What are you currently listening to? (11 Viewers)

wingy

Been getting hassle off Eon my last electricity supplier, bastards wont give me any peace. Hopefully sorted it out now ? I've been playing the Best Of John Lee Hooker for an hour so subconsciously a bullying power company must have got to me. Great album though ! 🙂
The utilities and beyond truly are bullying with the odds stacked in their favour.

bringbackrattles

The utilities and beyond truly are bullying with the odds stacked in their favour.
Eon are bullies. Had problems with them for a couple of years, they never ease up. Left the flat nearly 7 months now,new providers and no problems. Eon pop up with threats etc, like stalkers ! 😈

Johnnythespider

Been getting hassle off Eon my last electricity supplier, bastards wont give me any peace. Hopefully sorted it out now ? I've been playing the Best Of John Lee Hooker for an hour so subconsciously a bullying power company must have got to me. Great album though ! 🙂
I have a best of by him, i think "No Shoes" is the best blues track ever

bringbackrattles

Yes, loved the place. Sweat, beer, and rock'n'roll. What could be better?
One of the best nights in there was a New Years Eve. Me and my then missus and a few mates were there to see Dumpy's Rusty Nuts, a great blues/rock band. The place was packed,so much so they had to stop people from coming in after about 10o'clock but we were then till gone midnight. They did loads of cover versions,you shouted a song out and they did it, but did some of their own stuff too. Left the venue on a high and a night that has lived long in the memory.

Grendel

For some reason I’m listening to Deliver us from Evil the most absurd Budgie album - why was it even called that and where is the budgie on the album cover

Kneeza

One of the best nights in there was a New Years Eve. Me and my then missus and a few mates were there to see Dumpy's Rusty Nuts, a great blues/rock band. The place was packed,so much so they had to stop people from coming in after about 10o'clock but we were then till gone midnight. They did loads of cover versions,you shouted a song out and they did it, but did some of their own stuff too. Left the venue on a high and a night that has lived long in the memory.
Might've been there. Have seen Dumpy's a few times (mostly at bike bashes). Proper biker band.

bringbackrattles

Might've been there. Have seen Dumpy's a few times (mostly at bike bashes). Proper biker band.
Some snobby music critics liked to write sarcastic stuff about them, but the band had a good hardcore following. They supported Hawkwind and Motorhead so not bad for a band slated by some so called music papers.

Grendel

Some snobby music critics liked to write sarcastic stuff about them, but the band had a good hardcore following. They supported Hawkwind and Motorhead so not bad for a band slated by some so called music papers.

Have you ever bought an album from only once listening to a support band? I did once. Some random group called Grand Prix supported Iron Maiden and I purchased the album Samurai.

bringbackrattles

Have you ever bought an album from only once listening to a support band? I did once. Some random group called Grand Prix supported Iron Maiden and I purchased the album Samurai.
Not so much a support band,but I went through a phase in the 70's liking Captain Beefheart music, and from that I liked the Edgar Broughton Band as they sounded similar. They hailed locally from Warwick and I bought the single Out Demons Out, and still like this song today. Never saw them live though, but they had a hardcore following who had a reputation for causing trouble at gigs !

Kneeza

Not so much a support band,but I went through a phase in the 70's liking Captain Beefheart music, and from that I liked the Edgar Broughton Band as they sounded similar. They hailed locally from Warwick and I bought the single Out Demons Out, and still like this song today. Never saw them live though, but they had a hardcore following who had a reputation for causing trouble at gigs !
Bought my first two EBB albums the day after seeing them at Chesford Grange in about '72 (Sing Brother Sing, and the eponymous 'meat' album. The latter being the best they did IMO).
They weren't support as such though.
The only support band one I bought having seen them live for the first time was Indian Summer's one and only album, after seeing them open for Free at the Lanch SU. Still love it.

Sbarcher

Bought my first two EBB albums the day after seeing them at Chesford Grange in about '72 (Sing Brother Sing, and the eponymous 'meat' album. The latter being the best they did IMO).
The only support band one I bought having seen them live for the first time was Indian Summer's one and only album, after seeing them open for Free at the Lanch SU. Still love it.
I'm pretty sure EBB were the support act to Black Sabbath at the old Pavilllion in the Jephson Gardens in Leamington.

bringbackrattles

Have you ever
Did you ever get to see a band called The Hamsters ? A mate of mine was a big fan of theirs for years, but I'd never heard of them. Anyway some years ago they did a set at the Beer Engine pub in Coventry, and they were great live that night. They were a blues/rock band, and messed about a lot on stage. Found out they liked pubs and small venues, which many bands over the years seem to favour.

Kneeza

Have you ever

Did you ever get to see a band called The Hamsters ? A mate of mine was a big fan of theirs for years, but I'd never heard of them. Anyway some years ago they did a set at the Beer Engine pub in Coventry, and they were great live that night. They were a blues/rock band, and messed about a lot on stage. Found out they liked pubs and small venues, which many bands over the years seem to favour.
Yep. Proper pub rock band. Blues-based, as you say. Saw them a few times, once at the Moorbarns near Lutterworth on the A5. Now a swingers venue. So I'm told ;)

Kneeza

Oh yes. Also saw Feelgood there post-Wilko, with Steve Walwyn on lead. Southam lad, still touring with the DTs, and a couple more bands including with Horace Panter.
Also saw Johnny Mars there (Mars, not Marr ;) ). Excellent American blues harpist.
A few others too. Good little venue in its day.

Kneeza

I'm pretty sure EBB were the support act to Black Sabbath at the old Pavilllion in the Jephson Gardens in Leamington.
Just asked Edgar, and he confirms that - no, they never played there with Sabbath, although of course they did play there several times.

wingy

Just asked Edgar, and he confirms that - no, they never played there with Sabbath, although of course they did play there several times.
Ask him if he ever played Berkswell British Legion?

Edit:- pretty sure they did Early 70's as dad was secretary and sure they had cope with a bit of trouble that night.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread