Wasps "fans" (1 Viewer)

Magwitch

I know a fair few from Birmingham that go to Wasps games, I think the lack of the 'coventry' in the name helps attract
Speaking of development plans it caught my eye that Wasps blather about buying land around the old Whitley Pumping station near the Higgs centre on Allard Way has come to nought, some other developer has taken a serious interest. Was in local rag a few weeks ago.
Think they are building a training centre I Leamington now.

torchomatic

You’re intentionally generalising to “sports clubs”, but there’s lots of sports where moving a club just isn’t a big deal compared to football. I don’t see protests about Blaze for example. I’m just saying I don’t know enough about rugby culture to know if it’s conparable.

Lucas: "Sports clubs should not be ripped from their community."

Next breath, "Welcome Wasps".

If it sounds like hypocrisy then chances are it is hypocrisy.

Captain Dart

shmmeee

Lucas: "Sports clubs should not be ripped from their community."

Next breath, "Welcome Wasps".

If it sounds like hypocrisy then chances are it is hypocrisy.

You got a source for that quote? I can’t find it using Google.

If true, I expect Blaze to be protested and not lauded on here.

Seeing as we are anti hypocrisy ;)

You won’t convince me the Wasps outrage is nothing but virtue signalling. Sorry.

Grendel

You won’t convince me the Wasps outrage is nothing but virtue signalling. Sorry.

It’s a completely different situation. Stop being deliberately obtuse.

Kneeza

I don’t know of anyone/know anyone who knows somebody who’s walked away from CRFC for wasps
I do. An entire family in fact. But they were always bell-ends and W*sps are very welcome to them.
One of them posts on their forum, and often purely to attack CCFC in very vitriolic terms, so they're doubly welcome!

Nick

Administrator
I do. An entire family in fact. But they were always bell-ends and W*sps are very welcome to them.
One of them posts on their forum, and often purely to attack CCFC in very vitriolic terms, so they're doubly welcome!
Raggs? Those ones are the strangest, new fans who seem to think they are superior now they support wasps

fernandopartridge

It's not that utter c**t Steve from Cov? I saw him referencing SBT the weapon

Kneeza

No, none of those.
I thought the Raggs type was a southern/original one? Not really taken much notice, so could be wrong.

torchomatic

It was on CWR when we'd gone to Sixfields.

Kneeza

Will be interesting to see this develop. Often though it was an under utilised part of town, especially with the influx of increased amounts of students in past 20 years
Still happening, still in discussions with developers.
The original thoughts were to develop the Butts Road end first, but now they are looking at starting at the Railway End and following with a West Stand (ie opposite the current one) which may well just be a small standing terrace initially, with the flexibility to expand backwards, add seats/boxes/more catering, as and when demand dictates
It's all fluid though, and obviously depends on finance and league status - and the maturity of Operation Premiership (I made that last phrase up :rolleyes:).
The first stage is replacing the pitch next spring, and increasing revenue from that, but also adding more hospitality/bars wherever becomes logical dependant on the chosen development route.

Kneeza

Oh, and one thing I can confirm for definite, is that finance has already been secured for phase 1, which includes the pitch at the very least.

Nick

Administrator
Oh, and one thing I can confirm for definite, is that finance has already been secured for phase 1, which includes the pitch at the very least.

It would be interesting to see how much it has helped Bedworth United. Since they got theirs they have loads more teams there, renting the pitch for tournaments and kids games etc so must have helped them out a fair bit.

I guess there is less money to be spent on maintaining it too?

Kneeza

3g pitches are pretty expensive to maintain in truth. Draw a parallel with a car, in that there is a rigid service schedule needed if the pitch/ vehicle is to remain safe and smooth running.
It's not like spraying a bit of oil on your pushbike's chain occasionally, or mowing the grass and heeling in a few divots.
One of the perceptions of artificial turf is of players coming off with shredded knees. That's absolutely not the case with a well-maintained one. But that costs.
Speaking to Eric The Grass at Cov, however, he'd rather keep his old-tech seeds and mower - but he's a geordie, so we have to make allowances ;)

Users who are viewing this thread