Welcome to Sky Blues Talk!

You're currently viewing the forum as a guest. Join thousands of fellow Coventry City fans today!

We look poor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 7943
  • Start date Start date
I didn't realise Lampard was a miracle worker, FFS, judge him after he brings in his own players in.
 
Think the players’ fitness is way off for how he ideally wants us to play. For that reason, give him the summer and a strenuous pre-season and hopefully we see meaningful change.
 
Can you quote / link to these posts? Yeah you got some likes from people still crying about Robins, but actually quote them.

It's actually quite weird how much shit gets made up because people are still sore about Robins going.
Amen
 
Madness for anyone to want FL and the new coaches gone after 9 games, he's been without the Clubs top scorer for all of his (short) time here and he's said on numerous occasions he has wanted all of the squad to have some minutes in games to properly assess them (hence he started Kitching & Jamie Allen at Norwich)....on balance he's doing ok (imo).
Give him time to bring some of his own signings in before passing judgement.
 
Last edited:
Think the players’ fitness is way off for how he ideally wants us to play. For that reason, give him the summer and a strenuous pre-season and hopefully we see meaningful change.
Down to a military camp close season?
 
Just for balance, if we did sack him. A who would you want? And B Would you be happy at the cost to the club impacting signings?
 
Just for balance, if we did sack him. A who would you want? And B Would you be happy at the cost to the club impacting signings?

Any actual football manager with a record and yes. Though as it was a Doug King vanity hire he should front the cost.
 
Any actual football manager with a record and yes. Though as it was a Doug King vanity hire he should front the cost.
I mean define actual and record. Understand the concerns but unlike a lot of managers suggested included by myself he has got the record of taking a side predicted to finish sixith to a playoff final. Isn’t that the plan for us?
 
I mean define actual and record. Understand the concerns but unlike a lot of managers suggested included by myself he has got the record of taking a side predicted to finish sixith to a playoff final. Isn’t that the plan for us?

One that goes like this 📈 and not like this 📉
 
My issue with Lampard is he’s never overachieved wherever he’s been he’s done about what you’d expect if not slightly worse. And he’s spent a lot to do that.

We aren’t a rich club, we need a manager who can get more than the sum of our parts and not just be a figurehead.
 
A record like a playoff finish in the championship and top 4 in the premier league?

With teams that had spent a lot and were expected to be there. In Chelsea’s case they finished higher before and after him, it wasn’t an achievement.
 
With teams that had spent a lot and were expected to be there. In Chelsea’s case they finished higher before and after him, it wasn’t an achievement.
Transfer ban and lost by far their best player in hazard, his first season was a success.

Anyway doesn't change the fact that sacking him now would be absurd.
 
Transfer ban and lost by far their best player in hazard, his first season was a success.

Anyway doesn't change the fact that sacking him now would be absurd.
I’m looking forward to seeing who he brings in, but you can’t list him doing well with a transfer ban if we can’t criticise his performances here because he doesn’t have his own team
 
My issue with Lampard is he’s never overachieved wherever he’s been he’s done about what you’d expect if not slightly worse. And he’s spent a lot to do that.

We aren’t a rich club, we need a manager who can get more than the sum of our parts and not just be a figurehead.
I disagree on the premise.

With Derby, I’d agree that they were predicted to finish sixith but to get to the playoff final beating Marcos Leeds was an achievement.

With Chelsea, first year they were predicted to finish sixith however finished fourth and got into a FA Cup Final. Source on prediction Your Premier League predictions: How your table for 2019-20 looks - BBC Sport

The next season was not great although part of me thinks Covid derailed them a bit in December but that squad was improved from when he took over and eventually won the Cl while not under him.

Everton was a train wreck but if you look at PPG, Sean who is seen as a competent manager hasn’t really improved it that much.

I agree on the point but he has a good track record at getting a lot from younger lads which fits our model quite well. Time will tell but I do think it’s harsh to write him off when arguably our best manager was struggling to get a job when he came back with the graph looking very much like this 📉
 
I’m looking forward to seeing who he brings in, but you can’t list him doing well with a transfer ban if we can’t criticise his performances here because he doesn’t have his own team
He did have a preseason tho which is massive for a manager to impart tactics and work with the lads before a very heavy schedule.
 
