Who’s at work/Not at work? (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter westcountry_skyblue
  • Start date

Hobo

After months of trying to persuade my company to let me work from home as I'm the only person based up here I've just had a phone call from one of the directors asking why they're paying £600 a month for an office when I can work at home!

He could save £300 a month and give you a £300 a month pay rise. It would be win win!

Grendel

Currently on a webinar ran by Croydon Council where my company has a construction site- they are saying the furlough scheme is risky as nobody has the fine detail, and there will be criteria on who/ what qualifies, but nobody knows what it is. Govt details way too vague... but in fairness a scheme like this would normally take 12 mths to plan and roll out, they are trying to do it in 3 weeks so it is actually understandable.

Utter nonsense

Grendel

At work, just compiled a dossier for the bosses on all the govt assistance packages, the benefits & issues plus practical steps employers should take, I'm a bit of a guru on all that stuff now when I would rather be watching The Mandalorian at home.

You can see why people (at this stage anyway) are wary of the furlough scheme and choosing to lay people off.

But this is not a knock on the govt, would usually take 12 mths to roll out legislation like this, they're trying to do it in 3 weeks.

it’s estimated 7 million have already committed to the scheme

Grendel

I’m annoyed by ROS and his malicious campaign to try and frighten workers furloughed under the staff retention scheme

Tbe claims the rules are vague, people will not be paid and there will be additional rules placed are malicious lies. The criteria is very clear and most businesses will be laying workers as normal and claiming back funds through the scheme. Many large companies are applying and have had reassurances that the clear and detailed rules of application will not change.

The attempt to create fear and uncertainty in these very difficult times is frankly not acceptable. I do employ people who continue to receive 100% pay and all we have been advised meet the clear and explicit criteria set out by the HMRC

I am genuinely appalled at people on social media who try for some curious warped satisfaction to try and suggest rules will be added and companies will not be paid. There are many in one company in particular who have received the distressing news this weekend they are being furloughed and any suggestion of payment doubt (of which there is no evidence) is a disgrace

chiefdave

Tbe claims the rules are vague, people will not be paid and there will be additional rules placed are malicious lies. The criteria is very clear and most businesses will be laying workers as normal and claiming back funds through the scheme. Many large companies are applying and have had reassurances that the clear and detailed rules of application will not change.
Have you got a link to the actual criteria as I can't find them on the government website which only lists "If you cannot maintain your current workforce because your operations have been severely affected by coronavirus". As I've previously mentioned my company has more work than usual yet has furloughed some staff, myself included, so slightly concerned.

Also how do they apply now? My firm have also said they can't apply yet as the system is not up and running, the government website also says its expected to be ready towards the end of April.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I’m annoyed by ROS and his malicious campaign to try and frighten workers furloughed under the staff retention scheme

The attempt to create fear and uncertainty in these very difficult times is frankly not acceptable. I do employ people who continue to receive 100% pay and all we have been advised meet the clear and explicit criteria set out by the HMRC

I am genuinely appalled at people on social media who try for some curious warped satisfaction to try and suggest rules will be added and companies will not be paid. There are many in one company in particular who have received the distressing news this weekend they are being furloughed and any suggestion of payment doubt (of which there is no evidence) is a disgrace

I've not really looked at the scheme but I do have some questions.

Firstly, how can you 'know' all those using the scheme will be re-imbursed? That can only be confirmed when the money is actually received from the government and it's not like governments before have made promises and then not fulfilled them.

Secondly, if the plan is to reclaim the money from government, if you're furloughing staff due to a lack of money coming in what do you do if your cashflow won't enable you to pay the workers and no other means of short-term funding is available?

Users who are viewing this thread