Who’s at work/Not at work? (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter westcountry_skyblue
  • Start date

Woolly68

Been working from home since the 6th (aircraft parts and fuel systems). 3 kids all off school. Wife working 2 days a week, Special Needs Teacher. Luckily the weather is good and we have a back garden that the kids can spread out in and not annoy each other too much.
The air seems noticeably cleaner, especially looking at the stars at night. Also hearing and seeing a lot more birds in the garden. Very quiet outside now, could hear a pin drop.

clint van damme

Been working from home since the 6th (aircraft parts and fuel systems). 3 kids all off school. Wife working 2 days a week, Special Needs Teacher. Luckily the weather is good and we have a back garden that the kids can spread out in and not annoy each other too much.
The air seems noticeably cleaner, especially looking at the stars at night. Also hearing and seeing a lot more birds in the garden. Very quiet outside now, could hear a pin drop.

I think a lot of us take our back gardens for granted.
Mine isn't the biggest garden in the world by any stretch of the imagination.
But we're very lucky to have them in the current situation, especially if you've got young kids.

Woolly68

I’m a teacher so I have to go in however we are now on a rota so I only do one day a week. Can’t moan really as we have about 20 kids in out of 1400. Making them play cricket today to encourage social distances
My wife has only 2 children in but they still turn up for them as they are vulnerable children. She doesn’t seem to mind though.

Woolly68

I think a lot of us take our back gardens for granted.
Mine isn't the biggest garden in the world by any stretch of the imagination.
But we're very lucky to have them in the current situation, especially if you've got young kids.
Our garden isn’t massive but has a big trampoline filling most of it, which is a godsend. That’s how my kids are getting a lot of their exercise. School work in the morning, play in the afternoon. I thought it would be a nightmare but no major squabbles amongst them so far.

Badger

WFH since last week. Had trouble not switching the PC on at the weekend having been trying to get into a routine for work.

Just been told we will be doing 3 days a week for at least a month. I don't know if the government cover 80% of the difference or if it would be better to be laid off completely.

Ring Of Steel

WFH since last week. Had trouble not switching the PC on at the weekend having been trying to get into a routine for work.

Just been told we will be doing 3 days a week for at least a month. I don't know if the government cover 80% of the difference or if it would be better to be laid off completely.

someone posted something about the fine print there- it’s not the govt paying anything, the govt are just underwriting the banks lending that money to companies. I’ll try to find it.

ovduk78

Just about to start getting ready for work. My role is to keep production running over our whole plant. I have been informed that I am a key worker so will work all the way through whatever happens unless I get any symptoms. Then it is off for 14 days even if I don't have the virus. Have been self isolating for over a week now.

We have to keep going so those who have been hoarding toilet rolls can continue to do so. Although it should start to get better soon now restrictions have been put in place on how many you can buy. And we will be able to ship them out even faster now there are more available lorries.

It is a bit strange seeing millions of bog rolls at work but not seeing them in shops.
How are the wife and kids astute, I take it they're still in France and your in UK?

Tommo1993

Work as normal. Although the demand seems smaller for the time being, and the roads are quiet so I’m enjoying it. It feels peaceful.

Super Graham Withey

Working from home. My wife is a nurse so she’s not. Major planning going on at Walsgrave to cope with this. Just stay at home and stay safe. PUSB.

stay_up_skyblues

I am a liability claims adjuster and usually work from home except when doing site visits and investigations. All visits have been cancelled until further notice so purely at home now.

As it is, our property guys are still extremely busy with the flood claims and so we’ve taken a load of work from them to handle from the desktop. So I’ve got more now to be working on with than I did a few weeks ago.

No complaints from me at all. I have got a few self employed mates in the trade who are struggling and very worried. One of them has a wife who runs a restaurant for a large chain and had to lay all her staff off before closing. They’ve just bought a new house and had twins. Feel for anyone in these uncertain positions.

Astute

How are the wife and kids astute, I take it they're still in France and your in UK?
Wife is coping and kids are loving it thanks.

Weather has been around 20 degrees for the last week. So their lockdown could have been much worse. They are now doing the school work set for them in the garden. But the wife knows she will be lucky to see me before September. And she is feeling guilty that the kids can't go anywhere even though they don't care. She even has to go shopping alone.

Kneeza

Me and 'er are both retired.
My eldest daughter works a customer-facing desk in car service and was proper pissed-off that she'd been told she must keep going in (even though the other showroom staff had been laid off on 80%). However, last night they relented and shut down as from this AM. Her husband is Sales at another branch and had already been furloughed.
Younger daughter is now working from home. Her husband is laid-off.
So that's all good(ish), except that both the lads rely on bonuses to make up approx 33% of their salaries, and obviously they won't get those, so their 80% relates to base pay only. Tough financially for them.
Could be worse though, I guess.

Astute

Our garden isn’t massive but has a big trampoline filling most of it, which is a godsend. That’s how my kids are getting a lot of their exercise. School work in the morning, play in the afternoon. I thought it would be a nightmare but no major squabbles amongst them so far.
Wind took our trampoline over winter. It got stuck around a pear tree. Upset my 11 year old daughter as she would be on it all the time. Took them a new one a few weeks ago but it rained mist if the time so didn't put ut up. Got it direct from the manufacturer for about £100 less than normal. The wife and 18 year old daughter put it up last week. Kids are happy again. Even the dogs enjoy having a go on it.

Grendel

someone posted something about the fine print there- it’s not the govt paying anything, the govt are just underwriting the banks lending that money to companies. I’ll try to find it.

Where have you got that rubbish from? It’s a grant directly payable from HMRC. Have the republic done the same?

chiefdave

Where have you got that rubbish from? It’s a grant directly payable from HMRC. Have the republic done the same?
Think he's looking at the business interruption scheme.
The government will provide lenders with a guarantee of 80% on each loan (subject to pre-lender cap on claims) to give lenders further confidence in continuing to provide finance to SMEs. The scheme will be delivered through commercial lenders, backed by the government-owned British Business Bank.

There are 40 accredited lenders able to offer the scheme, including all the major banks.
Business are being signposted to that as the job retention scheme "systems are not set up to facilitate payments to employers". The detail that seems to be missing is if when the system is up and running payments will be backdated. Would assume so but it doesn't seem to mention that.

Grendel

Business are being signposted to that as the job retention scheme "systems are not set up to facilitate payments to employers". The detail that seems to be missing is if when the system is up and running payments will be backdated. Would assume so but it doesn't seem to mention that.

Not the same scheme then

ovduk78

Wife is coping and kids are loving it thanks.

Weather has been around 20 degrees for the last week. So their lockdown could have been much worse. They are now doing the school work set for them in the garden. But the wife knows she will be lucky to see me before September. And she is feeling guilty that the kids can't go anywhere even though they don't care. She even has to go shopping alone.
Crikey, September is months away. Hope you have enough to keep you occupied & you probably speak as often as you can on Skype, facetime or whatever

xcraigx

My retail unit has bene shut since Sunday although sales collapsed well over a week beforehand. I grabbed a load of stock on my way out and am now selling a few bits and pieces on ebay to try and keep some money coming in. Lots of hours and very little money.

I'm waiting to be able to make a claim for one of these grants that are going to be available for business but in the meantime bills still need to be paid and I will run out of money within the next week or so. Aside from impending financial ruin I do have a 4 month old Daughter who's going to be spending a lot more time with Daddy than she's used to so it's not all bad!

clint van damme

My retail unit has bene shut since Sunday although sales collapsed well over a week beforehand. I grabbed a load of stock on my way out and am now selling a few bits and pieces on ebay to try and keep some money coming in. Lots of hours and very little money.

I'm waiting to be able to make a claim for one of these grants that are going to be available for business but in the meantime bills still need to be paid and I will run out of money within the next week or so. Aside from impending financial ruin I do have a 4 month old Daughter who's going to be spending a lot more time with Daddy than she's used to so it's not all bad!

what do you sell?

Ring Of Steel

Currently on a webinar ran by Croydon Council where my company has a construction site- they are saying the furlough scheme is risky as nobody has the fine detail, and there will be criteria on who/ what qualifies, but nobody knows what it is. Govt details way too vague... but in fairness a scheme like this would normally take 12 mths to plan and roll out, they are trying to do it in 3 weeks so it is actually understandable.

ICHAN

Still working on site (electrician) some how we are/have been told to keep 2 metres apart, not easy on site, sort the situation bj for construction and self employed

skyblueinBaku

I've been retired for a few years and live in a small village in Dorset, so life isn't much different for me. Plenty to keep me occupied in the garden (which is big, so a lot of work).

xcraigx

what do you sell?

Greeting cards, party supplies etc. It's as dull as it sounds. The customer base is predominently older so once the Government started asking older people to stay at home sales went south. It's easy enough to list cards on ebay but unsurprisingly there just isn't the demand to bring in more than a few quid a day.

jimmyhillsfanclub

I work alone in my workshop so am currently at work repairing process equipment for an "essential" industry, but the core business is drying up as many of my customers have now shut & I cannot even ship the completed machines back either, so looking at getting some shipping containers delivered for extra storage.

I need to look into the details of whats available to businesses like mine......director/owner/worker of a limited company so self employed by nature, but legally a limited co.

Ring Of Steel

Greeting cards, party supplies etc. It's as dull as it sounds. The customer base is predominently older so once the Government started asking older people to stay at home sales went south. It's easy enough to list cards on ebay but unsurprisingly there just isn't the demand to bring in more than a few quid a day.

Have you got a website?

Mask

I went to the office on Monday but started working from home on Tuesday after the announcement. I'm a CGI artist so my (very small) company can fortunately keep running and complete work remotely. The workflow is a lot quieter though... just need to clients to keep afloat!

shmmeee

Anyone else allowing themselves a little dream where when all this is over millions of people start working from home and the roads are quieter and people more involved in their local communities?

You’ll be quids in with all the “it’s over” parties if you make it through though!

SkyBlueCharlie9

3rd day WFH with wife and my 2 secondary school kids all working on online lessons and holding video calls .... WiFi has been biggest challenge. Loving the weather and kickabouts and cricket in garden at break times. Long long way to go and probably want to kill each other by end of the week.

clint van damme

have you got a 'one week in isolation' anniversary banner?!

Covkid1968#

Been working at home for 1 week now.... hate it. Other half in next room and find myself listening in on her conversations as far more interesting than Higher Education.

W

westcountry_skyblue

Thanks for all your replies lads and lasses,
I work for an Engineering company and have been off since yesterday.
Our owner is trying every loophole to get us back in.
Telling us to go furlough,So he doesn’t have to pay us the extra 20% to make our money up.
So basically trying to rewrite our contracts by email.
Any help would be grateful as to where I stand?
In my contract if he terminated it I’m entitled to 12 weeks severance.
Any help apreciated,As there is nothing in my contract about lay off etc. PUSB STAY SAFE
#Skybluefamily

clint van damme

Thanks for all your replies lads and lasses,
I work for an Engineering company and have been off since yesterday.
Our owner is trying every loophole to get us back in.
Telling us to go furlough,So he doesn’t have to pay us the extra 20% to make our money up.
So basically trying to rewrite our contracts by email.
Any help would be grateful as to where I stand?
In my contract if he terminated it I’m entitled to 12 weeks severance.
Any help apreciated,As there is nothing in my contract about lay off etc. PUSB STAY SAFE
#Skybluefamily

There's some good HR people on here who have helped me with an issue recently.
In the meantime there's lots of stuff about this on the yougov website.
Just had a quick look and it appears to new that if theres nothing in your contract the employers on shaky ground
On phone so would take an age to link. Probably easier if you take a look yourself.
Just Google yougov lay off.

Users who are viewing this thread