Match Thread Watford FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 9th Mar (1 Viewer)

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Remember having these kinds of arguments about Southgate's England plenty of times. Good results are obviously enjoyable but aren't sustainable if they're coming off unconvincing performances.

yeah, although the counter argument is that Burnley pissed it last season playing attractive football and looking like Brazil at times, but if you’ve watched them at all this season they look dog shit

yes it’s a different league, and you have to adapt etc, but the point is it’s not how you get there that matters, and in fact scrappers also probably stand a better chance (Luton this season)

Martin180

Should have been well behind until that good bit of play to earn the penalty, then it was so-so up to Wright's very well taken goal and we created some more openings. Just felt that the system we're playing is making our work more difficult across the pitch.

We don't need to be spectacular at this stage of the season to get over the line, but we do need to be much more solid at the back than we have been in the last few months.
I said earlier in this thread that Bidwell aside we still have a very inexperienced back 5/6 for this league

Martin180

yeah, although the counter argument is that Burnley pissed it last season playing attractive football and looking like Brazil at times, but if you’ve watched them at all this season they look dog shit

yes it’s a different league, and you have to adapt etc, but the point is it’s not how you get there that matters, and in fact scrappers also probably stand a better chance (Luton this season)
It's a mentality thing as well , something that Robins creates with every side he has created while he has been with us

fernandopartridge

Should have been well behind until that good bit of play to earn the penalty, then it was so-so up to Wright's very well taken goal and we created some more openings. Just felt that the system we're playing is making our work more difficult across the pitch.

We don't need to be spectacular at this stage of the season to get over the line, but we do need to be much more solid at the back than we have been in the last few months.

We've been ok at the back insofar as not conceding big chances. Our problems today were broader than at the back.

This is interesting, we're performing well in various metrics

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Brighton Sky Blue

I'm not on about the type of football being played, just the manner of the performances. Since Leicester we haven't been that convincing, and I strongly suspect part of that's down to the squad struggling under the intensity of the schedule and training that MR wants to put them through.

We built our playoff challenge last season on a mean defence to complement the cyborg leading the line and Hamer's renaissance in midfield. Wright and Simms might be able to build something as a partnership up front but we've been leaking really sloppy goals for the last few months.

It's a false comparison though, Southgate has got tools at his disposal what we don't

Sheaf and Torp might as well be Bellingham and Rice tbf

Martin180

We've been ok at the back insofar as not conceding big chances. Our problems today were broader than at the back.

Some of the passing stats are eye opening , especially long balls which were our forte last season

Chris1987

Yeah, we basically had two 10 minute spells, and Watford dominated the other 70 minutes. But all that matters is the 3 points.

Yes Watford had a lot of the ball but did fuck all with it . Largely they were kept well away from our goal.

Brighton Sky Blue

This is fair, though I have said my broader issue with 5 ATB formations is that you just end up under siege with 3 attacking players being expected to work off scraps. We needed the best midfielder and forward in the league to make it work last season and it just doesn't suit what we have this time.

Wright and Simms might strike up a good partnership to give it a better chance of succeeding but by and large today we looked ponderous going forward and porous defensively.

Martin180

This is fair, though I have said my broader issue with 5 ATB formations is that you just end up under siege with 3 attacking players being expected to work off scraps. We needed the best midfielder and forward in the league to make it work last season and it just doesn't suit what we have this time.

Wright and Simms might strike up a good partnership to give it a better chance of succeeding but by and large today we looked ponderous going forward and porous defensively.
What else can we do currently though ? I'm not a huge fan of it but I'd rather it than JDs or MvE on the wings

Brighton Sky Blue

What else can we do currently though ? I'm not a huge fan of it but I'd rather it than JDs or MvE on the wings
As it is we kind of need MVE and Bidwell/JD to play aggressively on the wings anyway to avoid the 3 attacking players getting isolated. Having a third centre back is just weakening us further up the pitch without adding extra strength at the back. I'd sooner see us try to make an alternate 4 at the back system viable with what we've got than return to something we know just doesn't suit these players either.

Irish Sky Blue

City fans class with the kids pens then 🤣🤣🤣🤣 when the keeper missed and looked up at the cov fans 😂😂
I didn’t think it was class. Great the cheering and applause for the team in red. However, what you are talking about are grown men and women jeering and making fun of a primary school kid because he was upset about missing a penalty. Was there really a need to chant ‘You’re gonna cry in a minute’ at him? Imagine if that boy was one of your children and received that sort of treatment? Some of the people who follow us away could do with taking a look art themselves and the way they behave.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Your weird dislike of sheaf is boring as fuck mate

You're getting upset at people for being negative but at the same time screaming the thread down.

You've clearly had a few to drink looking at your posts in the last couple of hours. Chill out and enjoy the win.

Martin180

You're getting upset at people for being negative but at the same time screaming the thread down.

You've clearly had a few to drink looking at your posts in the last couple of hours. Chill out and enjoy the win.

Vanessa Lachey Hawaii GIF by CBS

Warwickhunt

Ismael Valarian sacked after our game do hopefully they bounce back against WBA and Hull

Briles

Ohar
Sheaf is so good. So glad he’s back.

He is. And there’s a certain poster on here called who’s username is “sheaf is god” created when sheaf used to get pelters

Bad Boy

They have actually had Ismael all season thus far which is an age by their standards - although I reckon he is on the brink

They must be so embarrassed they bombed Edwards out and he took their biggest rivals to the Premier League
I see he's been sacked.

eastwoodsdustman

Never going Watford again, no beer in the ground fucking waste of time.
That was because loads of idiots embarrassed themselves drinking it all yesterday. It was like a 16th birthday party with people being sick and falling over then sleeping where they fell.
I really can’t see the attraction of being so pissed that i’m asleep on the stairs after 5 minutes.
We really do have some dregs following us at times.

Balli001

I didn’t think it was class. Great the cheering and applause for the team in red. However, what you are talking about are grown men and women jeering and making fun of a primary school kid because he was upset about missing a penalty. Was there really a need to chant ‘You’re gonna cry in a minute’ at him? Imagine if that boy was one of your children and received that sort of treatment? Some of the people who follow us away could do with taking a look art themselves and the way they behave.
It was light hearted. A lot of our fans were singing it. I suggest you go on a hunt for the sense of humour you appear to have lost.

eastwoodsdustman

It was light hearted. A lot of our fans were singing it. I suggest you go on a hunt for the sense of humour you appear to have lost.
Life lesson for him. He was playing up to their crowd beforehand and giving Cov fans some so he was fair game🤣. The girl in the other team was decent in goal too!

Deity

I didn't call them all shit though did i?

And i still maintain we arent good enough to make it, no Tats and no players brought in in January is what will cost us
Every supporter would have accepted our current position at the start of the season. Simms and Hadji may not be in Vik’s league but you can’t argue they are not making a very material contribution:

Ashdown

The big difference between the Prem and the Champ is the ability of the strikers. Watfords forwards were awful and lazy, whoever Wolves play up front will be a lot sharper and more willing.

SkyBlueCharlie9

Hideous performance, great 3 points. A point off 6th after a dodgy few weeks isn't to be sniffed at.

As an aside, I think the performances started going downhill after the Sheffield Wednesday issue. Obviously a very serious incident, and it rightly got press attention, but from a footballing perspective I think it was a distraction from the task at hand.
Utter bollox. Are you saying in a roundabout way we were wrong to stand up, condemn SWFC fan and support Palmer? Classic right wing tactic.

Gibbo

It looked to me from a cursory inspection that by and large we are lower than our position in most tables

Users who are viewing this thread