West brom attendance (3 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

I disagree with you , but this could go on all day .

If we were in the Premier league today we wouldn't be averaging 20k home fans , it would be sold out nion every week .. such is the demand for Premier league football these days

Besides even if 20k was our championship ceiling , it's bloody good for 2nd tier football
I'd love you to be right on this about the Premier league but I fear we'd drop away after the first season on attendances if we went back to relegation fodder and given the extortionate admission costs. Other clubs seem to weather it but we don't.

Sky Blue Harry H

I've said it before about them, in terms of numbers, great support, in terms of getting behind their team, dreadful.

Fantastic numbers. They have had quite a few years of dross, which given their resources must be frustrating for them, Incompetence from the board and managers.

Sky Blue Harry H

I'd love you to be right on this about the Premier league but I fear we'd drop away after the first season on attendances if we went back to relegation fodder and given the extortionate admission costs. Other clubs seem to weather it but we don't.

If we were to have used any PL income wisely we ought to be set to establish ourselves as a top end Championship club. Attendances should then stabilise. Those that have failed to use the money wisely - Stoke and Sunderland to name two clubs - have suffered, whereas clubs like Norwich and West Brom have been prudent and have a more stable model.

COV

“We don’t”- it’s never happened to us sinc the Premier League became what it is now, so how do you know?

Peter Billing Eyes

It certainly is. Ipswich are another club that have a good hardcore support.
I'm not sure how Brighton get such big gates but fair play to them .

Some of the teams being mentioned represent towns and cities where football is the exclusive focus for spectator sports. Coventry has always had numerous sports teams scrapping for local support at various times.
Rugby Union, Rugby League, Speedway, Ice Hockey, Basketball etc. - they don’t all play at the same time of the year, but in a blue collar city, folks don‘t necessarily have the spare cash to follow more than one sport, year round.
Also, Coventry has always been a diverse place where family roots aren’t necessarily as dedicated to the city as you might find in other places. And Coventrians are pretty forgiving of none-sky blue supporting natives whereas some other cities seem to be far more partisan?

Gynnsthetonic

Sunderland historically has a massive fan base, Ipswich is fairly isolated from other footballing towns so brings a lot of fans in from surrounding areas, there's a lot of teams in our area!

Sky Blue Harry H

Sunderland historically has a massive fan base, Ipswich is fairly isolated from other footballing towns so brings a lot of fans in from surrounding areas, there's a lot of teams in our area!

Yep - I'm just pleased that with the current set up we will have captured a new generation of youngsters who should follow the club like the rest of us on here.

pusbccfc

The ticket prices wouldn't be that high.

pusbccfc

I reckon we'd charge around 350. The club would be desperate to sell the ground out every week. As others have said, the income from tickets would be a tiny percentage of income.

Attachments

• JW-PREM-SEASON-TICKETS-2021-22-V2.jpg
    JW-PREM-SEASON-TICKETS-2021-22-V2.jpg
    983.3 KB · Views: 55

COV

It’s not the area that helps Ipswich as much as their history- Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson, League Champions, won the FA Cup, won a European tournament- that counts for a lot.

Gynnsthetonic

It’s not the area that helps Ipswich as much as their history- Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson, League Champions, won the FA Cup, won a European tournament- that counts for a lot.
Preston,Bolton and Blackpool used to be successful but don't get the crowds like they used to because there is a lot of teams up there, like I said not many other teams near Ipswich

Porkchophill

I don’t know what people expect , we are a club starved of success for decades , with devisive owners also on the tail end of a pandemic and we’ve got the largest home and away followings we’ve had in decades . Wasn’t that long ago I couldn’t give a match ticket away . Fills me with pride when I see so many kids running round in CFCC kits and merchandise , would have to go back to premier days to recall seeing so many familiar faces and kids buying into the club , passion for the club is back and I’m loving every minute of it

Cov kid 55

Geography and history definitely plays a part as the post relating to Ipswich states. Norwich, a club we are some times compared with in terms of size, are another good example. Their nearest competition is Ipswich, 40 miles to the south, so you have to get to Diss, 20 miles southof Norwich, where the majority of people still support the Canaries, but where you do start to see Ipswich fans. Going west, you have to travel as far as Nottingham/Peterborough to find a professional football team, which means that Kings Lynn, 45 miles away to the west, and everywhere in between, is solidly Norwich. To the north and east, is the North Sea! So they have 20,000 plus season ticket holders, and sell their ground out every week. 20 miles west of Cov, you could support Brum, Villa or West Brom, 15 miles north and it’s Leicester. Although our city is significantly bigger than Norwich, our catchment area isn’t as strong.

COV

Just for balance, on the 14th September 1985 at Villa Pk only 12.198 watched Villa 1 - 1 City.

Football now is unrecognisable now to how it was then, and even the 90s

This assertion that we’ll only ever peak at 20k and using events of 20+ years ago to support that view is rubbish

Gynnsthetonic

Just for balance, on the 14th September 1985 at Villa Pk only 12.198 watched Villa 1 - 1 City.
Was that when Paul Culpin scored, we had a good following that day too,! I went 1983 stood on the Holte End with my dad we got thrashed 4-0, couldn't of been more than 500 city there we just had the end corner pen which was very sparse, only 20000 there as well and not long after Villa's title and European triumph too!

Gynnsthetonic

Football now is unrecognisable now to how it was then, and even the 90s

This assertion that we’ll only ever peak at 20k and using events of 20+ years ago to support that view is rubbish
In the last 40 years we have rarely had 20k+ home fans at matches, let's hope that it changes, it certainly hasn't so far this season!

fernandopartridge

There is a new account on YouTube that shows Cov games from the 80s, it showed one late in the season in 84 where the gate was Villa's lowest of the season and it looked like less than 1k Cov there, gate was 15k

COV

I didn't compare it to anything!

So it’s not poor then.

There’s just some people that seem determined to think that were a small club, we’ll never have many fans, and the things that have happened to every single other club that has had success would not apply to us because we have a ‘ceiling’. You’re just one of those guys, and if that’s your view then more power to you. Does betray a complete lack of understanding of what football is now however.

Hertsccfc

Was that when Paul Culpin scored, we had a good following that day too,! I went 1983 stood on the Holte End with my dad we got thrashed 4-0, couldn't of been more than 500 city there we just had the end corner pen which was very sparse, only 20000 there as well and not long after Villa's title and European triumph too!
I think it was. I remember that Culpin goal. Was it his debut? Think he only scored one more.

Gynnsthetonic

So it’s not poor then.

There’s just some people that seem determined to think that were a small club, we’ll never have many fans, and the things that have happened to every single other club that has had success would not apply to us because we have a ‘ceiling’. You’re just one of those guys, and if that’s your view then more power to you. Does betray a complete lack of understanding of what football is now however.
Who said we're a small club, who said we'll never have many fans,. We've one of the most successful spells in our history, one cup final win at Wembley,one play off win at Wembley, league title win and now top 6 of the championship, we still can't get 20k home fans in through the gates at the minute, like I said I hope it changes!
It doesn't betray a complete lack of understanding at all in my view thanks!

Last edited:

COV

Didn't say we're a small club,

Who said we're a small club, who said we'll never have many fans,. We've one of the most successful spells in our history, one cup final win at Wembley,one play off win at Wembley, league title win and now top 6 of the championship, we still can't get 20k home fans in through the gates at the minute, like I said I hope it changes!
It doesn't betray a complete lack of understanding at all in my view thanks!

It sure does. Check out every other club in what I’d call ‘our bracket’.

Gynnsthetonic

It sure does. Check out every other club in what I’d call ‘our bracket’.
Middlesbrough, Southampton, Norwich, Derby, Forest, Cardiff, Leicester, Ipswich, West Brom, Birmingham, Brighton would all have more than 20k home fans tomorrow if in our position!

Users who are viewing this thread