What Was Your… (1 Viewer)

Ashdown

2-1win away at Spurs to stay up last day of the season.
2-0 win against Wimbledon at Selhurst Park. Nuddy scored 2 and 7,000 City fans filled a whole side of the ground.
There was more like 8000+ City fans as we had loads behind the goal as well.

Calista

Out of interest can anyone remember an exciting 0-0 game?
Epic 0-0 with Liverpool in 1969 at Highfield Road. Seem to remember it rained heavily the whole game, and was a right dong-dong battle from start to finish, with City achieving a priceless point that helped us stay up.

SussexSkyBlue

Question for the slightly older fans amongst you, how does the Notts County 2nd leg atmosphere compared to away games in the 70/80/early 90s

Been to many BIG games as a neutral fan, in both home and away ends. I don't think I've witnessed an atmosphere like it since.

Still gives me goosebumps

ProfessorbyGrace

The 3-2 win over Man Utd at HR.
There was just something unique about that performance, and the 3-2 win over Arsenal in 99-00. I’ve never celebrated a goal like Huckerby’s to make it 3-2 in the last minute, not before or since, it was just absolute pandemonium in HR.

Quite enjoyed this, in my first ever attended football match:

ProfessorbyGrace

The Arsenal game sumo hat trick 3-0 Highbury
The sure game at WHL under Strachan.
I was listening to the game Vs Spurs on CWR, and poor old Rob Gurney couldn’t believe what he was seeing. 🤣 Strachan had unbelievably class, even at 38, and just ran the show that day.

Everyone talks about the cross for the first goal, and the interchange with Darby for the 3rd, but his pace and shimmy that drew the penalty for the 2nd was just top drawer.

rob9872

God, it was cold that night - and we were only in September (I think)
That reminds me - Wycombe away, late McNulty penalty and the coldest I've ever been at a football match. Nearly committed the cardinal sin of leaving early and so glad we stuck it out.

Terry Gibson's perm

I can’t even remember most of the last game I went to so one in 1985 might be a bit difficult. I do remember parts or moments of games like being 12 years old and needing a piss while standing on the kop for the semi final and having to make my way up and back to the point we were at half way in the stand.

ProfessorbyGrace

I can’t even remember most of the last game I went to so one in 1985 might be a bit difficult. I do remember parts or moments of games like being 12 years old and needing a piss while standing on the kop for the semi final and having to make my way up and back to the point we were at half way in the stand.
I have that issue too, mate. It’s the really ‘stand out’ moments that I recall, it’s like bits and pieces in a misty fog. lol

Speedies_Chips

Being at this at the time for some reason stands out - lost always there, Hutchison said we were always frightened to go, expected a pasting and only got it trying to get out the ground

That was the first time I saw City away. Despite my first away game being in 1979!

Speedies_Chips

Our first ever Sunday game vs Blues at HR. What a game that was.

Remember playing Chelsea at HR stood on the Kop, pissing down with rain. Stands out as it was the day the Grand National was called off. Was it the IRA? Can't remember.
I thought our first ever Sunday game was against Derby?

olderskyblue

Question for the slightly older fans amongst you, how does the Notts County 2nd leg atmosphere compared to away games in the 70/80/early 90s

Been to many BIG games as a neutral fan, in both home and away ends. I don't think I've witnessed an atmosphere like it since.

Still gives me goosebumps
Wasn’t at the Notts County game, but big games back in the day always had a great feel about them, and always a big following from city fans. They all seemed brilliant if we won.

Fergusons_Beard

In no particular order
-‘87 Leeds Semi-Literally whole of that kop hugging strangers at FT.
-1990 Wimbledon 0 Coventry 0 (watched the entire game on Ceefax waiting for the page turns and praying for a goal) not to be confused with 2018 0-0 when we had our 1st point back in Div 1 after relegation.
-1985 Cov City 2 Norwich 1. I was 15 & my hero Mick Ferguson scored the winner on loan from Brum that sent Brum down & kept us up on the last day-again! https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2017/may/09/golden-goal-mick-ferguson-coventry-norwich
-2018 Crewe 1 Cov 2-Div 2-snowed like a bastard freezing my tits off but saw Bayliss score a beauty and sat next to McNulty’s father in law , who managed Scottish Highlands side Spartans. Great match brilliant conversations. https://youtu.be/jTS_4mLuG00
-Any of the games against the Sheffield teams when we’ve hammered them. Boxing Day Sean Flynn top corner splash and Oggys goal a particular highlight. Also the time when some of the old GMK (Smiles, LeedsSB and SBSundae to name a few) lot met up in a Sheffield boozer and one of them parked in a garage car park and when they came back it was padlocked!
-Notts County away.
-MK Dons away FA Cup 2018 4th round-Biamou giant killing Literally after that goal the lot went-never seen so many flares and limbs. Beautiful. https://youtu.be/IYeJYCWxp7g
-1989 Man Utd 0 Cov 1 Gary Bannister scores on my first visit to OT in the old Kop behind the goal. My first real experience of ‘casuals’. Never forgotten. https://youtu.be/bHChaaLoW2w
Finally
-Miffy against Manure in the Cup game when the whole of Coventry seemed to be at the game, in the pubs beforehand and celebrating like fuckin nuts during the game-scenes. https://youtu.be/p3tKAYtgujw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Another that sticks in my mind, but not for good reasons, is the Crewe JPT semi. We actually played really well, had loads of chances and lost 3-0. I am still utterly baffled by it. Similarly Sheffield utd FA Cup quarter. Should have won it at a canter but coasted most of the game and they got a late equaliser.

On a better note, Bolton away when we won 5-1.

torchomatic

I thought our first ever Sunday game was against Derby?

You might be right. I've always thought it was the 4-4 Blues match. Memory could be playing tricks on me, I suppose.

torchomatic

A lot of the more positive memorable ones I’ve attended have been mentioned but a few that aren’t so positive but stand out are:

Losing to Charlton 3-2 in the FA Cup after being 2-0 up at home when we were in the Prem and they were League 1 (might have been changed to Championship by then). Just an end to end match and a good crack between the fans with them fuckers singing ‘2 nil down, 3-2 up, we’re gonna win the FA Cup’ as they were leaving.

2-2 at home to Bolton (again I think we might have been 2-0 up) and some ginger lad at the front in the crowd for them having ‘Trevor Cleaver’ chanted at him relentlessly for about 70 minutes.

Losing to Rochdale away in the cup in a completely inept embarrassing performance.

Bradford at home on bonfire night when they brought less than 50 fans and, literally, the biggest cheers were for the fireworks exploding above the ground as it ended in an absolute bore draw of a 0-0.

Getting smashed by Watford at their place (5 something) when I had the worse hangover in history and should have just stayed in bed.

Yeah, I can remember some awful games. Ones that stick in the mind:

- the 5-1 defeat at Filbert Street, Christmas 83 or 84. Only highlight was Bobby Gould running on the pitch for some reason.
-Full Members cup game at Stoke City, around 85/86. Only 16 of us in the away end. Can't remember the result, but it was awful as I went on the Northbound sliproad by mistake.
- midweek defeat in the League Cup at Scarborough
- Sutton Utd debacle
- 4-0 at Cambridge
- 2-0 defeat at FGR when it was pissing down with rain.

Too many others to list.

Robinshio

- the 5-1 defeat at Filbert Street, Christmas 83 or 84. Only highlight was Bobby Gould running on the pitch for some reason.
-Full Members cup game at Stoke City, around 85/86. Only 16 of us in the away end. Can't remember the result, but it was awful as I went on the Northbound sliproad by mistake.
- Sutton Utd debacle
- 4-0 at Cambridge

Too many others to list.
the 5-1 v leicester, we actually outplayed them but a young forward called lineker got a couple for them. Gould ran on the pitch as i think there was a lot of trouble and was trying to calm it down

FGR was one of the worst in recent years but only because i have wiped a couple of the pre MR seasons out of my memory - as the Slade and Thorn eras in particular bring me out in a rash

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Our first ever Sunday game vs Blues at HR. What a game that was.

Remember playing Chelsea at HR stood on the Kop, pissing down with rain. Stands out as it was the day the Grand National was called off. Was it the IRA? Can't remember.
Our first ever Sunday game was in January1974 (memory plays trick with us all)when we were all working a 3 day week against Derby FA cup game.
My favourite game was Sunderland FA cup 1963 the official gate was around 40000 but well more than that were there.We made a great comeback with Goals from Dietmar Bruck and the rock that was George Curtis.What a night that was?

Offhegoes

Villa away 1992, last game of the season. It was us or Luton for the drop, and we were 1 point better off. Luton were at already relegated Notts County. We were 1-0 down after a minute, Cyrille Regis scoring. Worst possible start. We were crap, and Villa scored a 2nd later on in the half. Luckily Luton lost at County somehow and we survived. Dark days under Don Howe those were. Bobby Gould came back for the 1992/1993 season and that was a fun season (Micky Quinn, John Williams etc)

wantageskyblue

I remember so many of the games previously mentioned but one that stands out for me is the 3-1 FA Cup win at Anfield in the 90s. We weren’t planning to go but changed our minds that morning and went up not expecting too much. After Liverpool scored the 1st goal we ran them ragged and could of scored many more and Huckerby was immense that day. I think that was the 1st time I ever saw us win there after being present for several thrashings in the 1980s.

wantageskyblue

Villa away 1992, last game of the season. It was us or Luton for the drop, and we were 1 point better off. Luton were at already relegated Notts County. We were 1-0 down after a minute, Cyrille Regis scoring. Worst possible start. We were crap, and Villa scored a 2nd later on in the half. Luckily Luton lost at County somehow and we survived. Dark days under Don Howe those were. Bobby Gould came back for the 1992/1993 season and that was a fun season (Micky Quinn, John Williams etc)
Good shout. I drove back from university in Kent that morning to be there and stood very quietly on the the Holte all game. Terrible start and yes we were awful and never looked like we could get back in the game - I think a very young and raw Paul Furlong played for us that day. I didn’t know that we had actually stayed up until I got home.

torchomatic

Our first ever Sunday game was in January1974 (memory plays trick with us all)when we were all working a 3 day week against Derby FA cup game.
My favourite game was Sunderland FA cup 1963 the official gate was around 40000 but well more than that were there.We made a great comeback with Goals from Dietmar Bruck and the rock that was George Curtis.What a night that was?

Ah apologies. Maybe, I always thought it was the Blues match. Well, it was MY first ever Sunday game.

olderskyblue

- Sutton Utd debacle
- 4-0 at Cambridge

Too many others to list.
Much easier remembering the successes…

thekidfromstrettoncamp

Ah apologies. Maybe, I always thought it was the Blues match. Well, it was MY first ever Sunday game.
Thanks for that.I probably make more mistake than most on here.
My worst ever games was Kings Lynn but what come after has been great(most of the time)up and down the divisions twice hoping to see the Premiership again before i move on who want to be a MU fan no way nowhere near as interesting

RegTheDonk

Yes this sticks in my mind as Regis became "Judas" for the afternoon, but mailny as there was one chap near us who'd got a radio/headphones and was calmly shaking his head to reassure us every time the Villa crowd cheered (pretending Luton had scored).

Danceswithhorses

Good shout. I drove back from university in Kent that morning to be there and stood very quietly on the the Holte all game. Terrible start and yes we were awful and never looked like we could get back in the game - I think a very young and raw Paul Furlong played for us that day. I didn’t know that we had actually stayed up until I got home.
I was also in the Holte End that day with a mate who was a villa fan....it wasn't difficult to not get excited, as we were gash.
My little radio (with headphones) kept me up to date with the score in the Notts County vs Luton game, which was a mighty relief.

Grendel

Who was the chairman at the time - I’m sure he was interviewed on CW pissed out his skull after the game

torchomatic

Remember an away match Mid 80s. Sure it was Easter Monday. We went to Ipswich away. On the way we stopped at a Little Chef (younger readers should Google it). There were some well-dressed blokes a couple of tables away and it turns out they were directors - they had CCFC blazers on, no idea who they were. Anyway, they said anyone willing to go that far on a Bank Holiday deserves to have their lunch paid for. And, they paid our bill. Fabulous. We lost, I seem to recall.

covcity4life

Was sat behind shay given when Dublin done a number on him 🤣
I always tell people I was there live for that moment. Cos I was but truth be told I wasn't paying attention much like Shay and only turned around to see the ball rolling in!

Most memorable game for me probably beating arsenal 3-2 in 99 with Robbie Keane.

Or beating wolves 2-1 west last min pen save. And stoke in the fa cup upset.

Or losing 3-2 to spurs when sherringham scored a great chip I seem to recall. They wore a purple kit. Actually clearly I don't rmemeber it that well if it's hazy lol.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Surprised nobody mentioned the last game at HR yet. That sticks out song with NC play off 2nd leg, the high scoring and Wembley games already mentioned and some for all the wrong reasons of our many cup humblings by lower league and non league opposition over the years. Used to be a novelty but so many of them now. I don't remember the Kings Lynn debacle, but do so for Sutton, Northampton, Scarborough, Wrexham etc among others.

The last game a Highfield road was one of the saddest moments.

Sad Doctor Who GIF

Users who are viewing this thread