Wasps going into admin & the impact on CCFC (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybluetony176

A friend told me a while ago that the Coventry Building Society was thrilled with the money they paid for the stadium naming rights. Not very much money at all.

It does seem that the stadium naming for money bubble has burst. Not sure West Ham have ever gotten a sponsor for the Olympic stadium. If a Premier League football club can’t get a sponsor for an iconic stadium in London It’s not surprising Wasps couldn’t command a lot of money for the Ricoh.

NorthernWisdom

As I said earlier, you can dislike Wasps because of how they helped to bail out the council and stop us getting control of our own stadium. I certainly wouldn’t shed any tears if they went under for that reason.

What I don’t get is the pearl clutching about the horror - the horror! - of a rugby team deciding to move cities, and the way it impacted CRFC. Those are simply two things that I could never give a solitary shit about (especially compared to the long term wellbeing of CCFC). But here we are with pages of posts about just that. I think we’d be wiser to keep our eyes on the prize of what happens next with the stadium and the ownership of CCFC - some people (@NorthernWisdom) apparently are already drawing red lines on that because they despise Wasps so much. Sorry - I can’t find it in myself to care that much about any rugby team.
Well I do give a shit, the same as rugby League debases itself with Hull and Huddersfield 'continuing' with imported clubs.

Sorry.

SkyBlueSam01

This was the original posted in August...

Seeing it made quite an impression on me as I distinctly remember going straight to the kitchen and trying to cut my eyes out with a bread knife

Fortunately the amount of vomit I had produced rendered the bread knife too slippery to use

malkitccfc

It does seem that the stadium naming for money bubble has burst. Not sure West Ham have ever gotten a sponsor for the Olympic stadium. If a Premier League football club can’t get a sponsor for an iconic stadium in London It’s not surprising Wasps couldn’t command a lot of money for the Ricoh.
West Ham have this week been offered stadium naming rights by their landlords

MAFF

"Perhaps someone can help me figure out how to talk to my 11 year old son who has been watching and cheering for Wasps since he was 4 and is currently sobbing his eyes out, how this “rugby family” thing works? Or explain what values rugby holds dear without sounding hypocritical."

🤭

skyblu3sk

"Perhaps someone can help me figure out how to talk to my 11 year old son who has been watching and cheering for Wasps since he was 4 and is currently sobbing his eyes out, how this “rugby family” thing works? Or explain what values rugby holds dear without sounding hypocritical."

🤭
The thing with rugby clubs is they can be a very family oriented thing. I used to play for a club a good number of years ago and you really gave a shit for the other folks around you. If we were on tour we were put up by the opposition families some times. They are going through that awkward teenage stage at the moment where they need to become businesses and that becomes an uncomfortable position as in football you lose touch with that family feel.

Otis

Ohh......wow. If only we had known this before.

7 ways to get rid of wasps.

Just did a Google search and it was there all along.

Follow these tips:
  1. Remove food sources. ...
  2. Seal all doors and windows (or install screens). ...
  3. Use wasp-repellent plants. ...
  4. Stay vigilant about nests. ...
  5. Cover or treat holes. ...
  6. Use natural remedies.
  7. Wait for them to go into administration

skybluetony176

NEC group have expressed an interest in the Arena side of the business then apparently. Not sure where that leaves us, other than tenets of course.

CCFC_Irish

What, now?

The previous ones were just small bids with add ons to make it up weren't they? Remember when he was on about shares of player sales etc etc.

Yeah, think he offered multiple add-ons but if I remember correctly it was shot down quite quickly.

CBS must be giving the council quite the headache.

duffer

I wouldn’t give a shit what a rugby fan says - it’s a culturally irrelevant sport frequented mostly by day trippers and casual fans. You can pretend that it’s just as important as the Football League if you like and insist they play by the same standards but even the clubs themselves wouldn’t agree with you.

I’m sure there are people upset that Wasps moved. I’d be sad if my local curry house decided to move to another city, but I’d get over it. Unless you’re seriously telling me that London Wasps was a community institution that needed to be protected at all costs, I don’t see why I should waste much energy being upset about it - most people involved with Wasps certainly didn’t.

As long as you don't care about a team you support being moved, like say Coventry City to Northampton, that's fine. Otherwise you're just being completely hypocritical. It's an attitude that completely sucks and shows no understanding or sympathy for anyone else.

Presumably you'd be outraged if Cov moved away again for "financial reasons" but you think people who supported Wasps their whole lives in London weren't equally upset?

You're kidding yourself mate - rugby fans care as much about their teams as football fans do, why the fuck wouldn't they?

duffer

Get you.

Although, to be honest, most of the ill feeling towards wasps stems from the fact they rocked up here. The stuff about franchising was just a covenient stick to beat them with and allowed for some easy accusations of hypocrisy. Had they moved to Doncaster none of us would have given a shit, agree on that.

Speak for yourself mate, of course it's hypocrisy if you're don't think your club should be moved but couldn't care less about someone else's. It deserves calling out as such.

You might not have heard about it as much here if Wasps went elsewhere obviously, because at the end of the day this is a Coventry City football site, not a Wasps or a rugby one. I think there's more than a few here who would have thought it wrong though.

rexo87

So if no one buys Wasps before next Tuesday, who is in charge of the stadium for our game next week and future games until a stadium buyer is found?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread