Match Thread Watford FC - Coventry City Match Thread - Saturday 9th Mar (2 Viewers)

Tommo1993

Home.

Really poor goal to concede, pretty sure it looked a foul throw - which most throws seem to be these days. Have they abolished the rule?
Agree with the subs. Kelly was one more late decision from being off, Eccles was having a torrid time at RWB and Torp didn’t put a foot right all game, heard he’s pulled his glute?

Don’t think Watford are a particularly bad team, they’ve some really good players. Midfield especially good but when bearing down on goal they seemed devoid of ideas.

That’s a really good 3pts. The Sheaf Belief shone through!

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

That’s a great win. Reading this thread back it’s unbelievable. Watching live I struggle to see what those posters moaning early on were watching! Knee jerk is never the way to go.

Robins made decent changes at the right time, but before that we were struggling - Liam Kelly against a team that isn’t league one standard is going to struggle, he was awful today, and Eccles struggled a bit at RWB, possibly because Kelly was so bad?

Palmer was also less effective today, although I do think we need to persist with him above COH

different game after half time, and as much as Robins has to take blame when he gets it wrong, he obviously got it right in his half time team talk onwards….

one thing though, 5-2-3-1 isn’t our best formation

Bad Boy

Didn’t look off to me

Home.

Really poor goal to concede, pretty sure it looked a foul throw - which most throws seem to be these days. Have they abolished the rule?
Agree with the subs. Kelly was one more late decision from being off, Eccles was having a torrid time at RWB and Torp didn’t put a foot right all game, heard he’s pulled his glute?

Don’t think Watford are a particularly bad team, they’ve some really good players. Midfield especially good but when bearing down on goal they seemed devoid of ideas.

That’s a really good 3pts. The Sheaf Belief shone through!
Yep, really pisses me off watching foul throw ins going unpunished and not being taken where the ball goes out of play.
And before anyone jumps in to defend the persistent stealing of yards/metres practise at throws ins by saying it doesn't matter, well then let's move the penalty spot closer when it suits eh!

Martin180

Robins made decent changes at the right time, but before that we were struggling - Liam Kelly against a team that isn’t league one standard is going to struggle, he was awful today, and Eccles struggled a bit at RWB, possibly because Kelly was so bad?

Palmer was also less effective today, although I do think we need to persist with him above COH

different game after half time, and as much as Robins has to take blame when he gets it wrong, he obviously got it right in his half time team talk onwards….

And it's illegal

skybluecam

That’s a great win. Reading this thread back it’s unbelievable. Watching live I struggle to see what those posters moaning early on were watching! Knee jerk is never the way to go.
It was a relatively poor performance though. Not sustainable if we want to reach the playoffs.

napolimp

What nonsense , it was only a year ago we were scraping 1-0 after 1-0 playing an 8-2 formation

We did look vulnerable in the first half, but I'm questioning whether that was the set-up or the way the players started the match. We do appear to have a habit of growing into games.

SBbucks

I’m not sure 5-2-3-1 is anyone’s best formation with 11 outfield players.

It was actually 5-2-1-2 or 3-4-1-2, whichever way you want to say it.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Milan Vanearwig substitution stopped em dead in their tracks he closed off their left hand side and with it any chance they had of getting something out of the game

God save the king 👑 long live the Robins. 👑

skybluecam

What nonsense , it was only a year ago we were scraping 1-0 after 1-0 playing an 8-2 formation
It’s not though, they were all over us for 40 mins and for large parts of the second half. A better team would’ve been out of sight.

Largely due to the central midfield partnership I think though. Sheaf will be a boost, and should give us more control.

Martin180

We did look vulnerable in the first half, but I'm questioning whether that was the set-up or the way the players started the match. We do appear to have a habit of growing into games.
It's the stage of the season where all squads are tired/have injuries . Added to that you've got half the table fighting a relegation battle , so I'm happy with any sort of win .
Momentum is key

Martin180

It’s not though, they were all over us for 40 mins and for large parts of the second half. A better team would’ve been out of sight.

Largely due to the central midfield partnership I think though. Sheaf will be a boost, and should give us more control.
Robins has always made sure we are good defensively and we finish games strongly .
Performances are largely irrelevant at this stage of the season

stupot07

Yeah, we basically had two 10 minute spells, and Watford dominated the other 70 minutes. But all that matters is the 3 points.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Macca

We do. Often it’s a case of getting through the dodgy first 15 mins as to how successful the result ends up. I mean we even gave that bloody awful Rotherham team a way back at 1-0

napolimp

Robins has always made sure we are good defensively and we finish games strongly .
Performances are largely irrelevant at this stage of the season

Absolutely. And all games are going to be tough from here on out. Huddersfield is going to be tough, they've been picking up some impressive results at home lately. Cardiff are in great form, even though they don't pick up wins away at teams in the top half of the table. And even though the Leeds game looks difficult on paper, they've only won half their games on the road.

Brighton Sky Blue

The opposition game plan now does seem quite deliberately to try and go hell for leather and knock us out of the game before we grow into it. Which is fine if they can do it, but means they'll get picked off if they can't.

Martin180

Absolutely. And all games are going to be tough from here on out. Huddersfield is going to be tough, they've been picking up some impressive results at home lately. Cardiff are in great form, even though they don't pick up wins away at teams in the top half of the table. And even though the Leeds game looks difficult on paper, they've only won half their games on the road.
We haven't got an easy game left in my opinion . We could easily lose to Cardiff but beat Southampton at this point of the season

Brighton Sky Blue

We haven't got an easy game left in my opinion . We could easily lose to Cardiff but beat Southampton at this point of the season
Fitness and nerves will only have a bigger impact on results from now on. Our defence has to improve massively anyway, just shipping poor goals week after week and having to rescue games from conceding first really doesn't help.

Martin180

Fitness and nerves will only have a bigger impact on results from now on. Our defence has to improve massively anyway, just shipping poor goals week after week and having to rescue games from conceding first really doesn't help.
We're set up to be more attacking though . Last season we could lump it up to Vik and let him or Gus do the work . This season its more progressive and leaves us more open . Kitching will play a very important part in the run in for me

Users who are viewing this thread