Walsall (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

mechaishida

Lol @ Burge. I don't want to get on either players back because they are probably suited to the lower end of this league or League 2 but they do stand out like a sore thumb against the other 9 players. Phillips is more erratic and dives in whilst Haynes either stands off or backs off. Gave the ball away or played the wrong ball on numerous occasions last night. Really hope the Swede lives up to expectations, push Stokes back out to left back and bring in a Reda/Turner to play alongside Ricketts. That position really is jinxed for us this season!!

See, I'm sure Ramage can play RB too, but perhaps his fitness is not quite optimal at the moment; very keen to see Lorentzson too, mate, he'll make a few waves down that right flank, imo.

It's difficult to keep a cool, level head sometimes, as a fan; this is a very, very promising season for us and we're blessed to have TM, MV, JC and the rest of the management team. I guess we all just our beloved team out of this Godforsaken league.

Otis

See, I'm sure Ramage can play RB too, but perhaps his fitness is not quite optimal at the moment; very keen to see Lorentzson too, mate, he'll make a few waves down that right flank, imo.

It's difficult to keep a cool, level head sometimes, as a fan; this is a very, very promising season for us and we're blessed to have TM, MV, JC and the rest of the management team. I guess we all just our beloved team out of this Godforsaken league.
I'm worried about Ramage at right back. Isn't the acceptance that he is a bit slow? A speedy winger could certainly expose that.

Anyway, anyone else get the feeling that Ramage may just be here as a contingency and that he might never actually play for us?

Now we know Martin could be out for up to six weeks, TM had to bring someone in and it could be that Ramage was a bit of a last minute panic move and all he could secure while he still searches for that elusive centre back he craves.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ramage is just the 'in case of an emergency player.' I know we have him signed til the end if the season, but that is probably the only deal we could do.

clint van damme

The bin is the best place for all 3 unfortunately. Phillips and Haynes defensively are dreadful. Their goal was always going to come from one of the flanks. Absolutely solid down the middle.

While I wouldn't disagree we need strengthening in the full back areas we sat back as a team last night and allowed Sawyer to take the piss which is why we conceded, albeit it came down the flanks

skybluepm2

While I wouldn't disagree we need strengthening in the full back areas we sat back as a team last night and allowed Sawyer to take the piss which is why we conceded, albeit it came down the flanks

I agree. Not sure if Cole going off was a coincidence but we looked like a completely different team from the one that played in the 1st half an hour. Can only blame ourselves for not killing the game off when we had the opportunity I suppose.

coop

Couldn't understand why we didn't put Vincelot on Sawyer he controlled there game and the only real problem, you could see that from the first couple of minutes.I'm quite happy with a point but but we need to start bagging the second goal and teams will have no way back(swindon just an unlucky day).

covcity4life

I'm worried about Ramage at right back. Isn't the acceptance that he is a bit slow? A speedy winger could certainly expose that.

Anyway, anyone else get the feeling that Ramage may just be here as a contingency and that he might never actually play for us?

Now we know Martin could be out for up to six weeks, TM had to bring someone in and it could be that Ramage was a bit of a last minute panic move and all he could secure while he still searches for that elusive centre back he craves.

Wouldn't surprise me if Ramage is just the 'in case of an emergency player.' I know we have him signed til the end if the season, but that is probably the only deal we could do.

considering we dont have that dominant CB i would think ramage will figure in next 6 weeks, hes gotta be better at cb than having haynes playing at lb?

Otis

considering we dont have that dominant CB i would think ramage will figure in next 6 weeks, hes gotta be better at cb than having haynes playing at lb?
I'm expecting TM to indeed bring in the type of centre back he is looking for though.

Then with Lorentzson fit, we can play Ricketts and the new signing plus Stokes back out on the left. That to me sounds a really strong back four (as long as the Swede is all they say he is and TM does bring in a CB with quality). Stokes and Ricketts are both really solid.

Joy Division

Disappointed to throw away the lead but really don't think our season is now a lost cause like some people are making out. Before the match I would have taken 4 points from both the Walsall and Burton games if somebody would have offered them to me, just means now we really could do with a win on Saturday and then both of those teams are out of the way. I'm confident we will do this.