Transfer ban and lost by far their best player in hazard, his first season was a success.

Anyway doesn't change the fact that sacking him now would be absurd.
If he’s not the guy he’s not the guy. Time won’t change that.
 
I disagree on the premise.

With Derby, I’d agree that they were predicted to finish sixith but to get to the playoff final beating Marcos Leeds was an achievement.

With Chelsea, first year they were predicted to finish sixith however finished fourth and got into a FA Cup Final. Source on prediction Your Premier League predictions: How your table for 2019-20 looks - BBC Sport

The next season was not great although part of me thinks Covid derailed them a bit in December but that squad was improved from when he took over and eventually won the Cl while not under him.

Everton was a train wreck but if you look at PPG, Sean who is seen as a competent manager hasn’t really improved it that much.

I agree on the point but he has a good track record at getting a lot from younger lads which fits our model quite well. Time will tell but I do think it’s harsh to write him off when arguably our best manager was struggling to get a job when he came back with the graph looking very much like this 📉

I can accept the argument we needed a motivator and a tactician and Robins and his new team wasn’t that, I think he’d have turned it around but I can accept that.

What I can’t accept is that given that Lampard is the answer.
 
I don't think he should be sacked and he deserves time, but I do agree agree with shmmeee's point about hiring a manager with a record of improving teams, which is why I didn't want Lampard in the first place.

The whole point of replacing a manager is to improve results, so it seems odd to then hire a manager who's previous jobs have seen his teams basically stand still with no improvement or even get worse.

He took Derby from 6th to 6th.
He took Chelsea from 3rd to 4th.
He took Everton from 16th to 19th.

It's not exactly the CV of someone known for coming in and improving a team and improving results is it?

Maybe this will be the job he does exactly that, and I really hope it is.
 
I can accept the argument we needed a motivator and a tactician and Robins and his new team wasn’t that, I think he’d have turned it around but I can accept that.

What I can’t accept is that given that Lampard is the answer.
Not saying he is the answer, I’m saying he could be the answer.

If not, we’ll have to go around the roundabout again but genuinely think he needs at least a preseason to look what he wants to build.
 
Not saying he is the answer, I’m saying he could be the answer.

If not, we’ll have to go around the roundabout again but genuinely think he needs at least a preseason to look what he wants to build.

I think it’s madness to waste a season and the last of our cash on it tbh. I don’t see why you’d throw money at a manager in the hope he’ll become a better manager.

It might have worked. Him sat watching sky sports for a year might have made him some elite tactician, but clearly it hasn’t.
 
I think it’s madness to waste a season and the last of our cash on it tbh. I don’t see why you’d throw money at a manager in the hope he’ll become a better manager.

It might have worked. Him sat watching sky sports for a year might have made him some elite tactician, but clearly it hasn’t.
That first bit struck me, isn’t that the hope for any manager.

When I talk about Evatt or yourself with Bloomfield both are league one’s managers who with money and time I’d hope to become a success likewise with players.

I mean look at Mark, he’s a much better manager now than when he first came due to the experiences

Obviously there’s managers who come with pedigree and are already there but most are coming down like you’ve pointed out with the graphs.
 
I think it’s madness to waste a season and the last of our cash on it tbh. I don’t see why you’d throw money at a manager in the hope he’ll become a better manager.

It might have worked. Him sat watching sky sports for a year might have made him some elite tactician, but clearly it hasn’t.
Eirik Horneland really is an elite tactician we could have tried. Pity that Lampard was a shoe in.
 
I don't think he should be sacked and he deserves time, but I do agree agree with shmmeee's point about hiring a manager with a record of improving teams, which is why I didn't want Lampard in the first place.

The whole point of replacing a manager is to improve results, so it seems odd to then hire a manager who's previous jobs have seen his teams basically stand still with no improvement or even get worse.

He took Derby from 6th to 6th.
He took Chelsea from 3rd to 4th.
He took Everton from 16th to 19th.

It's not exactly the CV of someone known for coming in and improving a team and improving results is it?

Maybe this will be the job he does exactly that, and I really hope it is.

I agree with Shmmeee is your mantra on here - which is appropriate as he is a dribbling lunatic
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom