by senior management looking to reschedule the businesses we service.

Turns out we're defined as key workers as it's waste disposal. The waste we collect presents no threat to health or environment if left uncollected. If we turn up at a business and it's closed, it's defined as an attempt and therefore our company charges the customer for this.

The lads at the depot are outraged at the exploitation of this loop hole with the feeling the company are playing fast and loose with the health and wellbeing of their staff just so they receive payment for services that in many cases aren't fulfilled due to closures.

I'm personally terrified as an asthmatic and some of the other lads have underlying conditions too. I recently witnessed the tragic demise of my younger sister to a chest infection and know full well how hospitals simply have nowhere near the resource to deal with the pending deluge of patients...
Gov't failure right here .

clint van damme

Sorry to hear about your loss Rondog.
Terrible news

wingy

Got a lot of building/engineering work going on at work. The contractors have all left site because of the risk working close together. So there are some decent companies out there. They are massive contracts.

My work has sent everyone home/contacted that has underlying health issues like asthma on full pay until it is safe to come back to work. Any symptoms for everyone else and minimum 14 days off. Will keep the place running on overtime. Started 04:50 this morning. Finish Tuesday morning 5am. 72 hours in 6 days. Back Thursday morning after. We have all agreed to do our bit to keep everything running.

Easy choice though. Stay at home not able to go out or go to work and earn extra money. Think I would do it for free for the sake of my sanity as I live alone. But not telling them that.
Decent that.

Paxman II

As an asthmatic you must self isolate as you are deemed 'at risk'. So you should not be going to work?
The company can not lay you off for this. They can pay you or they can put you on furlough leave and apply for 80% of your wages under the job retention scheme.

Terry Gibson's perm

Weird isn't it. My Mum, in her seventies, is the first one to say don't do things to me, she was going on 3 weeks ago that I should cancel a weekend in London I had planned.

But then I've just phoned her to say I've got the shopping and will drop it round, leaving it outside, and she announces she doesn't need everything on the list she gave me as she went shopping yesterday! Didn't get a very polite response form me.

My in-laws rang to say going into hiding for two weeks after we have been shopping tomorrow so after a week or so we asked if they were ok for food and they said no worry we have been ti Tesco a couple of times and the corner shop most days it’s probably more frequently than before

Last edited:

Astute

Decent that.
My employers are always good. That is the main reason I have stayed with them for so long.

My wife was struggling to get a flight to go to her mother's funeral in January. They let me have an extra 12 days in France with wife and kids so I could take her instead of going back to work when due back.

wingy

Ah that's sad mate .
So even harder for her atm .
You've got some other family out there haven't you?

Brighton Sky Blue

Remote teaching a bit tougher today-took about 2 and a half hours to prepare an A-level lesson due to the need to record explanations, instructions and find videos that can properly replace experiments. Some students are doing their work properly but it's clear that others are doing less than they need to. Also doesn't help with keeno colleagues launching YouTube channels to impress the higher ups.

Astute

Ah that's sad mate .
So even harder for her atm .
You've got some other family out there haven't you?
My mother, an aunt and my sister with one of her kids. But they are not allowed to visit each other at the moment. We get plenty of visitors....or should I say we got plenty of visitors. Had someone due to turn up next week.

But the weather has picked up. Average about 20 degrees the last week or so. Should be in the 30's in a month or two. So not all bad.

Johhny Blue

I have worked (for Ricoh )from a home office for about a year but not 8hrs /day. but job involves lots of flying around the country so it's a nice break to actually stay home. Been busy this week a we sell "Remote Worker" audio video packages for home offices.
Kicked about retirement options for a couple of years so by the time this is all over it might make up my mind for me.

ceetee

Yeah my brother runs a tiling business in Warwick. Usually has 6 weeks work ahead of him at any given time.
Lots of cancellations from old people who don't want him in their homes understandably.

Got a weeks work in the diary
Don't fully understand that one. Working on a roof alone is not breaking any government conditions. As long as the owners keep away it'd OK.
Same with a gardener. You just have to avoid contact

ceetee

I've been retired for nearly 17 years so I'm not personally affected by work issues, although my children and grandchildren are.
Problem is, without any meetings to go to or nights out with friends, or going out for a drink I don't know what day it is as my diary is empty. Perhaps that'd my age.

As I'm over 70 I have to be a bit more careful but I'm lucky to live in a village where there are kind people who are volunteering to help those who are confined.
For the first morning in years I didn't walk to the shop today to get my paper, as this is a service provided by the volunteers.
I am allowed to go shopping once a week if I dare. I went to Tesco's last Friday for the over 70's hour. It was just like the days before Christmas, totally rammed. Not doing that again.
As long as we survive it we can't complain and hopefully some of the good that is happening will become the new normal.

The Reverend Skyblue

Don't fully understand that one. Working on a roof alone is not breaking any government conditions. As long as the owners keep away it'd OK.
Same with a gardener. You just have to avoid contact
I think he is a bathroom/kitchen tiler, he will certainly have close contact with homeowners and they might be concerned about him working and touching things/ surfaces inside their homes

Hobo

I work two days a week delivering pharmaceuticals to the elderly, old peoples homes and hospital wards. As you can imagine it is a busy two days.

Stay safe everyone and use a barrier between hands on supermarket trollies, cash machines and petrol pumps. Soap and water is better than hand sanitizer if you have access to it. Don't forget to wash wrists and between fingers and base of the thumb - be thorough.

eastwoodsdustman

Self-employed folks should get 80% of their previous declared tax-return.....

...So if you've previously cooked your books or not declared....then fuck you....thats karma bitch.

Had a customer who was a taxi driver and off work so tried to claim loss of earnings. He wasn't happy when I told him he'd get about £80 per week as they went off his last 3 years tax returns.
Bloke put his son through Cambridge, had 3 houses he rented out and went home to bangladesh every year for 8 weeks.

Terry Gibson's perm

Had a customer who was a taxi driver and off work so tried to claim loss of earnings. He wasn't happy when I told him he'd get about £80 per week as they went off his last 3 years tax returns.
Bloke put his son through Cambridge, had 3 houses he rented out and went home to bangladesh every year for 8 weeks.

I said to my wife yesterday that a lot of the self employed people who have been doing plenty of cash work for years might find it tricky now and in the future cash is going to be used a lot less and not so easy to use.

Kneeza

Yep, we manufacture hospital cleaning products and anti-bacterial goods. 24/7 at the moment as you can imagine, and I’ll say this, it gives enormous sense of pride knowing you’re making a difference and the workers want to make a difference. Efficiency has never been higher and stuff going out the door is the best it’s ever been.
Chap next door runs a workwear and safety equipment supply business (just him and one employee). He handed out bottles of hand sanitizer to all the nearby houses yesterday.
Nice gesture, and people remember things like that.

no_loyalty

I was working from home, but just been put on Furlough by my company, now on 80% pay.

North York’s Blue

Technically it is breach of contract, however unless you would be due a decent redundancy package and are maybe close to retiring then who in their right mind would refuse? The job market is hardly buoyant at the moment. A 20% cut in wages is a lot, potentially more if you earn a good wage, however you’re saving on travel costs, you can’t realistically go out and spend plus you’ll still (hopefully) have a job at the end of it. Personally I’d be a lot worse off if my company went down that route but I’d see it what it is and accept it if needs be.

Users who are viewing this thread