I thought we were excellent in the first half in poor conditions, Walsall looked average at best. On another day Armstrongs chance would have gone in and would have wrapped the game up, that's football I guess.

Romaine Sawyers looked okay for them but I can't believe how much room we gave him, almost like we invited him to always cut in from the left hand side.

My ratings.

RCC - 7. Good save to tip onto the post and was impressed how often he quickly he came off his line
Phillips - 5. Was an easy target for Walsall, no wonder they put two men on him. Easy pickings for them.
Haynes - 6. Did okay but didn't seem on the same wavelength as the rest of the defense, should have been quicker to ask for the ball from RCC.
Ricketts - 6 Solid enough
Stokes - 8 Excellent game, won every header. Need him back at LB in place of Haynes but think he could be a good CB in the making
Fleck - 7 Tried to grab the game at the scruff of the neck in the second half, had more urgency then everyone else.
Vincelot 8 Superb, I think he's a real asset when he tries to get forward. Some great touches which I've not seen from him before
Cole - 6 Did okay, played some nice balls, good assist for the goal but think he played it a bit too safe.
JOB - 6 Lots of running, some nice touches but no real impact.
Murphy - 7 Excellent to have someone run at the defense and mostly he had the beating of the fullbacks, think he suffered from having a lack of options when he had the ball. Tired in the second half
Armstrong - 7 unlucky to not score a superb goal in the second half. Did well enough.

Subs
Maddison - 6 didn't see enough of the ball to make a real impact
MAF - 5 I understand TM's desire to want a big strong forward as an option but MAF unfortunately is that. Made no impact at all.

Joy Division

Disappointed to throw away the lead but really don't think our season is now a lost cause like some people are making out. Before the match I would have taken 4 points from both the Walsall and Burton games if somebody would have offered them to me, just means now we really could do with a win on Saturday and then both of those teams are out of the way. I'm confident we will do this.

I thought we were excellent in the first half in poor conditions, Walsall looked average at best. On another day Armstrongs chance would have gone in and would have wrapped the game up, that's football I guess.

Romaine Sawyers looked okay for them but I can't believe how much room we gave him, almost like we invited him to always cut in from the left hand side.

My ratings.

RCC - 7. Good save to tip onto the post and was impressed how often he quickly he came off his line
Phillips - 5. Was an easy target for Walsall, no wonder they put two men on him. Easy pickings for them.
Haynes - 6. Did okay but didn't seem on the same wavelength as the rest of the defense, should have been quicker to ask for the ball from RCC.
Stokes - 8 Excellent game, won every header. Need him back at LB in place of Haynes but think he could be a good CB in the making
Fleck - 7 Tried to grab the game at the scruff of the neck in the second half, had more urgency then everyone else.
Vincelot 8 Superb, I think he's a real asset when he tries to get forward. Some great touches which I've not seen from him before
Cole - 6 Did okay, played some nice balls, good assist for the goal but think he played it a bit too safe.
Murphy - 7 Excellent to have someone run at the defense and mostly he had the beating of the fullbacks, think he suffered from having a lack of options when he had the ball. Tired in the second half
Armstrong - 7 unlucky to not score a superb goal in the second half. Did well enough.

Subs
MAF - 5 I understand TM's desire to want a big strong forward as an option but MAF unfortunately is'nt that. Made no impact at all.

steveo1987

My ratings.

Subs
MAF - 5 I understand TM's desire to want a big strong forward as an option but MAF unfortunately is'nt that. Made no impact at all.

Murphy not really involved that much,he had the beating of the full back everytime in the first half but faded badly 2nd and made some poor decisions towards the end of the game when in potential good positions

Joy Division

Murphy not really involved that much,he had the beating of the full back everytime in the first half but faded badly 2nd and made some poor decisions towards the end of the game when in potential good positions

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Just think first half he was so quick to beat his man (men) that our other attacking players didn't keep up, but yes he faded badly in the second half.

George1

now that 6 points aren't up for grabs, I would take 2 points from the Walsall and Burton games, I think the important thing is we aren't losing ground on the teams around us, as long as we stay within touching distance we should have the squad depth to kick on when we get to an easier run of games, for instance the whole of February

fernandopartridge

Stokes could be out, Martin 6 weeks out, Willis out, Reda out, Lorentszon out and Turner had to be sent back because of injury. Luck hasn't been on our side with defensive injuries this season
Yet we have rarely conceded more than a goal in a match. Done well considering the injury problems.

fernandopartridge

It started before Cole went off. They had started to dominate possession in the second half but we did have a 5 minute flurry. We literally couldn't keep the ball in the last 20-25 mins it was 2-3 passes then lose it, Walsall looked like they had an extra player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
I believe that was the plan. You can't play at 100% for the whole game. Read what TM has said. It nearly worked but they got a late equaliser. You sound like an articulate version of Glen at the minute.

Tommystours

No mention then of the cynical body check that injured our guy running through ( Vincelot ??), on the edge of the box which was definitely a booking and as he was booked later in the game he would have been off.Ref gives a drop ball to the goalkeeper. ??? disgrace.The player goes down as if he has been shot and the ref does nothing 2 minutes later he is running around fine.WE need to be smarter. Too many teams are getting decisions and we just get on with it.

dadgad

In passages last night we looked class. First half we deserved the lead, ultimately a draw was fair result in an intriguing match between two good sides.
Armstrong is a great player, full of purpose and determination.
We seemed however to have no answer to being pushed back by their midfield until Fortune.
Maybe that should have happened earlier?

clint van damme

In passages last night we looked class. First half we deserved the lead, ultimately a draw was fair result in an intriguing match between two good sides.
Armstrong is a great player, full of purpose and determination.
We seemed however to have no answer to being pushed back by their midfield until Fortune.
Maybe that should have happened earlier?

get your tin hat on mate!!

Joy Division

No question it was a foul! Right in front of me.

Mowbray’s side had dominated the opening 20 minutes, but Armstrong’s strike was all they had to show for their efforts as Walsall stood firm defensively.

And slowly but surely, O’Driscoll’s men began to get their passing game going as they enjoyed a spell of possession around the Coventry box.

Laughable this bit, yeah their passing game...which was between their back four in their own 20 yards. :D

D

Deleted member 4439

Two paragraphs in this report implied that Murphy dived to get the free kick that led to our goal.
I don't really remember it , does anyone else ?

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/walsall-fc/2016/01/12/coventry-1-walsall-0-report/w1/

Just ridiculous.

Murphy turns his markers time and time again from that position, and never goes down. Would of been in a clear advantage position.

foul.jpg

The Walsall forum makes interesting reading - good number of posts saying that they were out-classed (which, to be honest, isn't quite how I would put it).

Last edited by a moderator:

stupot07

It's a clear foul their player(s) doesn't even contest it, just turns around and jobs back into position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

ajsccfc

Like Jacob Murphy, I always find it helps make my dives look authentic by having a defender clearly take my legs out from under me.

mark82

Just ridiculous.

Murphy turns his markers time and time again from that position, and never goes down. Would of been in a clear advantage position.

View attachment 4978

The Walsall forum makes interesting reading - good number of posts saying that they were out-classed (which, to be honest, isn't quite how I would put it).

They think they outclassed us? WTF. We were by far the better team first half and was more even second half with them edging it. Fair result but if any team looked "better" it was definitely us.

oakey

Has anyone posted player ratings for this match? If so I must have missed that. Ta in advance.

Otis

It wasn't until Fortune came on that our midfield got any respite. I am not a fan but if he had come on five minutes earlier we probably would have hung on.
Yep, agree.

TM clearly brought Fortune on to help protect the right side where Phillips was beginning to struggle and where JOB had faded badly!

Don't think Tudgay could have done that role and Bigi gives the ball away too much.

Made sense to bring Fortune on.

stupot07

Murphy was fooked last 10 minute, TM should have brought Lamieres on.

D

Deleted member 4439

They think they outclassed us? WTF. We were by far the better team first half and was more even second half with them edging it. Fair result but if any team looked "better" it was definitely us.

no, they were saying that they, Walsall, were outclassed: some very reasonable posts on that forum regarding the match - I'm almost beginning to view Walsall fans in new light...

Users who are viewing this thread